Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

manual 968 mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:31 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual 968 mirrors

As part of my rebuild I am going to replace the 944 mirrors with 968/993 aero mirrors. As it is a race car I am happy to go with the aftermarket ones such as PAragon has however I want manual ones not electri. Anyone know of a source or easy way to convert them?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I've never understood the attraction myself i realy feel they don't suit the styling of the car .
I would sujjest one of the many basic and light race car mirrors dtm style F1 style m3 style Audie style
Old 11-08-2009, 11:59 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I'm sure there is a DIY way to gut power mirrors into manuals.

Can't you move power mirrors manually? Lol
Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Sunset sells the manual mirrors as well as the pwered ones. I have a set of them on my 951. Call Jeff, he can get you the right part number.

The weight difference between the powered and non-powered mirrors is probably about three ounces total for both sides. The motor makes very little difference.

Regards,
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Dan,

I would have thought that 968 Club Sports would have come with manual mirrors but doesnt look like it according to PET. 964 RS America's do have manual aero mirrors, but their base is for 911 doors so you would have to buy the 968 base for them separately. If Sunset has figured out or put together a set for the manual 968 door mirror assemblies - that might be your only/easiest choice.

Originally Posted by sh944
The weight difference between the powered and non-powered mirrors is probably about three ounces total for both sides. The motor makes very little difference.
Agree - I gutted the motors and wiring out of a pair of flag mirrors, and probably saved more weight by removing the spare change found under the driver seat.

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
I've never understood the attraction myself i realy feel they don't suit the styling of the car .
I would sujjest one of the many basic and light race car mirrors dtm style F1 style m3 style Audie style
Have to run a Porsche Factory Mirror housing on the car in PCA club racing stock classes.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Have to run a Porsche Factory Mirror housing on the car in PCA club racing stock classes.
PCA rules allow non-stock mirrors to be used.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
PCA rules allow non-stock mirrors to be used.
Not in the stock classes - they have to be a factory mirror housing. Dont have to be vintage correct, meaning you can run aero mirrors on a 944 - but you cannot run some aftermarket mirror on the car as gt37 suggested.

"N. Any Porsche factory exterior mirror from a street car is allowed."
Old 11-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Ahh, gotcha.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Dan,

I would have thought that 968 Club Sports would have come with manual mirrors but doesnt look like it according to PET.
Hey Jim,

I think PET must be off or superceded in one of the many updates. I know that some 968CS cars came with the manual mirrors. Now whether or not this was an "option" or "standard" I cannot verify. I've read it as being that way "standard"....but I'm not certain. I should take a look in the "Excellence Was Expected" volume tonite to see if it says anything about it specifically. But I have seen numerous photos of the interior of 968CS cars where there is the simple blank plate on the corner of the door card like the factory TurboCup cars that deletes the mirror adjustment.

Just a quick internet search on 968CS yielded this, although again I can't say it's "gospel":

Rushed out to try to generate some sales from the traditional enthusiast Porsche buyer, the 968 Club Sport was released to a sceptical media in December 1992. Costing nearly 20% less than a standard 968, the Club Sport harked back to the days of the proper Porsche - the RS. Trim levels were very basic, and was only offered in five exterior colours (Black, Maritime Blue, Guards Red, White and Speed Yellow) with the single interior option - black cloth. As standard, bucket Recaro seats were specified, with colour-coordinated back rests, along with a bold 'Club Sport' decal running the length of the sills and colour-coorinated alloy wheels. The decal and wheel colour could be customer deleted - this was the recession, after all. Rear seats were deleted, as were the standard springs (replaced with stiffer examples), heated windows, rear wiper, electric mirror adjustment, electric boot release and the standard battery and alternator.
Jeremy
Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Rechecked - found where PET does show the manual mirror guts for the 968CS, missed that before (809-25, #'s 34-37).

What I still didnt find is the entire mirror assembly part #'s. It just has the separate part numbers for all the individual pieces, from the housing to mirror glass, to mounting base, gasket, washers, screws etc. That would not be the way to order a pair of assemblies ($$$)....
Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Rechecked - found where PET does show the manual mirror guts for the 968CS, missed that before (809-25, #'s 34-37).

What I still didnt find is the entire mirror assembly part #'s. It just has the separate part numbers for all the individual pieces, from the housing to mirror glass, to mounting base, gasket, washers, screws etc. That would not be the way to order a pair of assemblies ($$$)....

Ah, OK. Good.

When I ordered a set of the manual 968 mirrors from Sunset, I couldnt use one# for the entire assembly. It consisted of a crapload of individual part#'s, some having 944 part#'s, some 965#'s, etc. Thank goodness the person at Sunset had all of the #'s already configured somewhere to check what I needed.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

One way is to order the manual mirrors from the RS America and also get 944/948 bases and gaskets. I seem to recall the kit is cheaper than the sum of its parts, and the extra 964 bases and gaskets could be sold. It's the bases that are different between model lines.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 PM
DanR
Drifting

thanks guys, great advice!

Quick Reply: manual 968 mirrors