Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Gas Cap or replace seal??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:14 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Gas Cap or replace seal??

I still have some issues w/ gas smell, When I park the car for a while thenb get in it reaks of gas. I pulled the sender and replaced the gasket from a parts car on hand which it seemed new and good. I want to replace the gas cap seal, not sure if I need to buy the entire cap or not.

I feel that it is something else, but will start here first.

BTW I pulled the cover over the filler neck in the hatch and deleted all the emissions stuff and have it running under the car in a gas filter. Many people who have done this have noit noticed any noticeable gas smell. Mine was bad befor this, which is why I deleted the carbon canister.

Thanks
Steve
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Is your gas filler neck deformed out-of-round, perhaps? Many years of leaving a fuel nozzle hanging in it will cause it to become deformed into an oval. You can use a big channel-locker to gently make it round again.

My 84 had this issue and often the gas would slosh out past the cap and all over the fender. Now it stopped.

You might also check the fuel lines under the car, maybe one is leaking? My dad's f150 did this... at least it wasn't leaking onto anything bad. Just the exhaust pipe.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a fuel smell also when on hard left turns...i.e. putting fuel pressure/swish towards the tank/cap.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The filler neck looks round. I am going to look closer under it on friday. I plan to just change items one at a time, and pull the tank as a last resort. Just curious if I have to throw out the cap if I cant get a new seal or gasket for it?

Thanks
Steve.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep you can replace the gasket my Turbos S failed smog because of the gas cap, just got a cheap one at a part store and pulled the gasket from it and put it on the original gas cap.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 AM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Is your gas filler neck deformed out-of-round, perhaps? Many years of leaving a fuel nozzle hanging in it will cause it to become deformed into an oval. You can use a big channel-locker to gently make it round again.

My 84 had this issue and often the gas would slosh out past the cap and all over the fender. Now it stopped.

You might also check the fuel lines under the car, maybe one is leaking? My dad's f150 did this... at least it wasn't leaking onto anything bad. Just the exhaust pipe.
I always feel like the nozzle is gonna fall out unless I hold it in there (yes, i realize this sounds horrible haha) so I've never let go of the nozzle when I'm fueling up (again, sounds horrible!) If you do let go will it just kind of wedge itself against the filler neck without falling out?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, the concept is to stick the nozzle all the way in, lean it down, and let its weight hold it wedged in, so you can walk away. But I always stand there and hold the nozzle up, so it doesn't lean on the filler neck.

I like to hold my nozzle and pull it out when I'm done.

Quick Reply: New Gas Cap or replace seal??