Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

(Pile on) Tips for making your 944 Turbo reliable at the track.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well coner balanceing is cheap speed but not relaibility .
I would say a 60 watt head light in the dash facing the driver with a big $ on it thats blinds the driver when the oil pressure goes below 30 psi of temp goes over 100C
best I've seen so far was a 2 red $ oil pressure light
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
I disagree with this very much. By doing so you are removing a coolant path at the back of the block/head. Coolant will not flow as well and you will end up with #4 cylinder running hotter as a result. On race cars I have a Gates hose that is a perfect fit from the heater pipe over the headers to the water flange on the head.
+1. I'm absolutely sold the reason our track car ran so cool was that we hosed the outlet on the head to a 3 way female tee (extra water temp gauge spot) and piped it BACK to the pipe over the exhaust, back to the water pump. Give the water in the head another outlet. How many people have blown a head gasket at #4 cylinder?

Oil coolers, 1 large or two small - had great success with two factory units in series.

Just plain old good maintenance - you owe it to your own family and your fellow track buddies to bring a well prepared - and as safe as practically possible - car to any event. And, I hope to see some folks at Hallett in May!!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:35 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
Corner balancing is important - not having a 50/50 weight distribution. In fact, as you lighten these cars, they become a little front heavy. 50/50 front to rear weight distribution isn't possible unless you're willing to carry a few hundred lbs of lead around... And no racer wants extra weight.

However, I can't stress the importance of good corner balancing enough. Alignment too. Attention to this can make the car feel completely different (in a good way, if done right.)
My understanding is that a lighter car will out handle a car of full weight around the track regardless of 50/50 weight distribution.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin51
My understanding is that a lighter car will out handle a car of full weight around the track regardless of 50/50 weight distribution.
Absolutely - a lighter car will be able to stop faster, accelerate faster and transfer less weight (reducing suspension travel) through corners. There's a reason the 917 had an aluminum frame and titanium hardware!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:36 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen at least EIGHT cars have ball joints break at the track when lowered and using stock a-arms/ball joints.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hp18racer
I've seen at least EIGHT cars have ball joints break at the track when lowered and using stock a-arms/ball joints.
Yes but I have also see Fabcar pins break and Charlie Arm bolts snap as well. It is all relative.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lower your car with stock a-arms & ball joints and the joint runs out of travel greatly increasing the failure rate.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

My car is lowered enough you cannot put a jack under the side of it. My white car spent over 350 days on the track without a failure. I replace the stock M030 arms with std turbo arms when the bj's finally got some play.

I have never seen a properly installed new arm fail due to ride height.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
joonas
Racer

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
well coner balanceing is cheap speed but not relaibility .
I would say a 60 watt head light in the dash facing the driver with a big $ on it thats blinds the driver when the oil pressure goes below 30 psi of temp goes over 100C
best I've seen so far was a 2 red $ oil pressure light
What kind of oil temps are fine for track use? I know that the ideal oil temp is between 90 and 100 degrees C but can it be really achieved on track and what it takes? Maybe someone can share his race car oil cooling setup formula.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

about the kiss cooler, can you mount it where the big alternator shroud and brake duct go?

i already removed the alt shroud and i want to remove the driver plastic brake duct, is it good?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned track time. If your on the track for hours at at time without stopping I can see the car start to misbehave or develop a problem fast. When i watch some of those youtube track clips i sometimes cringe .. because the car sounds like it's being punished in every corner and for how long?? I've been wanted to go to some lapping events in my area but each time I think about it i just know I'm only going to want to abuse the car for maybe 5 or 6 laps and be done for the day. Most track events are at least 4 hrs long..
Old 09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Park your car in the pit and ride in friends cars all day.
+1 or take your BMW instead (if you have one)
Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned track time. If your on the track for hours at at time without stopping I can see the car start to misbehave or develop a problem fast. When i watch some of those youtube track clips i sometimes cringe .. because the car sounds like it's being punished in every corner and for how long?? I've been wanted to go to some lapping events in my area but each time I think about it i just know I'm only going to want to abuse the car for maybe 5 or 6 laps and be done for the day. Most track events are at least 4 hrs long..
All the track days i have done are 4x 20 minute sessions and on occasion 5 if there is enough time at the end of the day. I do not push my car hard at all i think, sure i am on and off boost often.. but i short shift at 5-5.5k rpm all the time. I dont see the need to really run up to redline as its not racing! Your not against a clock.. your just there to enjoy yourself. Im not saying you need to be a moving road block in your run group, but i hardly think you need to run the car up to redline all the time to avoid that. What i do cringe at is when i am hard on the brakes into a corner and when i feel the G's while in the turn, yea your wearing the hell outta your pads and tires. Just because your out on the track does not mean you have to kill your car. This is especially true when your in the novice run groups, go as slow as you need to (within reason of course). When and if you ever get into the higher run groups, then sure you i will need to run the car harder to keep up with traffic.. but you dont HAVE to goto a higher run group if you dont want to.

I think auto-x is harder on a car than DE.. that is very quick full on and full off, not to mention even harder on suspension i think with the bumpy lots they are held in.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by sebastian944

At first I thought you were kidding.........

I run the **** out of mine and in 10+ years I have had 1 burned valve (which I knew was coming but did nothing about) and I totaled 1 car.

For me it's not worth owning if I cannot run it hard. I am not a wax and baby diaper person. Cars serve a purpose, they are a tool for me to have a good time and nothing more. Going to the track is something that cannot be substituted by anything else similar.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
+1 or take your BMW instead (if you have one)
I once took my new Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line to the track. Had it returned to Audi due to "brake noise". Mechanic told me the front brake pads were broken into 2 pieces, something he had never seen before. I played along, put on my surprised look and handed over the company MasterCard

Quick Reply: (Pile on) Tips for making your 944 Turbo reliable at the track.