Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost enhancer install instructions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost enhancer install instructions

I recently purchased a 86 951 and it has a lindsey racing boost enhancer in it. It looks like it may be installed in the wrong place and judging from some other bonehead installs on this car I would like to double check. If someone has the installation instructions could they please email them to me at aaronjolson77@yahoo.com

Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

ALso the guy I bought it from said it had a boost controller in it. I cant find one on it. I wonder if he meant the enhancer. If any one has any ideas where I should start looking for a controller it would be great.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/951BOOST1.html
Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

Im wondering where to look for the controller in the car if it supposedly has one.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

If it has a boost enhancer it doesn't have a separate boost controller.
If it does - someone screwed up.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 AM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

THat makes sense to me. The more I dig into this car the more I realize what an idiot the former owner was. I suppose I had better check to make sure the chips are stock too.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

Be very careful running boost controllers / enhancers with stock chips. Head gasket territory.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:07 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Why do you say that hally. I thought the stock chips supply the most overboost protection vs modified chips. Are not most introductory aftermarket chips just chips with Porsche specs and the protection removed?
If you have the boost enhancer set for 10 psi you should be fine. I have been wondering though, if there is any posibility of boost spikes if the programing in the chips does not react quick enough given the nature of the capability of the boost enhancer to open abruptly.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Stock chips will provide overboost protection but it is unlikely that a car is running a LBE and stock chips...
Aftermarket chips completely remove overboost protection so setting it too high and one good run could kill a head gasket. Aftermarket chips are tuned to a specific boost, so if you order chips to run 15 psi, you are pretty much set to run 15 psi, more boost = lean, less = rich.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I am running a LRBE and have stock chips. I find it works quite well, brings the boost in at around 2700 to 3000 rpm vs 3500 rpm. I have it set at the stock 10 psi setting and have not had any problems. I have been hesitant to go to aftermarket chips with the LRBE because of the protection inherent in the stock chips. Probably should go with an in-car manual boost controller if I chip it.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

What percentage of people have the self control to stop at 10psi though with a boost controller!
Understand that you want to maintain the stock ability to cut boost via the stock boost control mechanism.
You can do this with aftermarket chips, eg you get a KLR modified for a 15psi limit and a DME mapped for 15psi, that way you can keep the stock boost control setup.
Havn't done this myself (modified the KLR) just went to a MBC, but am pretty sure Scivision and also Vitesse would offer this.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hally
Be very careful running boost controllers / enhancers with stock chips. Head gasket territory.
yeah, ask me how I know that (and I didn't have stock chips even...)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

What percentage of people have the self control to stop at 10psi though with a boost controller!
10% is actually going to be right for most applications - you'll see spikes in the 13 to 15PSI range with it set there so leaving it stock is usually not a bad thing.

I crept mine up (using 944MAX chips) a little and didn't have an aftermarket gauge and thought I was boosting around 13PSI...didn't realize until I needed to replace the HG that it was spiking at almost 20PSI.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:35 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OntarioTurbo
I am running a LRBE and have stock chips. I find it works quite well, brings the boost in at around 2700 to 3000 rpm vs 3500 rpm. I have it set at the stock 10 psi setting and have not had any problems. I have been hesitant to go to aftermarket chips with the LRBE because of the protection inherent in the stock chips. Probably should go with an in-car manual boost controller if I chip it.
If you were going to go that route you should just upgrade the stock WG to a Tial and use a black **** MBC - then you wouldn't need the LBE and could do your adjustments in the car (and you'd like the performance much, much better anyway...)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 AM
vanosman
Instructor

Default wide fire HG

first thing i did when rebuilt the K26
have a cheater k26 8 now getting rid of the Lindsey and other similar under hood check valve JUNK that spikes to hard and flutters my Tial WG in 3rd hard boost. I think a **** is going to feel better.

Years ago i didn't like setup of Apexi top EBC and wiring the selenoid and switches, etc. Sold it, glad i did because it looks like another headache to fiddle with when i rather move on to another upgrade.

Back when F&F movie came out, when everyone wanted to mod their car into a Skyline TT

Quick Reply: Boost enhancer install instructions