Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Eliminating fuel purge system (w/ Pic's)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Eliminating fuel purge system (w/ Pic's)

I am on a quest to try to reduce the amt of obnoxiouis oders from gas and exhaust. I am planning the fuel smells first, so please let me know if I am missing anything. I plan to pull the canister later when I repair my fender and paint. I will cut the braided line to the canister and remove the diapham and the other piece connected to it, and all associated vaccume lines. I will plug nipples under the TB and J-boot.

I will put an open element breather at the tank I assume it is the rubber line that comes from above the rear right shock that attaches to the metal line.

When under the car by the fuel tank w/ everything still hooked up I can smell gas. When I pull the carpet in the rear hatch and pull the plug over the fuel pump or level sending , not sure, I really can smell gas. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by DrZ1; 09-03-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

I pulled the sheild over the filler neck, the smell is strong here as well. There is some discoloration near the tank that might have come from a leak. my level sender does not work well, so I plan to change it and I will put on a new seal at that time. Can I delete any of these hoses and filters around the filler neck as I plan to get rid of all the fuel purge stuff at the fron to the car??
Attached Images    
Old 09-04-2009, 05:30 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

I smoked the gas tank and it appears that the seal on the sending unit is bad. Or it is the top of the tank that has a defect. I will try the seal first.

Any one know if there would be a problem deleting all this braided hosing runing to this white tank in the c-pillar?? I plan to remove the top braided hose and replace with a rubber fuel line and run out the bottom ove the car w/ an open element filter, or is there something better that does not allow too much vapor to be realeased. Not sure if too free, I would be loosing gas to evaporation??? I will delete the white tank and short braided hose.

Thanks
Steve
Attached Images   

Last edited by DrZ1; 09-04-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

whats that tank for?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:08 AM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
whats that tank for?
it's an expansion tank for fuel vapor
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 AM
-OTT51-
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be closely watching this thread. I would love to eliminate some of the various odors of operation.

I just pulled and reinstalled my LR 3" exhaust sealing each piece with either anti-seize or the permatex muffler and tailpipe sealant. The fitment to the wastegate pipe is really poor and given the amount of paste I had to use, I am unsure if it will be a long term solution.

Sorry I don't have some answers to your questions about the fuel vapor expansion hoses. On the other hand, if you have a LR 3" exhaust I will share what I know. That includes how to get your neighbors talking about why you have a leaf blower hooked to your tailpipe.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:10 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Well,

I do think it helped. I will know tommarow as I will be in the car more. When I finished, I was ready for a shower and dinner. I removed the white tank and the cloth covered hoses. I ran a hose from the filler neck to the check valve, then under the car to a small wix open element filter. I may loose gas to atmosphere from more evaporation, but as long as I dont smell it in the car, that is fine. I sealed up the metal top to the filler neck w/ butyl tape, to try and get a better seal. Some one had been in there and had alot of silicone gasket material in there. I am hopeing that it will also help some with the exaust fumes.

I have been plaqued w/ gas and exhaust fumes for 4 years.,I cant take it any more. I am not sure how much permant damage it does but I am sure it not good. I have put 50k on the car in this time.

I will update tommarrow.

Steve
Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Dumping the fuel purge system, seemed to help reduce the smell, but when I accessed the top of the sending unit I still had a good smell of fuel. I pulled the sending unit and the seals were shot. I swapped some seals from another unit, and the problem is solved. Except neither my sender or the other one worked properly. So I still need to find a good sender. Mine is accurate from 1/2 tank down.

So anyone w/ fuel smell from the sending unit, definately check the seals.

Steve
Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you fixed it. Here are some items to stop exhaust fumes.

1)Replace rear hatch seal
2)Reseal taillights with new butyl tape
3)new key-hole gasket
4)Rubber plugs for various holes in the spare tire area & grommets for the drain tubes in the cubbies. Any openings must be sealed.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:27 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Thought I did but smelled it again, I will move the open element uner the car further back. I had it tucked up under the car.

Thanks for the exhaust tips. That is next.

Steve

Quick Reply: Eliminating fuel purge system (w/ Pic's)