Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any special edition Turbo S's in 88? Barn find.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice find, what's the car to the right of it?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all know that sitting for long extended periods of time is the worst thing for a car. Realistically between it not having run for ten years & and an electrical problem, there will probably be a lot of work to go into the car. Chasing electrical gremlins not mentioning ten year old ones, plus other potential failed parts from sitting might have it's challenges. Adding to the list - belts, hoses, fuel lines, etc. etc. which all need to be done immediately, there is plenty to do.

The body work looks simple enough, but metallic's like that are difficult to match & blend. I had Baltic Blue which the metallic caused the color to flip/change in different light. It really was very difficult to match right. Having said that, with time and money, the car looks to have the potential to be very nice. I wanted a Glacier Blue when I bought the Black one I now have. I gave up on that after searching/waiting a while and learning there were so few of them around, particularly with low miles.

I'd keep it, but wouldn't track it. Even though Porsche set the S car's up for weekend track fun, nowadays you can put better than S parts on another less valuable or let's say more common 951 chassis that you mind not mind beating the hell out of quite as much.

If you decide to sell it as is, contact me first please.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:56 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I say do whatever you want to do with it. I'm slowly converting mine to a track car, and that wasn't even my initial intent.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:01 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I say do whatever you want to do with it. I'm slowly converting mine to a track car.
And I will. A non-track Porsche is not an option. I bought the first one to replace the old track car project (see sig). With three kids and two other classic cars, a third weekend driver is something I can't justify (and the kids can fit in the Bronco and GTO). Either this one will go, or the one next to it will go. Whichever one doesn't will get more parts to make it a more capable track car.

THe biggest problem is that the cars just aren't worth what they used to be. It is getting to the point where it would be cheaper to just buy an S than to upgrade a non-S. I'm watching the prices on a few that are on ebay right now. And once I get it running, I may do some more searching. But if I wouldn't be able to get more than $10K out of it without investing in paint, then I think I'll be selling the white one next to it, instead.......and making this one the track car.

I appreciate all of the input, guys. And I understand your position. My GTO is all numbers matching, and when I first got it, I was nutso about keeping it bone stock. So much so that I was not able to enjoy the car as much as had I been willing to modify it when it would have made the car better. I learned my lesson, and swore I'd never do that, again.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by 67King
And I will. A non-track Porsche is not an option. I bought the first one to replace the old track car project (see sig). With three kids and two other classic cars, a third weekend driver is something I can't justify (and the kids can fit in the Bronco and GTO). Either this one will go, or the one next to it will go. Whichever one doesn't will get more parts to make it a more capable track car.

THe biggest problem is that the cars just aren't worth what they used to be. It is getting to the point where it would be cheaper to just buy an S than to upgrade a non-S. I'm watching the prices on a few that are on ebay right now. And once I get it running, I may do some more searching. But if I wouldn't be able to get more than $10K out of it without investing in paint, then I think I'll be selling the white one next to it, instead.......and making this one the track car.

I appreciate all of the input, guys. And I understand your position. My GTO is all numbers matching, and when I first got it, I was nutso about keeping it bone stock. So much so that I was not able to enjoy the car as much as had I been willing to modify it when it would have made the car better. I learned my lesson, and swore I'd never do that, again.
Awesome! What are your plans? Keeping the M030 suspension and just refreshing it? What engine mods (if any) will you be going with?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:22 PM
67King
Race Car

Awesome! What are your plans? Keeping the M030 suspension and just refreshing it? What engine mods (if any) will you be going with?
Well, I've already got Ledas, but not the bars. So I'll keep the bars, but put on the Leda's. I've also got solid torsen tube mounts with the Delrin spring plate bushings, as well as spherical bearing bushings for the control arms, all from Racer's Edge (thanks, Karl!). Short term, my goal is suspension and brakes. I did the engine thing on the XR, but when I started driving my father-in-law's PCA Club racer (also a 951), I learned very quickly that suspension is where it is at.

So after I get all of that sorted out, I'll do some engine mods - my experience with the XR was that a MAF conversion is absolutely HUGE. I may try to make my old Ford EEC-IV stuff work, but more likely, I'll do a Megasquirt and have to deal wtih speed density. I'll probably fab up my own 3" exhaust, I've got a lot of mandrel bent stuff laying around. Internally, about the only thing I'd do to the engine is put bigger intake valves on it - I've read that the S' engine already has 1mm larger exhaust valves, and there is PLENTY of room for a larger intake valve. I may do my own intake, I've got some models I can play around with. I had at one point wanted to do a turbocharged 16V 3.0L, but I'm a bit less concerned with that than I had been. Like I said, it is all about suspension, and I was able to get 330 horsepower out of an iron head, small valve, small bore Ford, so getting a bit more out of this one shouldn't be too tough. I used to do engine development for Ford, so I've got a bit more of a leg up on doing stuff myself than most folks. Last thing I did was the earliest stuff on the new 5.0L in the 2011 Mustang.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Darwantae951

Nice plan, I just want to add this:

The OD of the exhaust valve was not larger. The difference was in the valve stem. Now, the "Turbo S" valve is all you can get from Porsche.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM
67King
Race Car

Nice plan, I just want to add this:

The OD of the exhaust valve was not larger. The difference was in the valve stem. Now, the "Turbo S" valve is all you can get from Porsche.
Oh, rreeeallllllyyyyy. Hmmm, interesting. I wonder where I reade that. So that makes the engines identical. I imagine the stem is just sodium filled to help with heat transfer.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by 67King
Oh, rreeeallllllyyyyy. Hmmm, interesting. I wonder where I reade that. So that makes the engines identical. I imagine the stem is just sodium filled to help with heat transfer.

Thanks for the info!
This is from a thread dedicated to specifying the Turbo S differences:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...a-turbo-s.html

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Exhaust valves have a different/larger dimensional spec on the valve stem – changed based on wear/thermal expansion. Not a performance difference, the valve head is the same diameter. I think the Turbo S valve part number is the only one still available from porsche for any Turbo model.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 AM
67King
Race Car

A few of it after a really quick wash. STill haven't touched the interior.
Attached Images    
Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Darwantae951

Doesn't look too bad!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks really nice
Old 01-17-2010, 01:27 PM
drew44
Instructor

Looks like this car's taking up space, why don't you let me take this one off your hands. I'm in the knox area.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 PM
DanR
Drifting

that could make a REALLY nice car! love the seats!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Didn't the Turbo S's all come with sport seats? Your no start issue might be related to the coil wire not being connected. lol

I have an '87 Ocean Blue 951 thats been heavily built using a bunch of Vitesse equipment. Any interest in a swap (and no, it wouldn't be straight up, I'd need some cash as my car is very well sorted, heavily optioned and well built, sorry! lol)? I would kill to get a Glacier 951.

Quick Reply: Any special edition Turbo S's in 88? Barn find.....