Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electric Porsche 944 at the Racetrack

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

so what did that electric 944 run at the strip? because I cant see the video (anymore?)
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
seattle951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try these links:

Porsche 914 and 944

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bus...ef=videosearch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWPiUd9nMWA

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/electric-...-breaks-cover/

http://web.mit.edu/evt/porsche914.html
Old 09-04-2009, 02:57 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Not really a Porsche, but an electric car. Or a wok-pan/ricer etc...

e-corolla
Old 09-04-2009, 06:42 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you guys seen the new "Model S" from Tesla? 7 seater, 300 mile range, with a 45 minute quick charge. And it's a good looking car. Best part is it's slated to cost about $50,000. I'm already making my own biodiesel for my big Ford F350 Crew Cab. The money I save pays for the payment on it and I'm hooking up a few guys for $2.00 a gallon. Awesome stuff in the future. Now looking into making my own ethanol so I can use that instead of methanol to make the bio. I can then use it in my cars too.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:34 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle951
My interest is getting peaked. I was not overly impressed with the e-volks kit, but I am sure there are others.

There is a fairly clean 1988 924S nearby with a broken timing belt for sale. On a $12k conversion budget, I wonder what a 924S could be converted into. On 90% of my workdays I only drive 60 miles. A fast, silent, green 924S would be really cool.

Anybody know of any other vendors?
I think you meant your interest was getting "piqued" =]
I've often thought about doing a conversion of some sort, but more in a mk1 rabbit chassis, just because it is already very light and it has been done many times before. Plus for some reason I really like those little cars. Still, a 944 might be a good candidate also. I feel like you could place some of the battery packs in the rear hatch also to balance the weight if need be. I don't know off the top of my head why you wouldn't be able to do this, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, has anyone wondered why hybrids don't also use diesel engines instead of being gasoline powered? It's always seemed like there is some invisible force against diesel here in the states. Like a 500 lb gorilla (how many slugs is that...?) in the middle of the room, diesel has been there during all the gas crises we've had yet there was never a huge movement towards diesel, even though nearly every eighteen wheeler uses it and the infrastructure is already there. Now with the clean diesels it just makes even more sense. Oh well, since we're moving to "clean" energy, diesel will be skipped over I'm sure.

I really don't feel that batteries are the answer though. Anyone living in certain parts of California already knows just how bad the power grid is. Rolling blackouts during hot summer months, further complicated by let's say even 10% of people in LA plugged in charging their cars, doesn't sound like a good thing to me. While we might be striving for 20% energy created through "clean" technologies (are all the parts for this "clean" technology created and transported without using fossil fuels? I highly doubt it...) that still leaves over 80% of unclean energy being used to recharge these hybrids. What of the batteries when they're spent? For one thing those batteries are very expensive and nobody knows with any certainty just how long the consumer versions last. Are there recycling programs for these batteries? How much do you get charged to dispose of them properly? If the charge is too much you will find them on the side of the road and in land fills. Human's being cheap knows no bounds after all.
I guess I could go on, but really I doubt anyone will even read that much as I just looked at this block of text and wondered where it came from
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

the dude with the tesla is such a ***

this is interesting, but man o man do these things add weight or what? looks like on average car gains about 500lbs ... and those kits aren't cheap - you can do a good V8 conversion and go faster

it will take years for the conversion to pay for itself regardless and the MPG is impressive though

but like that Grassroots website has a 924 converted to electric for sale for something like $18k, and the thing weights like 3500lbs (according to the ad) = wow

Quick Reply: Electric Porsche 944 at the Racetrack