Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sound like an alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 03:08 PM
fourside
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I actually noticed that sound once before I brought the car to you. But as far as I know the vacuum port hadn't popped out. I'll fiddle around some more and make sure that's secure in there but I'm not finding anything via search as to what that sound could be.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

its a leaking vacuum port....the AFM tells the dme theres a certain amount (X) of air in the system and gives Y fuel accordingly. the vacuum port is probably wiggling open and closed due to vibration, screwing up that mixture which makes it run like hell
Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
fourside
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so a little update.

I replaced the door switch and sealed up the metal plug that Spencer first noticed had come loose. I also noticed that the middle metal plug had come loose as well so I sealed the both of them up.

Then I took out the battery and brought it down to AutoZone to have them test it. The kid who tested it seemed to think it was OK so I went home and charged it before putting it back into the car. Then I took about a 15 minute ride at 10PM, but I still noticed that "pshh" sound every once in a while even with both of those plugs sealed up.

This morning I went out at like 9:30 and started it up, and it took a few seconds to start. Then I went for another short ride and parked it at 10:00 and went out at 10:05 because I was curious if it'd start again. Nothing.

So what I'm thinking is that really sounds like an alternator problem. It sat all night after being driven for 15 minutes and could still start in the morning (albeit with a slight delay) and after being driven once more for about 20-25 minutes it was unable to start 5 minutes after being parked. So that would sound to me like the alternator's not working so driving the car is simply running down the battery.

Quick Reply: Sound like an alternator problem?