Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CV Joint noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default CV Joint noise.

Recently started hearing metalic clunking noises from the drivers side rear. Sounded like CV joints to me. I checked for loose bolts, but all were tight.
I decided to make a small cut in each boot and fill the CV joint up with grease. I used a needle nose grease gun attachment that just slips over the regular grease gun end. I filled both boots full and then cleaned the area around the slit with varsol and then sealed it with gasket maker silicone I had left over from a rear end job on my Jeep. All is now quiet and grease seems to be staying in.

My question is, How long do you think this will last? I am hoping to get another 2 months of driving (approx. 1200 miles) out of it before I put it away for the winter. I realize I will need another shaft and CV's, but hope to wait until next year. Any comments?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

You may not need new ones, they may just have been low on grease. It's easy enough to pull the shafts and grease the CV's properly.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:41 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I am going to have to do mine over the winter... Please let me know what you decide to do, maybe we can get a bulk discount on them up here....

Quick Reply: CV Joint noise.