Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Build your own Maf kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:40 AM
barkerd427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rogue and/or John - read your build-up thread and I am definitely interested in following you down this road. I have at least the whole winter to toy with this and I am not too worried about the engine exploding or something. It's just a toy. I have a few questions though that I either didn't find the answer to in your other thread or I just need more info.

1) You said that you got a MAF from LR and I wanted to know what you would suggest getting for the MAF/MAP function now that it is two years later?
2) What is the difference in hardware for a MAF system compared to a MAP system? It looks like the LR kit comes with everything I would need.
3) Do you have to get any additional chips or are the stock chips ok to use? This includes adding injectors, turbo, MAF, exhaust... Also, does the company that you got your chips from still exist? I couldn't find them, but I did notice that Hally is still on this board and active.

I think once I get the right parts for the build then the programming won't be too difficult. And I mean that relatively speaking. Thanks Rogue and John and sorry for all the questions.

Disclaimer - I will not sue anyone for any advice that they provide or do not provide in any form of communication (to include smoke signals and cans-and-a-string) in reference to anything!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry - didn't see this post.
Give me a bit and I'll give you some answers

-Rogue
Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
I suppose there has been some kind of issues with these harness' lately. I delivered friends harness last July to Switzerland to D9 (visited Beni when we were on holiday trip) from where harness was sent to Tom in Germany. Friends harness received this week...
Russ shipped mine today, should be MAF capable again this weekend...WOOT... old harness too far gone to fix so I paid for a new replacement...
Old 09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by barkerd427
Rogue and/or John - read your build-up thread and I am definitely interested in following you down this road. I have at least the whole winter to toy with this and I am not too worried about the engine exploding or something. It's just a toy. I have a few questions though that I either didn't find the answer to in your other thread or I just need more info.

1) You said that you got a MAF from LR and I wanted to know what you would suggest getting for the MAF/MAP function now that it is two years later?
2) What is the difference in hardware for a MAF system compared to a MAP system? It looks like the LR kit comes with everything I would need.
3) Do you have to get any additional chips or are the stock chips ok to use? This includes adding injectors, turbo, MAF, exhaust... Also, does the company that you got your chips from still exist? I couldn't find them, but I did notice that Hally is still on this board and active.

I think once I get the right parts for the build then the programming won't be too difficult. And I mean that relatively speaking. Thanks Rogue and John and sorry for all the questions.

Disclaimer - I will not sue anyone for any advice that they provide or do not provide in any form of communication (to include smoke signals and cans-and-a-string) in reference to anything!!!
Ok, a couple quick answers:
1. I like my piggy-back system, but it does require a decent amount of knowledge and experience. If you are looking for something now, and plug-n-play - I suggest contacting one of the Venders to get a complete solution.
2. MAP is a simple pressure sensor, but needs a conversion box to make it work with the DME. MAF will be a simpler solution.
3. The chips need to be matched to your setup. Injectors, AFM / MAF, Turbo, ect. I started with a set of chips from Hally. Since then have learned the DME and been programming my own chips for some time (I need to update my build thread).

If your looking for a DIY solution, take a look at my thread here:

Click Me

-Rogue
Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by barkerd427

Last first...
I got MaxTune from www.MaxHpKit.com and yes he is still up and running, but apparently isn't selling the MAF I have anymore... I know there have been issues with replacement parts (MAF Sensors mostly)... D9 is still selling them (Scivision MAF)

2nd and 1st questions... together as they are related...
Lindsey Racing has several different MAF setups for sale... as does Vitesse and a few other vendors (D9 still has the MAF I have been using on my car)...
Now MAF vs MAP... two totaly different systems... one uses mass of the air to calculate the engine load for fuel metering and timing control (MAF) the other is referred to as speed density, and doesn't use a sensor before the turbo, but rather uses manifold absolute pressure to control fuel and timing..

STOCK uses an air flow meter, and an intake air temperature sensor to calculate the amount of air flowing into the engine.. MAF conversion requires the DME to be re-programed AND the signal from the MAF to go through a conversion so the DME will be able to use it... this is ultimately a band aid to allow use of a more modern sensor (also more responsive and accurate, but also different as AFM calculates volume and MAF measures MASS)

the mods you propose doing (turbo, injectors, maf and exhaust) would require an aftermarket tune of the DME code, or an off the shelf tuned set of chips (most vendors are offering MaxHpKit chips on their sites...LR has em, Paragon does too...) Vitesse uses a different approach as they have an add on board that replaces the DME chip, and uses their software to control / tune the maps... MaxTune will allow you to modify the stock DME code to suit any modifications you make, TunerPro allows you to modify and write the code, but not pull it back down apparently (MaxTune will pull the code back)

Ultimately it is all about the road you chose to take to get to you destination... IF you are doing a turbo upgrade, exhaust, injectors... I would suggest you decide on an end goal, and make a plan to reach it... pick a MAF (or MAP) conversion based on lots of research and questions asked... they can be cost prohibitive for those not able or willing to spend >$1000 at the blink of an eye... IF you are going for an off the shelf, plug in and go, the suppliers (Lindsey, Vitesse, Speed Force Racing) all have different options, that ultimately you should pick based on what your end goal is...

MAP conversion is tougher to do right, and more difficult to tune well and right... for now I would stick to a MAF... but that is just my 2C... I could be wrong...
Old 09-29-2009, 12:35 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Ok, a couple quick answers:
1. I like my piggy-back system, but it does require a decent amount of knowledge and experience. If you are looking for something now, and plug-n-play - I suggest contacting one of the Venders to get a complete solution.
2. MAP is a simple pressure sensor, but needs a conversion box to make it work with the DME. MAF will be a simpler solution.
3. The chips need to be matched to your setup. Injectors, AFM / MAF, Turbo, ect. I started with a set of chips from Hally. Since then have learned the DME and been programming my own chips for some time (I need to update my build thread).

If your looking for a DIY solution, take a look at my thread here:

Click Me

-Rogue
Are we playing leap frog again?...

What he said....
Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner