Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default block refinishing....interested?

I am thinking about adding another engine rebuilding solution, what do you guys think?

I have been doing the MID sleeved engines for quite a while, dry sleeves before that in addition to stock bore rebuilds.
For about a year and a half I have had a test engine out there running alusil compatible pistons (about 50 track days) so now I am completely comfortable with the ability of the custom pistons / rings to run in the alusil bores.
So the next logical step is to offer an overbore ‘kit’ for those the like to build their own engines. 100.5 or 101 mm bore (using your core block) with new pistons and rings for $1500…any thoughts?

BTW – we can spec any compression ratio you want.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I'm kind of after a set of custom pistons if you do them for a 3.1 I've put aside ..
Old 07-20-2009, 02:28 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The issue is finding someone competent in your area to do the overbore on your cylinders. Most shops are used to doing iron blocks not the alusil. I am in the process of trying to locate someone in my area, if not then you have to crate it up and send else where.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by rlm328
The issue is finding someone competent in your area to do the overbore on your cylinders.
Thats what I will be doing...if there is enough interest.
Boring / finishing the cylinders is not rocket science - all you need is $2k worth of special tooling attached to your $100k CNC mill and the right set up in your honing station...
Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
well I'm kind of after a set of custom pistons if you do them for a 3.1 I've put aside ..
Drop me line if you need any info on the pistons - chris@944enhancement.com
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

So for $1500, you would sell a block with pistons, rings, rods, crank, balance shafts and crank girdle? Would the rotating bits be balanced and would bearings for rods and mains be included? Could this be done on a core exchange basis (core being factory block, crank, rods, pistons, balance rods)?

I might be interested in this depending on costs and details. Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by white924s
So for $1500, you would sell a block with pistons, rings, rods, crank, balance shafts and crank girdle? Would the rotating bits be balanced and would bearings for rods and mains be included? Could this be done on a core exchange basis (core being factory block, crank, rods, pistons, balance rods)?

I might be interested in this depending on costs and details. Thanks
Ummmm...no, sorry. You would have to be a registered charity for that much of a donation!

If you send me your block I will bore and finish it, supply you with new pistons, pins and rings ready for you to assemble. I will make sure the pistons are balanced. That’s pretty much it!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be sending you one this winterish (if it holds that long) for some work... this sounds very interesting to me, but would probably go for full tilt you assemble /ballance it for me, so all I would have to do is bolt on items to make it a long block...

Would you also do overbore for the $1500 say from 100 to 101, with pistons/rings/rods? I will definitely be hitting you up end of summer/ fall for some work, unless it goes to Dave... Or a catastrophe happens (oil in engine from my thread...)...

BTW what do you charge for a full street rebuild?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Ummmm...no, sorry. You would have to be a registered charity for that much of a donation!

If you send me your block I will bore and finish it, supply you with new pistons, pins and rings ready for you to assemble. I will make sure the pistons are balanced. That’s pretty much it!
Ah fair enough. That still sounds like a pretty good deal

Although this does raise the question - anyone want to start a charity that donates newly refinished modified Porsche engines to people in need (of newly refinished Porsche engines) haha
Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
I think this is an outstanding value. May as well toss together a whole parts kit for the complete short block.....

Considering the cranks rarely NEED any work (which can be done at any local machine shop) other then a clean-up, balance check, and maybe a polish, throw in some bearings and a bottom end gasket and you can have a fresh short block for $2500 (shipping included).
Old 07-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a reasonable deal to me. I would definitely consider it if I wasn’t able to reuse my stock block and pistons. (And if I blow up this engine, I may be calling you to work on my spare block).

I think it would also be nice to have a more complete short block ‘refresh’ package for the DIYers—new pistons & rings, new coated bearings, refinish bores, cross drill & polish the crank, mag the rods, etc. Maybe offer it as a core-return service where you provide the proper packaging and a return shipping label with costs folded into the total price. Shipping a block is a hassle for the average joe, so minimizing that hassle might be a selling point.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 PM
2bridges
Drifting

I am interested.

Pistons are forged I presume? What is your method for making the pistons alusil compatible? (coating or the piston material itself)
Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1500 for that dosent sound bad. I guess + freight
Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Sure, I can off just about any level of build, I was just starting with the DIY set up as the base cost. I have found that once I talk with the customer they all want / need something slightly different so it gets hard to put a price on a complete short block or a complete engine.
The piston coating is a proprietary system by Wossner. While the coating is important the ring choice is really critical.
The bore size can be 100.5 to 101mm…possibly bigger if you want it! I will need another set of machining tools to do the 104mm block…if the demand is there I will setup for those too.

When I get a second I will see about getting some pricing for the bearings/gaskets to go with the basic DIY kit. I am off to Watkins Glen for a couple of days…

Freight is not that bad - the bare block is under 90 lbs so it can go regular UPS.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention - the pistons are about 75g lighter than stock (depends on exact design)!!

Stock 951 pistons are really heavy!

Quick Reply: block refinishing....interested?