Opinions on what to do with my car :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Opinions on what to do with my car :(

Hey guys,

Some of you remember my many oil pressure issues. After changing everything in the book, and finally taking it to the shop to have them check out the bottom end, they are telling me that rod bearings and main bearings are bad. My options are:

Continue to have them work on it and replace the main/rod bearings and put it back together. $$$

Pull this engine and put a used 944 turbo engine in it. $$
(Big gamble in my opinion, who the hell knows what your gonna get.)

Have them stop working on it, tow it to my house, part it out.

Sell it without a working engine.

Ideas guys? This car is killing me! Any ball parks on what I could get if I parted it out? Money is DEFINITELY an issue. Please no sob stories about parting out a 944, just looking for the best economical/end outcome option.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is fix it your self an issue? why didnt you do rod bearings first? no rod knock?

there is a guy that lives near me with a once beautiful car that had the same exact problem and is in the same situation except he let the car sit for 7 years. and is trying to sell for 3k

edit: he is having a hard time selling it for 3k
Old 07-22-2009, 12:01 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
is fix it your self an issue? why didnt you do rod bearings first? no rod knock?

there is a guy that lives near me with a once beautiful car that had the same exact problem and is in the same situation except he let the car sit for 7 years. and is trying to sell for 3k

edit: he is having a hard time selling it for 3k
+1, do it yourself
PS: your car is beautiful!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are those real cup wheels or replicas? Probably about 6 to 7k in parts and it would take two or three months of taking apart the car, listing things for sale and shipping them to do the job.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

1) If you were to sell it as is, what would you need out of it?
2) If you have never parted out a car... you don't want to... if you can't fix the bottom end, you don't want to part it...
3) The shop should be able to give a solid estimate to replace the mains and rod bearings... and If it is already apart to the point where they have said both are bad, it shouldn't be all that much more for them to replace... getting to them is the hard part....
4) There are lots of people on here, who I am sure would be more than happy to come over to you and help with / hold you hand during / do for you while you watch replacing the bearings... just ask... There are some VERY competent wrenches in new england.....

I would like a nice shiney med slate grey 951 to match my MSG 88 N/A...not askin, just sayin...
Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

My only hesitation in doing it myself is that the engine has to be pulled to change all the main bearings if I have been told the correct information. I do have an engine hoist available to me but it has to come out of the bottom right? How complicated is putting the bottom end together? I have done multiple headgaskets so I do feel comfortable working on the car, I just have never dealt with doing anything on the bottom end.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
carlege
Drifting

i would change the rod bearings first. then re assemble the engine in starting shape and pray when you start it. (my money would be on rod bearings) You will have to remove the engine for main.... go as simple as possible

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/rodbearings.html

how too.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

i would change the rod bearings first. then re assemble the engine in starting shape and pray when you start it. (my money would be on rod bearings) You will have to remove the engine for main.... go as simple as possible

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/rodbearings.html

how too.
That is a little risky though no? Get the whole thing back together to find out that it has to be done again? I was told by the shop that the crank has "significant play" back and fourth
carlege
Drifting

i understand being tight for money and not having alot of time but making time is easier then making money for me...
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
My only hesitation in doing it myself is that the engine has to be pulled to change all the main bearings if I have been told the correct information. I do have an engine hoist available to me but it has to come out of the bottom right? How complicated is putting the bottom end together? I have done multiple headgaskets so I do feel comfortable working on the car, I just have never dealt with doing anything on the bottom end.
SHI-poop...bring it home and get intimate with it... bearings are cheap, and you will laugh about it when it is done for even asking the question...

If you can handle the head gaskets you can handle the mains and rods... just take your time and do it right the first time... just imagine the "while your in there" parts you can buy....
Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
SHI-poop...bring it home and get intimate with it... bearings are cheap, and you will laugh about it when it is done for even asking the question...

If you can handle the head gaskets you can handle the mains and rods... just take your time and do it right the first time... just imagine the "while your in there" parts you can buy....
You make a very good point...
Parting the car is way more work then replacing the bearings too...
hmm
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
carlege
Drifting

its your decision... rod bearings would be the easiest and after you did that and if it dosent work then you know exactly what to do....... I would check the crank myself? what they tell you over the phone and what the reality is might be different since they stand to gain the most from the main bearing replacement...... + they have replace every under the sun besides trying this. WTF and you still believe them!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:25 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

its your decision... rod bearings would be the easiest and after you did that and if it dosent work then you know exactly what to do....... I would check the crank myself? what they tell you over the phone and what the reality is might be different since they stand to gain the most from the main bearing replacement...... + they have replace every under the sun besides trying this. WTF and you still believe them!
I tried everything under the sun before giving it to them. Not them. I finally gave up on it because I don't have the time right now to be pulling the pan. School/work occupies most of my time. I was willing to pay to have the rod bearings replaced. But now that the mains need replacing too I am looking at all the options.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 PM
carlege
Drifting

When it comes to oil pressure im pretty sure every solution involves pulling the pan. Besides to obvious of adding oil and OPRV? lol
Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

When it comes to oil pressure im pretty sure every solution involves pulling the pan. Besides to obvious of adding oil and OPRV? lol
Oil pressure relief valve, torquing the main crankshaft bolt, re-priming the oil pump, oil pressure thermostat, oil pressure sender...

Quick Reply: Opinions on what to do with my car :(