Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Constantine's Torque Tube Bearings--VERY nice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Any new news on the torque tube bearings?

JASON
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they are in! These new "Super Bearings" will fit the 924/944/968 torque tubes (TTs).

We have not made any announcements until now since we wanted to make sure these new bearing units were perfect before releasing them to the general public.

We have had to tweak the design a bit more after a tester had a bit of a problem rebuilding his TT with them in another field test. The design is now nailed down as well as the installation procedures. The design tweak has taken away the need for special tools to install them into a TT or the drive shaft back through them after the new bearing units are placed into the TT.

We tried making rebuild tools that would be sent along with the new bearings units but found the shipping costs to be about the same as sending a TT back and forth so it did not make sense to do this.

However to take a TT apart is a bit challenging for home mechanics so be forewarned. We have no special instructions for this step so it will be up to the owner. No one method is any easier than another really. Our rebuild tools do work well and cut the dismantle time considerably but it still takes a bit of effort.

We also rebuilt a TT recently used by a 944T racer who reported back with no problems after a three day race event. Didn't believe there would be any problems but always like to get confirmation from the field.

Pricing is $655.00 plus shipping for four (4) Super Bearings, instructions and a few needed items. You will have to put together a few "special tools" from local hardware store bits, to include galvanized pipe sections.

Or we will take in your TT to rebuild which at this time will be free, owner just pays round trip shipping. Our rebuilds include rust treatment and re-coating the TT. Again limited time offer for those wanting to get in on the first batch.

Limited supply at this time before having to place another order.

Apologies for not contacting everyone on our list of those waiting but will do so over the next few days to advise of this news.

Photo of the 924/944/968 Super bearing can be seen in our avatar.

Cheers,

Last edited by Black Sea RD; 04-30-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added photo!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't say enough about these bearings. The build quality of them is amazing - it's actually kind of sad to have to hide these inside a TT where they can't be seen. After pulling out the factory bearings, I can't imagine trying to rebuild them for reuse. Do it once, do it right and never have to worry about it again.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will these also fit an S2 torque tube? (The S2 TT has the "split" which the other models don't have... dont know if this makes a difference...)
Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

That's excellent news, Constantine! I'm curious what tweaks you made. Mine are still running strong
Couldn't be happier!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to vouch for Constantine. Im the 944T racer he referenced and the new bearings worked flawlessly. I now know I'll never have to worry at the track about my TT. I found it easiest to send my TT to Constantine for the rebuild and I had it back within 10 days. He did a great job and I couldnt be happier. If you need to rebuild or just have the car apart this is a great investment. Really odd to use the words great investment and 944 in the same sentence.

Also Constantine was a very stand up guy. Great to chat with him and get his opinon. He also waited till he had things to his liking before he would entertain me being a tester. I would trust him completely.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Will these also fit an S2 torque tube? (The S2 TT has the "split" which the other models don't have... dont know if this makes a difference...)
The torque tube (TT) is the same save for the splits. The real difference, IIRC, is the coating put on the drive shaft by the factory when used in the split TTs. We haven't played with one of those yet and don't know how much it changes the OD of the drive shaft. That will be the real question.

Anyone here know the answer?

CurtP, Chris C. and Brian B, thank you for the positive comments!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, when I get some spare cash, I'll send you my spare torque tube...
Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Man, when I get some spare cash, I'll send you my spare torque tube...
Why send him the spare? Just order the bearings.

I rebuilt my TT last year before these bearings were available. I could help you do the rebuild if you like.

I also have a spare TT if anyone in Colorado wants to rebuild one.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Hi Cole!

That's a generous offer!

Apologies for not being able to get these nailed down for your rebuild, but didn't want to give out something that wasn't right.

Cheers,
Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Constantine
The torque tube (TT) is the same save for the splits. The real difference, IIRC, is the coating put on the drive shaft by the factory when used in the split TTs. We haven't played with one of those yet and don't know how much it changes the OD of the drive shaft. That will be the real question.

Anyone here know the answer?
All 944s share the same driveshaft.

The halfway slit on the 944 S2 torque tube was purposed to cut additional vibrations caused by the increase of engine size (->3.0).
968 torque tubes also feature a slit.
When new the slit is covered by some aluminium tape.

The Super Bearings I am ordering you will be used in a S2 TT which will be fitted on my turbo, now with a 3.0. Will see if it makes a difference in vibrations.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Hi Thom,

Thank you for the information!

Yes, understood about the vibration dampening being the purpose of the slits in the later TTs. But thought the drive shafts used in these TTs were coated with a protective coating making the drive shaft a bit larger OD. Really shouldn't matter if they are since our new bearing inserts should allow for this possible larger OD.

As far as our Super Bearings and vibrations, in most 928 TTs Porsche used a heavy steel vibration dampener in them to quell vibrations. Customers have found that even with our lightweight aluminum 928 Super Bearings, they do not feel any vibrations, even with that problem prone dampener removed.

When we set out to design a better TT bearing unit we took into consideration the inherent drive line vibrations and designed our new units to dampen them with increased rubber surfaces on the outer and inner portions of this new design. They seem to be working quite well so far.

By the way, got your information and will process your order ASAP!

Thank you,

Originally Posted by Thom
All 944s share the same driveshaft.

The halfway slit on the 944 S2 torque tube was purposed to cut additional vibrations caused by the increase of engine size (->3.0).
968 torque tubes also feature a slit.
When new the slit is covered by some aluminium tape.

The Super Bearings I am ordering you will be used in a S2 TT which will be fitted on my turbo, now with a 3.0. Will see if it makes a difference in vibrations.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have only experience with S2 TT, and now that you mention it then yes the driveshaft has a black coating that makes sliding the bearings off/on the shaft quite difficult - the inner sleeves were VERY tight on the shaft on both S2 TT I worked on, so tight that the threaded rods I used bent more than once.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Constantine
Hi Cole!

That's a generous offer!

Apologies for not being able to get these nailed down for your rebuild, but didn't want to give out something that wasn't right.

Cheers,
No worries. I rebuilt it with 5 bearings in it

I will say that getting the old carriers out without destroying them is difficult. I rounded up 3 TT to get enough good carriers to rebuild my TT. It would have been MUCH easier to just destory them on removal and use the super TT bearings.

So now I have extra TTs and shafts laying at my house with no bearings or carriers if anyone wants them.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Constantine - where are you located? Any idea on shipping cost to send you my torque tube from WA state?

Quick Reply: Constantine's Torque Tube Bearings--VERY nice!