Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vacuum Clean Up on an '86 951

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009 | 01:29 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Default Vacuum Clean Up on an '86 951

I am trying to clean up my engine bay on my '86 951, and it seems the easiest way to do this is remove unnecessary vacuum lines. Can someone post some pics and tell me which lines are ok to remove, which ones to seal off, etc.? The guys at Fifth Gear Tuning in Lewisville, TX told me which ones were ok to remove, but I forgot which ones they are...

Any help will be great.
Adam

Edit: Here is a pic of what I'm after...I know this car has a tilton brake system, but how would you eliminate all of the vacuum that is normally there?
Attachment 377987

Last edited by Adam Poland; 03-04-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2009 | 03:30 AM
eniac
Drifting

The best way is to learn what each vacuum line goes to and does then decide what things you want to have working and what you don't need.

For starters you can get rid of the metal tubing under the intake and go with a MBC/EBC and a catch can for the AOS. That will clean things up quite a bit. Next to go would be the entire fuel vapor purge system. After that, the rest depends on your set up and what components you still need.
Old 08-13-2009 | 03:58 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Really like your stripped engine bay.
there are some good vacuum line diagrams around. Thought I had a few on my comp but can't find them.
Old 08-13-2009 | 10:13 AM
jc in rb
Racer

lindsey racing has several flavors of vac line diagrams on their website.
Old 08-13-2009 | 10:22 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by Ballistic-Chapman
Really like your stripped engine bay.
there are some good vacuum line diagrams around. Thought I had a few on my comp but can't find them.
That's not his engine bay
Old 08-13-2009 | 12:09 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Without removing all the other stuff (brakes, vapor system, etc...) the only real lines you'll be able to remove are the ones under the intake. You can clean a lot up under there - particularly so if you've gone with a dual port wastegate like a Tial and don't need to use the cycling valve. When I had my intake off last, I pulled the CV and connecting metal pipes off and bought the CV delete hose kit which really cleans up a mess under there. I thought about doing the catch can while I was in there but didn't get around to getting anything ordered in time.

Other than those, unless you start yanking other stuff out of your engine bay (like that pic), I don't think there are really any other places where you can remove any other lines.
Old 08-13-2009 | 12:28 PM
Darwantae951

There have been a few threads here on the vapor purge system removal. Many end up putting a small filter on the vent at the tank. If emissions weren't stricter where I live then I would do the same just to get that mess outta there...
Old 08-13-2009 | 05:55 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Thanks for your info guys. But I want to clarify one thing before I start the clean up. Since I have an MBC, it is ok to completely remove the cycling valve. Correct?
Old 08-13-2009 | 07:23 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by Adam Poland
Thanks for your info guys. But I want to clarify one thing before I start the clean up. Since I have an MBC, it is ok to completely remove the cycling valve. Correct?
Yes, I have an MBC and my CV is in a dump somewhere in southern california (it broke upon removal...).
Old 08-13-2009 | 09:15 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Say when do you want to start work on my engine bay. Yours looks pretty stripped of the non essentials.
Old 08-13-2009 | 10:47 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eniac
The best way is to learn what each vacuum line goes to and does then decide what things you want to have working and what you don't need.

For starters you can get rid of the metal tubing under the intake and go with a MBC/EBC and a catch can for the AOS. That will clean things up quite a bit. Next to go would be the entire fuel vapor purge system. After that, the rest depends on your set up and what components you still need.
Is there a write up some where to do this? I know people have done it before..
Old 08-13-2009 | 11:15 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

yup - pull the CV and those metal pipes out and then remove the plastic "Y" venturi piece and buy the venturi delete hose kit to clean up that mess under there. Something like this:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Idle...uri-delete.htm

I had to get a different hose for the one that goes from the ICV to the intercooler pipe since I have a MAF and hard pipes but the other two come in handy. You can also just go get the right lengths radiator hose from your local shop and do it that way - probably cheaper anyway. Just make sure that you get ones with the pre-made 90 degree bends...I had some of the silicon tubing on after my first attempt that wasn't pre-bent and with vacuum they'd close up at even the slightest bend.

But yes, with MBC the CV is just taking up space and having the end of those metal hoses sticking out the front of the intake gone makes it easier to get to a few things (the bolt that holds the intake on right there and the back screw on the TPS in particular).
Old 08-14-2009 | 01:12 AM
Adam Poland
Racer

I removed the CV and that cleaned up quite a bit. Tomorrow I'm going to start removing the fuel vapor purge system. A good friend of my family came over tonight and told me what to do. (He campaigned a 951 race car a few years back). But you guys are very helpful on here. Thanks Now, to get the tilton three-pedal brake system so I can remove the brake resevoir.
Old 08-14-2009 | 10:23 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
That's not his engine bay
Originally Posted by rlm328
Say when do you want to start work on my engine bay. Yours looks pretty stripped of the non essentials.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Clean Up on an '86 951