Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A/C service

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
porsche_addict
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C service

The A/C is my '86 951 is not blowing any cold air. According to the decal in the engine compartment, the system was charged with R12 back in '96. So, the system has likely been out of service for some time, possibly up to 10 years, but maybe less. I see some people are using the alternative refrigerants such as Duracool and Red Tek. How would I go about getting the system functional again?. I can spend several hundred dollars to have a shop upgrade the system to R134A or spend maybe half of that on the alternative refrigerants. What checks can I do firsthand before i take it to a shop? Do I need to replace major parts such as the compressor and condenser when performing an upgrade? If I just have a shop vacuum the system and then I fill the system with refrigerant, will the result be satisfactory or am I just wasting my time?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

drain the system, pull the compressor, replace the receiver dryer, drain the r12 oil out of it, change all the o-rings in the system (they are going to be at least 10 years old and leaky), then vacuum test the system, if it holds vacuum you can put some oil and refrigerant into the compressor and then refill the system to r134 spec with one of those DIY kits.

thats what i did. total cost to me was about $50.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Or just buy r12 on ebay.

Quick Reply: A/C service