Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DIY Tuning walk-through (TunerPro)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
joeytoad83
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
In terms of hardware all we need is the Ostrich 2.0 and that will interface directly with laptop via USB?

yes, once you purchase the ostrich it comes with the usb cable to connect to your pc, and the ribbon cable and connectors to connect to you dme.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joeytoad83
yes, once you purchase the ostrich it comes with the usb cable to connect to your pc, and the ribbon cable and connectors to connect to you dme.
And if you have the 24pin DME you need the socket booster as well.

-Rogue
Old 09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
joeytoad83
Rennlist Member

yep and if you buy them at the same time he takes 10 off the socket booster
Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Zuba951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
How does MaxTune save the .bin? If it is saved as a normal .bin then you should just be able to load it from the file...

-Rogue
Maxtune saves the .bin file (chip image) in the Maxtronic as a normal .bin but the “ .bin” is replaced by the slot number. So 86stockchip.bin if loaded in slot number 7 for example is 86stockchip.007 now when I read my Maxtronic (ostrich 1.0 I believe ) back into Maxtune it saves all the slots, all 8 of them .000 to .007 to Program Files/Maxhpkit/bins/slots. So copy the slot image you want 86stockchip.007 and rename it 86stockchip.bin and then you can open it in TunerPro or burn it to a chip…

Does the ostrich 2.0 work this way with Maxtune?

Brian
86 951
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Zuba951
Rennlist Member

The KLR chip does not need to be changed.

-Rogue
Rogue

What is the difference between a stock KLR chip and say a Weltmeister KLR chip? I have a Welt KLR chip in my car now and I planned on leaving it there.

Brian
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Zuba951
Maxtune saves the .bin file (chip image) in the Maxtronic as a normal .bin but the “ .bin” is replaced by the slot number. So 86stockchip.bin if loaded in slot number 7 for example is 86stockchip.007 now when I read my Maxtronic (ostrich 1.0 I believe ) back into Maxtune it saves all the slots, all 8 of them .000 to .007 to Program Files/Maxhpkit/bins/slots. So copy the slot image you want 86stockchip.007 and rename it 86stockchip.bin and then you can open it in TunerPro or burn it to a chip…

Brian
86 951
I don't have MaxTune, so I do not know much about it...
Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Rogue

What is the difference between a stock KLR chip and say a Weltmeister KLR chip? I have a Welt KLR chip in my car now and I planned on leaving it there.

Brian
Are you still running the cycling valve? If so, the Welt KLR chip will give a little bit more boost then stock.

If you are running a Manual or Electronic Boost Controller, then the KLR chip is insignificant.

-Rogue
Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Brian
86 951
Great info, that worked!

West
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Supernotch93
Instructor

Are you able to use ScannerPro while using the TProRT to assist in monitoring and data logging? Also do you have an .ads file or which one in the bundle can I use for a 1988 turbo?

Kris
Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

think this would work with an NA computer which i believe is still 24-pin?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Supernotch93
Are you able to use ScannerPro while using the TProRT to assist in monitoring and data logging? Also do you have an .ads file or which one in the bundle can I use for a 1988 turbo?

Kris
An ALDL requires a datastream from the DME. The DME is able to output a serial data stream; unfortunately, this ability is disabled in the factory coding.
So no logging at the moment.
However, the next version _should_ be out shortly. It includes the cool stuff from ScannerPro, and will do direct scan / cell tracing! When it is publically available, I'll make sure to update the files necessary to support it.

-Rogue
Old 09-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
think this would work with an NA computer which i believe is still 24-pin?
Which NA has a removable 24pin EPROM...?
PM me.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:40 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Great work , wasn't aware of the OverBoost MAP and Low RPM limit locations, for those wanting to run the stock cycling valve and a little more boost the former would be essential.
Am a little skeptical of the value of converting to AFR in the fuel maps but maybe if you are running the stock afm maybe it is valid, easy to turn the conversion off in the XDF if you want to see the raw values anyhow.
edit one other question maybe it has already been covered but given the 3 replications of the fuel and timing maps people would need to make sure they are configured to access the (1st) one that the XDF file is setup to look at. ALso I see that there is a right click toggle to see raw values which is handy,
cheers
Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Hally, I really appreciate the comments

You are correct of the need to be configured to access the 1st set of maps.

*Note for everyone* You cannot have a region or coding plug installed and use this DIY.

Also, the OverBoost MAP is not just for those running the stock cycling valve. This map needs to be raised above the boost pressure that you run normally, otherwise the DME will cut fuel because of triggered overboost.

And finally, the AFR is only going to be fairly accurate for those running the stock AFM, without a piggy-back.

-Rogue
Old 10-01-2009, 04:00 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Also, the OverBoost MAP is not just for those running the stock cycling valve. This map needs to be raised above the boost pressure that you run normally, otherwise the DME will cut fuel because of triggered overboost.

-Rogue
OK good to know, I guess that must have been covered off in the aftermarket AFM chips that I have used as a base. cheers

Quick Reply: DIY Tuning walk-through (TunerPro)