Oil cooler exit temps - any experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil cooler exit temps - any experience

I installed a sender near the exit on my RX7 oil cooler. Then I wired it into my VDO gauge with a rear wiper switch. One way monitors oil temp at the big banjo bolt under the turbo and the other is on the exit of the oil cooler.

What I am seeing so far is that on my 30 min to 40 min commute to work I barely get a reading on the cool side - yesterday the most I saw was about 140 degrees F. On the hot side it gets up to 240 or 250 degrees F. The oil cooler thermostat is brand new and the updated 95 degree C one.

Just wondering if anyone else has monitored oil temp out of the cooler and what sort of numbers they saw under what conditions.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

is your commute mostly freeway?

try flogging the hell out of it and then take note of your temperatures. but good to know that big cooler does a good job
Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's clever...
pretty effective too, 140F is nice...
240-250 right out of the turbo doesn't sound too bad either...

what were the ambient OA temps?

edit: excellent, you even labeled the switch! how'd you do that?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had 300 deg out of the turbo at the track with a RX7 cooler.
Will move the sensor to the pan drain plug instead to get true sump readings.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you using correct VDO sensors?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 AM
edh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a big drop - I wonder how much of your flow is going through the cooler at those temps? I'd suggest you try & measure oil going into the engine instead.

I have a Setrab cooler in line with the factory cooler & 2 senders - in sump plug, & in sandwich plate under filter, switched to a single gauge.

In road driving, oil temps stay very steady at 90C. If you push a bit harder you can see the effect of the cooler when the oil temp climbs towards 100 & the stat opens. The filter oil temp quickly drops to 80 ish, before moving back to a steady state at 90

On the track, after 15-20 mins hard driving, sump temps seem to be IRO 10-20C higher than inlet temps. I have seen 130+C sump temps before I added the Setrab - now maxing at around 120. My last track outing saw oil temps pretty stable, but the coolant get hot. I'm now running more boost, so making the cooling system work harder.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurPE
that's clever...
pretty effective too, 140F is nice...
240-250 right out of the turbo doesn't sound too bad either...

what were the ambient OA temps?

edit: excellent, you even labeled the switch! how'd you do that?
Worked up a label in Microsoft Paint - black letters on white background and then reversed the image colors. It is actually printed on one of the UPS labels you can feed through an inkjet printer. Probably won't hold up to a lot of abuse but it is easy to make another

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Are you using correct VDO sensors?
I thought I was but I agree that it is too big a disparity. I think I am going to buy a new sensor as they are so cheap. Maybe I have a small air bubble in the cooler too.

Originally Posted by edh
That's a big drop - I wonder how much of your flow is going through the cooler at those temps? I'd suggest you try & measure oil going into the engine instead.

I have a Setrab cooler in line with the factory cooler & 2 senders - in sump plug, & in sandwich plate under filter, switched to a single gauge.

In road driving, oil temps stay very steady at 90C. If you push a bit harder you can see the effect of the cooler when the oil temp climbs towards 100 & the stat opens. The filter oil temp quickly drops to 80 ish, before moving back to a steady state at 90

On the track, after 15-20 mins hard driving, sump temps seem to be IRO 10-20C higher than inlet temps. I have seen 130+C sump temps before I added the Setrab - now maxing at around 120. My last track outing saw oil temps pretty stable, but the coolant get hot. I'm now running more boost, so making the cooling system work harder.
Ahh - perfect - thanks for all the #s to compare with!

Quick Reply: Oil cooler exit temps - any experience