VW R32...Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking VW R32...Wow!

My oldest son just got himself a VW R32. These cars were never available in Canada, so he imported it from the US. He got it at Heritage VW in South Atlanta. He dealt with the Internet manager. Sale went smoothly. They drove it up to Philly. He took the plane to Philly yesterday, picked up the car at the airport, and got back home this PM.

The car drives and sounds great. Loads of power on tap, superb handling, great sport seats. OZ aftermarket 18" wheels, crossdrilled rotors, and of course it's the right color...black!

He's got this permanent smile on his face that looks like the one I had when I got the 951.

Pics to come...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my friend has one that he turbo'd with a t3/t4 turbo at 18.5 pounds made 463 awhp and 511 awtq...it is stupid fast...just squats and goes like a bat out of hell
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I drove one when they were new, lots of fun!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

what generation? the new ones with the dsg are fantastic cars but the MK4's (so I have been told) have a bullet proof transmission that can handle oodles of power. Regardless, both versions are fantastic cars!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ian Carr
what generation? the new ones with the dsg are fantastic cars but the MK4's (so I have been told) have a bullet proof transmission that can handle oodles of power. Regardless, both versions are fantastic cars!
See my Sig...it's an '04 MK4...6 speed manual.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

MK4 R32's are some great cars! VR6's sound sooo good.
Had some fun with a MK4 R32 on a simulated highway a few weeks ago in my S4...very evenly matched
Old 11-24-2009, 07:06 AM
DivineE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've a feeeling that the mk4 would be a lot better being lighter but I had a mk5 R32 when it was first released (only car I've ever had from new, got sold on the sound and practicality mix).. maybe I didn't give it a fair chance but after 6500miles I sold it because
a. it wasn't quick enough to justify the consumption, 9.7mpg over 150miles of mixed driving (motorway and backroad) was the worst I ever achieved and 14-16mpg on the way to work was typical. - yes I do have a heavy foot but '44 T would do/did low to mid 20's driven the same.
b. it felt so planted and safe that the only way to have real fun in it was to achieve higher and higher cornering G-forces, this is all well and good until one day you find yourself going around a corner you'd never normally be able to take at more than 50mph (tested) in a 944.. you enter it at 60 still on the brakes, get the car into a slide to avoid usual understeer, keep the throttle pinned to the floor to keep the car under control in the slide and watch the speed building as your already past the limits of all four tires at a slight angle of say 30-35* your amazed at the unrealistic speeds and G-force you're achieving whilst still somehow holding the correct line through the long bend. A glance at the speedo as you approach the exit of the reveals your at near 80mph but you know ‘and can now see’ the next bend almost immediately going the other way and tighter than the one your on. Your brain thinks fast, you start to ease off the throttle, the car goes more sideways as you realise the drive to the front wheels was all that was keeping you from spinning. You get back on the throttle, unwind the lock now feeling the panic of danger rather than the fun of adrenalin, the car starts to drift wide but straightens. You squeeze the brakes as you enter the next bend knowing the back is not yet straight and the weight is in the wrong place but you've got no choice. You must try to lose speed because you’re never going to make the next bend and its a LONG 20ft drop off the road if you don’t. The car responds to the excessive lock you've subconsciously added in and flicks back hard in the direction of the bend. The car throws itself round the next bend sprawling both lanes (lucky its quiet), having had the lucky break of keeping the car on the tarmac you manage to control the panic, finally remembering experience to gather it up and get it back under control with the throttle. You exit the S bends and decide the car is a bad influence and not worth losing your life over!
- you then proceed to buy another 944 and remember the joys of sliding around bends at safe speeds using the throttle slide rather than g-force.
Obviously this story is entirely fictional but I think it’s fair to say the R32 experience is not suitable for those with my character who are tempted to push limits.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

WoW Ben, that was like reading a letter titled "Dear Penthouse, I never thought these stories were real until the other day....haha

Nice catch....
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Euro951
Racer

Default R32

I can't believe I read that fictional story.... OMG

Please don't right that **** again.... what a waste of time...... you could have said, I drive like a moron and like to drift. I can't do that with a AWD car at slow speeds so I prefer RWD. hahaha... just kidding with the moron thing... fictional of course
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM
DivineE
Racer

Yes sorry I didn't mean to write an essay! I was trying to describe more the cycle you get stuck in with a 4wd where the speed is increasing you can't get off the power because you're already past the traction limit.

Try it on a large expance of tarmac in a circle and you'll soon see what I mean but hope my fictional example will make at least someone think before trying it.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
DivineE
Racer

Originally Posted by 333pg333
WoW Ben, that was like reading a letter titled "Dear Penthouse, I never thought these stories were real until the other day....haha

Nice catch....

Dear Penthouse? Excuse my ignorance?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

There is a problem with the r32 though...a stock r32 vs. a lightly modified 1.8t (chipped, exhaust, intake) The 1.8t will win in a race
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin@Endlessdetails
There is a problem with the r32 though...a stock r32 vs. a lightly modified 1.8t (chipped, exhaust, intake) The 1.8t will win in a race
Yes. But the R32 is much cooler to start with. And a modded 1.8T doesn't come with the nice seats, AWD, or that wicked cool exhaust sound.

My wife beat out an '04 R32 at the last PCA auto-X she ran in her '03 GTI 1.8T. The R32 had sticky tires and an aftermarket exhaust, otherwise stock IIRC. My wife's car is chipped, stiffer springs and shocks, Porsche brakes, + sticky tires. She beat him by about a second and a half on a 60s course.

However, she kept asking me, "What would it take to make my car sound as cool as his???"
Old 11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

unplug the vacuum line that runs to the rear of the exhaust! it makes it sound nice all the time instead of when your just on the throttle
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineE
Dear Penthouse? Excuse my ignorance?
Ahh, you're probably too young. Penthouse was (is?) a magazine sort of like a raunchier Playboy and people supposedly wrote in tales of their sexual conquests. It was just your story seemed to start and rise to a crescendo much like those letters to Penthouse....or so I'm led to believe.

Quick Reply: VW R32...Wow!