Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Traction control ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Traction control ???

So as we've noted in other threads while we love our cars they are from an era gone by. We can modify a 951 in track trim and struggle to beat a stock 997 out of the box street trim. The technology is just too great in many cases. Doesn't mean it's better as far as driver involvement and increasing your skill set, but it exists nonetheless.

So I'm going to utilize traction control on the next project. It will be a track car only. Why I'm starting this thread is to get various opinions as how to go about setting this up. It will be in the ECU that I'm using and we were thinking of just hooking it up to the ABS sensors. Then it's a matter of trial and error I guess in terms of adj the settings. It sounds too simple and I'm sure I'm missing something. Please feel free to voice opinions or experiences.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like a fabulous project! I think sensing wheel spin is easy (via the sensors, like you say)... the hard part will be controlling the brakes. Might not be too much if you do an aftermarket ABS pump and brain. Remember, our ABS is 3 channel - it operates both rear calipers together if only one wheel is locking up.

To do traction control, you'll have to control the rear wheels independently. That'll take a new pump and an extra brake line to the rear.

What LSD do you have? Might be cheaper to get a Guard 50/80... Did Geo sell his yet?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

using brakes to act as traction control for a track car? hmmm....not optimum!
Usually traction control is done at the engine management level, E throttle is the best solution. Dropping cylinders, retarding timing is not the most elegant solution.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Gotcha.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One word: Megasquirt
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

traction control is pretty easy with a lot of aftermarket ECU patric, and it works.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a 2 stage boost controller. I believe the apex-i AVC-R can actually limit boost in certain gears.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: Link g4

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So as we've noted in other threads while we love our cars they are from an era gone by. We can modify a 951 in track trim and struggle to beat a stock 997 out of the box street trim. The technology is just too great in many cases. Doesn't mean it's better as far as driver involvement and increasing your skill set, but it exists nonetheless.

So I'm going to utilize traction control on the next project. It will be a track car only. Why I'm starting this thread is to get various opinions as how to go about setting this up. It will be in the ECU that I'm using and we were thinking of just hooking it up to the ABS sensors. Then it's a matter of trial and error I guess in terms of adj the settings. It sounds too simple and I'm sure I'm missing something. Please feel free to voice opinions or experiences.
I am going to set up my car with traction control using the Link g4 stand alone. I need to justify doing this on a street car.

I have have the M030 hubs and spindles for the front however the rears are a problem have to install ABS rear trailing arms.

Are there sensors available other than the ABS sensors?

-BB
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

agreed throttle is the best .. but a good ecu will do it also ..

I good ecu will be running a different map for each gear so you set that map up with appropriate boost and ignightion timeing so you there for have to ask less of your traction control feature's ..
Also these first and second gear maps are a pretty effective base for you 94 octane map..

there are qiute a few half fixes for those who don't want programmable efi .
so dual stage boost control dual stage rev limit.

another option and can do tomorrow is play around with the throttle cam .. i believe the profile on the cam that guids the cable can be messed with and perhaps gives the driver better control ...

I belive 994 NA's people would change the throttle cam fot a more resonsive drive ... what this means is more throttle travel in the in the first half of the pedal stroke .. on a track car whats needed as you push the pedal is is opens fast to 30% thend moves slow in relation to pedal movement ...
there has been much more work on this in motor bikes ..

the problem is that when the throttle is say 74% open it yeilds 94% of full flow.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I've just got it all wrong. When I take my Camaro out on the track I make a point of turning OFF the traction control :O On my 944 track car the ABS has been deleted.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
goldminer
Instructor

The serious guys in the modern cars run with the traction control off because they find it too intrusive but I guess if you are starting from scratch you could program it to suit your needs.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I wish I had the power to need traction control...
Old 07-07-2009, 01:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

rather than traction control and its complicated electrics, you could pull a trick from the book of mclaren (what a good place to go for advice)

on their F1 cars in the late 90s they installed a second brake pedal and an adjustable bias valve that let them select a rear wheel to brake under turn-in...that would be a matter of hydraulic lines, no electricals necessary..
Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

"complicated electronics "???
electronics is the simple way to do active chasis control it all starts with a extra valve or pedal then easily gets out with lots of valves .
since F1 outlawed electronic active chasis and driver aids the level of hydralic wisardry and conplication in current F1 cars makes a russian ejecter seat look simple
Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

traction control is for people who can't drive!

Quick Reply: Traction control ???