Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Carbon Fiber shift rod (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:23 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber shift rod (updated)

Sept 12th, 09 -
Now confident in NEW carbon material used. Much higher frequency and rated for actual torsional loads. the other "pultruded" style rod didn't seem, and clearly isn't up to torsional tasks. Also, doing away with safety pin, as I was told drilling hole will actually make it weaker and to trust the epoxy.. I do now that it's done.

Here's what the new stuff looks like. If you must have one, and you want to be a baller, just pm me... lol No one will ever see it though! Shame.

Heres the updated pics. MUCH better.. very confident.. way overbuilt at this point. I still wish people could actually see it when it's installed. But.. it does save me a couple pounds. and I got some great experience with this stuff.

Just to give you a peek at what going on in my head and what I've been working on for some time now.. Really, been waiting on.. just got some the last of cnc parts in. It is to be epoxied and smaller safety roll pins to go in. Saves a whopping 2 lbs. Cost about $200 in parts. It is really just an exercise in working with carbon and aluminum together. I have much larger parts Im going to be doing this with. intake manifold and Torque tube.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-12-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:34 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, for one, love seeing development of new and custom parts going strong... looks great, keep em coming..
Old 08-29-2009, 08:41 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Cool idea. I re-did the stock one welding a larger tube to the end and utilizing a needle roller bearing, The result is NO play and an extremely short throw, much like my Tremec TKO2 in the stang. I also re designed the short shift block on the trans, the damned thing thing kept loosening up so I went a buddies mach shop and wire machined a new one that actually has a D shape hole in it that fits the shift shaft as opposed to an open hole with a bolt. It works alot better. I need to hold a up a rule and measure the actual shift throw but it's extremely short.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by badcoupe
Cool idea. I re-did the stock one welding a larger tube to the end and utilizing a needle roller bearing, The result is NO play and an extremely short throw, much like my Tremec TKO2 in the stang. I also re designed the short shift block on the trans, the damned thing thing kept loosening up so I went a buddies mach shop and wire machined a new one that actually has a D shape hole in it that fits the shift shaft as opposed to an open hole with a bolt. It works alot better. I need to hold a up a rule and measure the actual shift throw but it's extremely short.
Yeah definatley. the D shape would have been a better design. mine kept slipping and not shifting.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I, for one, love seeing development of new and custom parts going strong... looks great, keep em coming..
This is the basic slow start to some crazy *** pieces coming up.. um relatively.. in a year?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats that behind it? some thing for a 5 cylinder apparently (maybe a V10?)
Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian Carr
whats that behind it? some thing for a 5 cylinder apparently (maybe a V10?)
Was going to ask the same thing...
Old 08-29-2009, 10:59 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Keep up the good and interesting work. As far as I'm concerned I love that there are still guys out there doing new stuff for our cars. In this respect we're very lucky. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Volvo Turbo R. Getting put together now.
And thank you!.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:58 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice, is that a super special epoxy. Worthwhile weight saving I think if you can do it in a few areas.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work....

It's not the cost that counts... it's the finished product... remember?

So can I get one for $50? :-)

TonyG
Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

That does look nice. Can't wait to see what you come up with for a intake.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

so do you buy the tube then make the other bit's ?
I'm thinking about grafting FG and carbon to the cut down 944 S 2.5 manifold thinking of making a little hot water and vacume rig to make it clever
Old 08-31-2009, 03:09 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by thingo
Nice, is that a super special epoxy. Worthwhile weight saving I think if you can do it in a few areas.
its an epoxy that is sold on the carbon tube sellers site.. they say that type bonds best with their rods. its a commercial grade that is not their own.

Originally Posted by TonyG
Nice work....

It's not the cost that counts... it's the finished product... remember?

So can I get one for $50? :-)

TonyG
Im a little frustrated at the price of the parts alone.. then there's the time it takes to assemble. I wouldn't sell these unless i tested it out thoroughly. Im concerned about the torsional rigidity with this style carbon tube. ((EDIT: Found the correct tube and purchased Torsionally strengthened tubes. No longer worried. )) - The epoxy is suppose to cure this, but I would like to prove that for myself.

Originally Posted by jlturpin
That does look nice. Can't wait to see what you come up with for a intake.
It's going to be my masterpiece. Should make the current available examples & my last one look like monkey tools. I Finally got to discuss details with my CNC guy. Project may get started sooner than I think, but it's kinda hit or miss with him, depending on the oil company needs. I get put on the back burner when they show up. it's been 4-5 months to just get the simple pieces done that I had him make.

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
so do you buy the tube then make the other bit's ?
I'm thinking about grafting FG and carbon to the cut down 944 S 2.5 manifold thinking of making a little hot water and vacume rig to make it clever
Correct. Depending on what epoxy, you will have minimum and maximum clearances for curing, along with different temps and times. But I might be thinking of overkill there as some epoxies are extremely strong. Just be sure they don't break down at certain temps. (250 at head flange). Sounds like you might be past that info at this point though. But yeah, I just bought the carbon tube, and had the aluminum parts cnc'd

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-01-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

I kno you smoke that isht and come up with all these crazy idea's ...
You crazy camel.

On serious note, We''ve been talking about this for a while so its nice to see some good progress.
PS did you already get your turbo for the project?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber shift rod (updated)