944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OIL LEAK>>>NEED GUIDANCE

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009 | 07:08 PM
brooks944
Instructor

Very interested in this thread since my '86 209K mile 951 started a leak just like this after sitting for about 7 days last week. I know I have a minor leak around the oil pan but this oil leak (on the passenger side) was not a "seap" but much more and dripping significantly. Thanks for the information and I plan to check out the recommendations made so far tomorrow.

Rick
'86 951 Non-sunroof Coupe
'85 911 Turbo Look Carerra
Old 07-10-2009 | 12:10 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Oil pan gasket and AOS seals are also known to leak...
Old 07-10-2009 | 12:14 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

While cleaning the kitchen this evening, I found myself musing about pulling the engine to do ALL the seals... who am I kidding doing that would make sense.... but me a major PITA....
Old 07-10-2009 | 04:36 PM
brooks944
Instructor

I was able to check my car out today in decent light and did not have an oil leak on the exhaust. There was some clear liquid leaking onto the exhaust and actually dripping off the wastegate (mine is closer to the middle of the car than a stock one). Could this be condensate? If not, what clear liquid, that evaporates quickly, could this be? All fluid levels in the car are where they should be.

Drove the car about 15 miles today and it ran great. Any ideas, I have autocrosses the next 2 weekends, and hate to blow my baby up, so what do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Rick
'86 951
'85 911 Turbo Look
Old 07-10-2009 | 06:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Lower balance shaft rear "plug" dancing around when I started her, small leak... let her run for 10 minutes or so and the dancing stopped. Leak stopped. too her out for a couple of full boost runs and still no dancing, still no more leak...

I'm puzzled as to why it would be dancing, and leaking and then decide it was done dancing? AND what all is needed to replace the rear balance shaft seal? Shop cost?

OR should I follow search results and brake cleaner/permatex gray the rear sealing surfaces? Survey says?

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 07-10-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2009 | 01:30 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Goo it up with copper RTV. It will hold (for years) until you are in there doing other jobs and can replace the seal easier.
Old 07-11-2009 | 12:43 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Lower balance shaft rear "plug" dancing around when I started her, small leak... let her run for 10 minutes or so and the dancing stopped. Leak stopped. too her out for a couple of full boost runs and still no dancing, still no more leak...

I'm puzzled as to why it would be dancing, and leaking and then decide it was done dancing? AND what all is needed to replace the rear balance shaft seal? Shop cost?

OR should I follow search results and brake cleaner/permatex gray the rear sealing surfaces? Survey says?
The plug was probably picking up the rotation of the shaft a bit before things expanded enough to create a bit more clearance. See proximity below. I've heard plenty of folks have success with the goop method, but not sure I could bring myself to do it.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2009 | 09:24 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The plug was probably picking up the rotation of the shaft a bit before things expanded enough to create a bit more clearance. See proximity below. I've heard plenty of folks have success with the goop method, but not sure I could bring myself to do it.
Well, I brought myself to do it this afternoon, will see how it is holding tomorrow afternoon, I want to give the good a full 24 hours to cure... Also got around to packing up the wiring from my Zietronix install and installed my MBC, Fuel pressure gauge, new recirc valve, last of the vacuum lines, and repositioned a coolant hose that has been leaking... tomorrow will tell... Oh and new lug nuts... nice black alloy ones....

I'm planning an engine refresh this winter, so I'll take care of the goop then...

Quick Reply: OIL LEAK>>>NEED GUIDANCE