Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Failed California emission badly

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009 | 12:56 AM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
+100, get another retest with the TPS connected, and you can try cleaning the AFM traces... pop the top off the afm, and clean the arc shaped traces...

http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/elect-22.pdf

I would do these things, then start looking for parts to buy... just replacing pieces can get very expensive quickly...
Ageed! But would the Throttle Position Sensor make it run rich like this? Man, the pre test was $49.95, almost a couple of injectors...

BTW - I am pissed at the shop that I took it to. They failed the car and noted that the TPS was not connected. Why the hell didnt the tech just plug it in? It was right there. Very weak.

I did test the AFM per Clarks instruction. It is ok. I have not tested the DME Temp Sensor yet.

I guess the retest will have to wait until monday. I cant find a place that tests on Sunday. Also, I am waiting for my H&R spacers. The tires that are on the car are the same ones that sat for over 5 years and are compltely dry rotted. I cant do too much driving.

I'll up date once the retest is done.
Old 10-11-2009 | 12:54 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Gotta Love YouTube! Good links to AFM cleaning / adjustment....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11J8XawQtc

And - FRwilk has a good write up on the repair of teh DME http://www.frwilk.com/
Old 10-11-2009 | 01:07 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluemach1
The tires that are on the car are the same ones that sat for over 5 years and are compltely dry rotted. I cant do too much driving.

If you want a good set of Bridgestone SO-3's I have a set in a larger 951 size (225-45/16) and (245-45/16) if you have stock Turbo PD'sd on there now. They have been sitting in my dry shed for 2 years and have 70% + tread left. I need the space and they don't fit anything I own anymore. You can have all 4 for $75 picked up in Elk Grove.
Old 10-11-2009 | 01:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

+1 on plugging in the TPS before doing anything else. I have a wideband and have, by mistake, run the motor with the TPS disconnected. My motor runs very rich (10:1 or so) with the TPS disconnected. I couldn't even get it into closed loop with my piggyback computer, it was so far off. I plugged the TPS back in, and the ratio when right back into closed loop.
Old 10-11-2009 | 04:29 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
If you want a good set of Bridgestone SO-3's I have a set in a larger 951 size (225-45/16) and (245-45/16) if you have stock Turbo PD'sd on there now. They have been sitting in my dry shed for 2 years and have 70% + tread left. I need the space and they don't fit anything I own anymore. You can have all 4 for $75 picked up in Elk Grove.
Thanks for the offer but I picked up a set of twists a week ago with decent rubber on them. I hope to see my spacers Monday or Tuesday.

Today I went ahead and did the cleaning and re-adjustment of the AFM per clarks instructions. Not a whole lot of difference.

Something that I had not paid attention to until now (and that is because the tech noted that the idle was low) is that the idle is not really stable. It seems better at warm than cold. If you stab the accelerator and quickly let it off, the idle may drop to around the 500 range. if you slowly rev it back up it will stablize around 800ish (going by dash tach). I need to get an external tack on it and see what is really going on.

I deffinitly notice hesitation when it is colder.

Could it be the TPS itself that is bad?
Old 10-11-2009 | 05:43 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Is my ICV installed backwards??? I was just checking things out and noticed I had installed it with the arrow pointing toward the intake. Should this actually be pointing the other way? I just put the new one in like the old one was installed.

Any know for sure which way is correct?
Old 10-11-2009 | 08:01 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Youtube of my car erratic idling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvM2iwfCfqE

Youtube of the stuff coming out of the tailpipe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NPJvhBcl0M
Old 10-12-2009 | 10:40 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Pulled the fuel injectors tonight. #4 looked very bad. Had visible chunks of junk.

Sending them up to witchhunter in the morning (thanks for the recommendation kuhl 951). I went ahead and ordered a TPS to have on hand in case its not just the injectors.
Old 10-13-2009 | 03:45 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

With those NO numbers your cat is fine.

I have posted lots of times that our cars have a hard time passing CA emissions even when they are running perfectly unless the cat is functional, and a 20+ y/o cat often isn't. In your case the high HC suggests other problems. It's possible you may end up replacing the catalytic converter, but don't start there.
Old 10-14-2009 | 10:31 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

OK. Sent the injectors to Witch Hunter. Got a call from them today. One of them was unserviceable. The Pintle was gone on it. That means it was just dumping fuel like crazy!

It will be interesting to get them back and see how this thing is really supposed to run.

Ted
Old 10-14-2009 | 10:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bluemach1
OK. Sent the injectors to Witch Hunter. Got a call from them today. One of them was unserviceable. The Pintle was gone on it. That means it was just dumping fuel like crazy!

It will be interesting to get them back and see how this thing is really supposed to run.

Ted
I have a set of recently rebuilt, stock 951 injectors if you need a set....

Is whichhunter going to replace the unservicable injector?

If not you can also get new injectors.. http://www.injector.com/fuelinjectors.php
Old 10-14-2009 | 11:01 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Thanks for the offer JohnKoaWood. Yes, Witch Hunter happened to have one that they are going to process with the three of mine that were good.

I am really excited to get this back together!
Old 10-28-2009 | 04:11 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Default SUCCESS!!!

After sending the injectors to Witchhunter and replacing the TPS I was able to finally pass emissions!

Here are the results:
Name:  scan0001.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  108.8 KB
Old 10-28-2009 | 05:50 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Congrats. Those are good numbers for a 951. I've found mine always did better on cooler days like we've had lately. You are lucky you never got the Gross Polluter albatross thrown around your neck like I got from the PO who took it in without a cat and running a nasty Guru chip. Once on that list you never get off it.
Old 10-28-2009 | 09:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Congrats. Those are good numbers for a 951. I've found mine always did better on cooler days like we've had lately. You are lucky you never got the Gross Polluter albatross thrown around your neck like I got from the PO who took it in without a cat and running a nasty Guru chip. Once on that list you never get off it.
So, does that mean you have to test every year?

Quick Reply: Failed California emission badly