Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What are your opinions on delrin sway bar bushings with MO30 sways?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What are your opinions on delrin sway bar bushings with MO30 sways?

okay so I just got some MO30 sway bars and was thinking about ditching the rubber bushings and getting these:

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...mc-4100set.htm
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...re_mc-4000.htm

Also going to get these too:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Sway...roplinkkit.htm
http://www.paragon-products.com/KLA_..._swaybrace.htm

just wondering your opinions on all of this and if they are worth it...I did a search on here and nothing really came up

thanks I appreciate your input and comments
chris
Old 09-27-2009, 09:12 PM
eshane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same question as always........what are you going to do with the car???? The parts you mention will make the car drive like a truck on the street. Will go great on the track. No track, stay with rubber but get harder M030 compound. Track, go with the delrin. The harder rubber and larger sways will definitely reduce the roll. If you drive alot on the city streets of CT, something else may shake loose with the delrin. Your choice...........
Old 09-27-2009, 11:00 PM
brrgrr
Racer

I've got MO30 with delrin bushings up front and the racers edge mounting blocks for the rear bar. It will make the car ride more firmly, but it is not unbearable. Having said that, +1 on what eshane said.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

On a track car, the delrin bushings SEEM to make it more likely you will break the drop brackets. If you use them, I recommend getting the reinforcements that tie them to the crossmember.

West
Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said, I run the delrin with M030 on the Cup car and love it.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Keep in mind, that the control arms and the sway bar do not rotate/pivot in the same plane when the suspension is compressed. Because of this, there needs to be some flexibility of movement with the swaybar mounting points, otherwise something metal will need to flex - which is not what you want, and can lead to fatigue failures of the brackets, drop links, frame rails, or cast control arms.

So I dont think I would recommend using all solid bushings and the bracket supports. I would personally leave the upper and lower drop link bushings on the control arms rubber, and probably the bushing on the end of the swaybar/drop link too.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have snapped a KLA sway bar brace while running M030 with delrin bushings during a track day -- there's just a lot of tension with this set-up.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect that's why Racer's Edge recommends rubber on one side per side (top or bottom on left and right) of the sway bar to a-arm mount.

West
Old 09-29-2009, 12:55 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Switched to the delrin bushing on a 25.5 hollow front bar and tore the sway bar bracket out of the frame rail. I did not have the KLA braces. Welded in a saddle on the frame to repair it and added the KLA braces and 350lb springs - we'll see what happens....car currently is street duty only with occasional autocross.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

+1 on the mix and match installation. Used Delrin on a front M030 30 mm bar for the drop link mountings and OE rubber on the control arm mountings. Improved roll resistance with little or no change in ride quality. Added advantage of this installation is protection against drop link bushing degradation from eternally weeping PS connections.

Rear billet block delrin mounts and spherical bearing drop links similarly satisfactory with a 19 mm three hole bar.

Quick Reply: What are your opinions on delrin sway bar bushings with MO30 sways?