Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

This close to giving up

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
Yeah? I had a Sinclair Z81 and then a Lisa and then the first Mac...128k of memory and no hard drive...the only fiber we had was belly buton lint...and the 944 had not been rolled out yet...

If you want ot have fun how about a secure wireless network with a Tec3....tall enough tower and I could remotly tune and datalog at the track...
I thought you were going to say you could remote tune a car in FL from your house...

maybe if you used a remote host / client you could... hmmm maybe we should work something up.... Chris White way remote tuning service....

Just imagine the possibilities....
Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
dagame27
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my car back a few days ago, with some noticeable changes. My cold oil pressure isn't that bad(between 3 and 4.5bar). I still get low hot oil pressure and struggle to get over 3.5bar at any time. I now have a new problem in which the central warning light and oil pressure warning light flicker incessantly even when oil pressure is up. I had the sender unit and OPRV replaced the last time it was at my mechanic. Any idea's? I have yet to check the oil cooler thermostat, as I don't want to have the engine torn into if it's going to need a rebuild anyways. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I am pretty sure the only thing you need to remove to get to the thermostat is the oil filter...

Odd that your light is flickering opposite of the gauge though. I might have to think about that one...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
RENEE_J
Advanced

Central warning light and oil pressure warning light flicker incessantly even when oil pressure is up is caused by bad wiring shorting intermediately. I had it happen.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
BGA9512
Advanced

Originally Posted by RENEE_J
Central warning light and oil pressure warning light flicker incessantly even when oil pressure is up is caused by bad wiring shorting intermediately. I had it happen.
Which may the issue here, in which case the problem is mechanical and not mechanical (requiring a rebuild).
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by BGA9512
Which may the issue here, in which case the problem is mechanical and not mechanical (requiring a rebuild).
do what?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by carlege
do what?
I believe he meant mechanic related...not mechanical failure but mechanic failure...
Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 PM
BGA9512
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I believe he meant mechanic related...not mechanical failure but mechanic failure...
Oops, I meant "electrical, not mechanical"

Also a real possibility some of this is created/perpetuated by the mechanic
Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 PM
dagame27
Instructor

The wire on the sender makes sense. I'll get that fixed in short order. Can anyone confirm the earlier comment that only the oil filter need be removed in order to install the oil cooler thermostat? I am not in a rush to replace my engine, believe me. I will if I have to, however.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
LOL
Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dagame27
The wire on the sender makes sense. I'll get that fixed in short order. Can anyone confirm the earlier comment that only the oil filter need be removed in order to install the oil cooler thermostat? I am not in a rush to replace my engine, believe me. I will if I have to, however.
Hey Chris - yup - just the oil filter. I was the one having issues with mine. I would have ok oil pressure and then when the car got warm the thermostat would start to act up and create a blockage from what I could tell.

If you are going to attempt this replacement yourself though you need some big tools as the cap for the housing where the thermostat is has a lot of torque on it.

BTW - if you check out post #43 on that thread that ilikemy944 posted a link to there is a nice pictorial on the oil cooler thermostat removal and how it works...
Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM
dagame27
Instructor

Thanks Josh. I think I will go ahead and replace that. It doesn't seem like it would add too much extra cost and if it doesn't work, then I can worry about rebuilding or buying another engine.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 AM
dagame27
Instructor

I received my car back after replacing the oil cooler thermostat. Unfortunately, my problem remains. I'm just not sure what else it could be. I drove it to work today (40 miles highway) and it drove absolutely perfect.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dagame27
I received my car back after replacing the oil cooler thermostat. Unfortunately, my problem remains. I'm just not sure what else it could be. I drove it to work today (40 miles highway) and it drove absolutely perfect.
How come this mechanic keeps giving you the car back without fixing the problem, it really sounds like you are having to micromanage every step of this diagnosis. Get some recommendations on 951 mechanics in your area and take it there I'd say.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 AM
carlege
Drifting

Did you check it with a mechanical gauge like it shows in the manual when the engine is warm?

Quick Reply: This close to giving up