Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally got to do a deep clean on the car...

Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
it is easier than it looks to fit new carpet into the 944 floorpan. like i said i just used a big stonkin roll of generic auto pile in beige but it wasnt hard to work with.

the hardest part of the job is getting the old stuff out; youll want to get rid of the old insulation as it is rotted nasty and smelly. also, good luck getting the carpet that goes over the hump under the dash, it was downright impossible for me so i just cut it off and left some original stuff back there lol
If I do the carpet, it'll be this winter at the same time as I pull the dash. The existing original dash is full of cracks, and after I got quotes of close to $1k to have it professionally recovered, I tracked down a used, crack-free dash on Craigslist for $200. I'll do the swap once I park the car for the winter.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not do the black carpet , I have a very clean 89 Turbo S It's Gold with a an all Black interior and it's like looking into a Black hole on the inside. If you feel you have to change something maybe match the lower half of the dash to the carpet color. Just a thought.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:23 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think it's factory. Looks like at one point the carpet was replaced. If the dash and door panels are original, then the carpet should be black. If you replace your carpet, the only thing that looks to be done to your doors is replace the map pockets with black ones. If your carpet is in good shape, you can dye them. jlturpin has carpet dye available.

Factory carpet fits the best, but if you were going to go with new carpet, some of it is NLA and the pieces that are available are painfully expensive. I've yet to see an aftermarket carpet fit correctly. My original carpet was falling apart (the fibers were falling out of the backing). I went with a World Upholstery Feintuft carpet set as the replacement. The front carpets pieces fit well. The rear floor pieces were OK, but the pieces that go on the rear sides (over the wheel wells) didn't fit for crap. Feintuft is a wool carpet, and it's really nice (and surprisingly light). Unfortunately, it can't be heat-set. I ended up replacing the rear side pieces with used OEM pieces that are in really good shape. If I could find the OEM rear seat floor carpet in black that was in perfect shape, I'd replace it too. The hatch floor carpet from WU fit pretty well, but there's no backing or insulation on it. I had to try to strip the carpet off my original insulation which was a disaster. I'd like to replace that with OEM as well.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

wonderful
Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. Makes me want to do the same to my original black paint 951.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:20 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

Interior was scrubbed using Woolite Pet Stain carpet cleaner (I tried a bunch, this stuff seemed to work the best.) Then after that, hit it twice with Tom's steam cleaner. Carpet still isn't perfect, but it's a LOT cleaner than it was, and is soft to the touch.
Looks great.

Can you provide some details on the steam cleaner?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally got to do a deep clean on the car...