HP how much for street?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Great example I agree.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Power wise I'm leaving my car pretty much stock. 3" exhaust, LBE, and a Weltmeister chip is enough. Just quick enough to be fun. These cars have enough reliability issues without trying to pump 400 hp through it (when they were originally designed to be 217.)

Past experience though - generally ~350rwhp is about the limit for street fun. I recall my buddy's old LS1 T/A was a blast to drive on the street with basic bolt-ons (put down 326rwhp.) Once he ported the heads and put a big cam in it (~425rwhp), while the car became a whole lot faster, it was less fun. You had NO traction until damn near 3rd gear - everything until then was wheelspin. So in order to get the rush of fast acceleration, you pretty much waited until 3rd. And by that point, you were already doing 80+. A big ticket no matter what state you're in. When it was stock, 1st gear was snotty and squirrelly, and you still got traction and a good shove in the back in 2nd, making it fun to squirt up to (or just past) the speed limit. My old Z06 was around 370 at the wheels with an intake and long tubes, but it also had traction to hook up (though just barely.) Any more power and it would just spin.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nyysr
944obscene dont forget when running againt an SRT8 you will more than likely be running from a 30+ MPH roll where the 3700 on the srt8 is barly a factor at that point.

Weight is a major factor at any speed.(It does become less of an issue only at very high speeds because the air drag evens out the playing field somewhat). The same amount of turning force at the wheels which has to move a greater mass will show up in less acceleration directly proportional to that increase in weight. That's huge!
It's true; at 350 crank hp our cars will hang with most of the fast cars out there. Partly because we also have a good fat torque curve accompanying that bhp, but mostly because most 350 hp production cars nowadays are all heavier (by various amounts) than we are.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 AM
nyysr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Weight is a major factor at any speed.(It does become less of an issue only at very high speeds because the air drag evens out the playing field somewhat). The same amount of turning force at the wheels which has to move a greater mass will show up in less acceleration directly proportional to that increase in weight. That's huge!

i dissagree i can see your point in a twisty road but in a straight line this is simply not the case.
the load on the motor to get the car moving from a dead stop is no where near he load once moving 30+ mph

my brother has a 403 RWHP SRT8 he beats all my friends c6s from 30 mph on but from a dead stop they get the jump slightly then he walks away.
he raced a NEW c6 from 60 on and it was DEAD even to about 145.
granted my brothers 300 SRT8 is brick in the wind but i think you get the point.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont know what my car power-wise , but it is faster than a C5 Z06 from 60-120 in my experience.

Plenty fast and I'm sure once I fix my terrible exhaust leaks I'll get some more "free" power. Traction is an issue at greater than 15psi or is it cooler than 50*F. Any more and the car feels overpowered for what it is.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no such thing as too much power.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:53 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weight has almost zero factor at 120-140+speeds... its all about aerodynamics and hp/torque to blast through it. weight becomes less of a factor as much as that "wall of wind" at the higher speeds.

Quick Reply: HP how much for street?