Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is on the stock brake pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default What is on the stock brake pedal?

So I've been having issues with the pedals in my car. I have pretty big, wide feet (size 14 wide) and if I wear any pair of shoes other than this one pair of Diesels (which are really slim and snug fitting) I sometimes have problems fitting my foot between the brake pedal and the center console (to get to the gas pedal.) I also noticed that if I stomped on the brake pedal, the right side of my foot was awfully close to the gas pedal.

I took a look... and found a set of retarded Momo pedal covers screwed down to the stock pedals. I took the one off the brake pedal, and noticed that I'll have a good extra 1/4" (if not more) clearance now. Sweeeeeet. BUT - the stock pedal has nothing on it.

What should on the stock pedal? Just a piece of fitted rubber? Or do these cars typically have a different metal plate or something bolted to it? Looking @ the pedal, it's definitely missing SOME kind of cover. Worst case I'll just remount the Momo one but I wanna see what the stock stuff is first.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:41 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Little rubber pads come on em stock...IRRC they are very cheap for replacements (paragon)
Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM
aelliott
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones I took off mine have VW/Audi logos stamped on them, with the following part number: 321 721 173 (clutch and brake pedals both--look identical to me). Could try a VW dealer, but I did buy replacements from the local Porsche dealer once and they were 75 cents each or something. Hardly worth paying shipping.

Tip: use a hair dryer to heat them up when stretching them over the metal.

Adam
Old 07-11-2009, 10:00 PM
GuyKeefer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch and brake pedal pads are the same thing. They are fairly cheap, so I would suggest just ordering a set online, or purchasing a nice set of metal ones. I think someone was advertising some really nice metal ones on here a few weeks ago.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:07 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock padal covers are right around 3-1/4" wide (± 1/32") which is about 1/8" wider on either side than the metal section.
I have the same trouble when wearing something like classic Doc Martins, but am okay with skate shoes.
You can gain a little clearance by removing some of the insulation under the carpet to the right of the gas pedal.

Quick Reply: What is on the stock brake pedal?