Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

smoke filling up the cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:45 AM
introuble
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke filling up the cockpit

So i go in my car to take a night drive (cooler air is more fun to drive in). I start the car and everything is fine until I turn on the lights. Within 2 seconds the cabin is filled with smoke. I immediately shut everything down and get out of the car. The smoke clear and I start to do some research. Under the dash there are no signs of burned wires - everything looks clean. Now the only lights in the car that work are the brake lights, headlights and fog lights. No marker lights, rear lights or dash lights work. The only thing I can think of is when i turned the lights on is when smoke appeared and the light switch seems more difficult to turn. The part number is 944.613.531.00. This switch controls the power to all the lights in the car so I think this might just need to be replaced.

Any thoughts or has this happened to anyone else?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:36 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you "smoked" your light switch... pardon the pun..

Which reminds me, I need to get a fire extinguisher....
Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by introuble
So i go in my car to take a night drive (cooler air is more fun to drive in). I start the car and everything is fine until I turn on the lights. Within 2 seconds the cabin is filled with smoke. I immediately shut everything down and get out of the car. The smoke clear and I start to do some research. Under the dash there are no signs of burned wires - everything looks clean. Now the only lights in the car that work are the brake lights, headlights and fog lights. No marker lights, rear lights or dash lights work. The only thing I can think of is when i turned the lights on is when smoke appeared and the light switch seems more difficult to turn. The part number is 944.613.531.00. This switch controls the power to all the lights in the car so I think this might just need to be replaced.

Any thoughts or has this happened to anyone else?
Pm me with your address and I'll send you a replacement switch.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 AM
introuble
Advanced

So the switch from Lart showed up today (much appreciated) and I went to go install it and the same damn thing happened. The lights turned on (switch did work) and then smoke filled the area - jeez i felt like cheech and chong again.

The key was not in any position, in fact the key was not even in the ignition. As soon as I plugged the wiring harness into the switch is when it happened. My guess is the switch was in the on position when it was connected.

When the short takes place the light don't work anymore (same issue as before), so I guess that the short is burning out the switch.

It would seem like the place to start would be the power wire to the harness, but does anyone have a diagram to this? Any advice?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by introuble
So the switch from Lart showed up today (much appreciated) and I went to go install it and the same damn thing happened. The lights turned on (switch did work) and then smoke filled the area - jeez i felt like cheech and chong again.

The key was not in any position, in fact the key was not even in the ignition. As soon as I plugged the wiring harness into the switch is when it happened. My guess is the switch was in the on position when it was connected.

When the short takes place the light don't work anymore (same issue as before), so I guess that the short is burning out the switch.

It would seem like the place to start would be the power wire to the harness, but does anyone have a diagram to this? Any advice?
I might have another extra switch. but the problem might be somewhere else.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 AM
introuble
Advanced

Originally Posted by lart951
I might have another extra switch. but the problem might be somewhere else.
I agree. Both switches are toast because something is shorting them out. I really don't want to go on an electrical gremlin chase (i hate those) and this seems like it would take a while due to the switch controlling power to every light in the car.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look for a short were the headlight wiring cable makes a bend during the headlight retraction. You need to peal back the black outer sheath and look at the insulation on the wires. You might find is that the insulation has cracked and you can see bare wires. I sent you a PM
Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 AM
introuble
Advanced

last thing to post for tonight.

With the switch still burned out I can turn on the head lights and driving lights but nothing else works. The switch is still getting power but to nothing else. What I find also interesting is the head light wont retract/ go down. This is about as much diagnosis as I can provide tonight until further research.
Thanks for all your help so far....
Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe the problem is in the headlight motor circuit. Make a complete list of what works and what doesn't. Then you can find the common circuit coming out of the switch for the devices that do not work. What year is the car?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 PM
introuble
Advanced

Thats a good idea.
The year is 1986.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only other person here wishing there car had a freaking Cockpit? That would be bad ***..

Quick Reply: smoke filling up the cockpit