Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How bad is it? Camshaft belt not moving...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009 | 01:57 AM
SprintStar
Instructor

Default How bad is it? Camshaft belt not moving...

Hi guys!

Maybe my 951 was protesting we should go see the Drift Competition...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hreadid=538873

Anyway, I was cranking and it sounded funny. I stopped and took off the dizzy cap to check. Rotor not turning. I partially opened the belt cover and got my wife to crank. All belts move except the camshaft belt.

How bad is it? Will the valves bend? What caused it? My belt is newish (about a year old) and the tension is right! Broken teeth on belt? Man...

I'm thinking of putting in a belt to try. Or am I just wasting my time? Do I have to open up the head?

I have got a Cometic MLS in there with o-ringed heads. I didn't get any leaks with it. Should I re-use it? Or go wide-fire?

I'm getting mad at this blue-eyed boy. He's costing me a lot of money! But I do love him so. Argh!!!

Sprint.
Old 07-05-2009 | 02:20 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Through my experience, the teeth on the belt are probably stripped off down by the gear on the crank. If you pull the front belt covers off you should have enough visibility to see if the belt is damaged.

And those drift pics are badass! I go to the Formula D event in Atlanta every year... love it!
Old 07-05-2009 | 03:26 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stop cranking the engine now!

I would do a compression or leakdown test, you probably do have bent valves.
Old 07-05-2009 | 03:43 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

replace the belt turn the engine by hand with the plugs out then compression test it ...
yeh don't crank it
i stripped my cam belt @ 140mph bent 2 vales but i would think if it striped on a crank up you may have a chance.
Old 07-08-2009 | 01:15 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Default Good compression numbers! :-)

Put on a new belt and prior to doing a compression test, I decided to just fire up the engine. It ran smooth!

I immediately did a compression test and 1, 2 and 3 has 120psi whereas 4 had 110 psi.

Did I luck out?

I'm glad he's running again!

Sprint.
Old 07-08-2009 | 01:50 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Compression is a little low. Do a leakdown test on it.
Old 07-08-2009 | 03:05 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Originally Posted by cruise98
Compression is a little low. Do a leakdown test on it.
The numbers are from a cold engine. I did the compression test immediately after the engine fired up.

Just read thru search and realized compression test should be done on a warm engine. I'm curious what the difference is and if done cold, what are the effects. Thanks!

Sprint.
Old 07-08-2009 | 04:18 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Damn crazy lucky.. play the lottery.
Old 07-08-2009 | 05:13 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SprintStar
The numbers are from a cold engine. I did the compression test immediately after the engine fired up.

Just read thru search and realized compression test should be done on a warm engine. I'm curious what the difference is and if done cold, what are the effects. Thanks!

Sprint.
Your compressions numbers are fine (albeit low). Compression tests are a pretty limited diagnostic tool and what your really looking for is consistency across the board (within 10% or so). Most of us see 130 to 140 warm on a turbo but compression numbers can be affected by throttle position, engine temperature, gauge calibration (cheap vs quality gauge), batery voltage, starter speed, # of cranks, hose seal @ plug thread, and the list goes on. What you are really using the gauge for in this case it to determine if you have a bent valve (if you did the drop would be a lot more than the 10 psi that you found), and based on those numbers and the way the car is running you seem to be fine. If you are worried (doesn't sound like you are), do a leakdown on all or any of the cylinders to determine the health of the valves, rings, or HG.

BTW, glad to hear you didn't do major damage....we don't get enough of those stories around here.
Old 07-08-2009 | 09:04 PM
SprintStar
Instructor

Default I will!!!

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Damn crazy lucky.. play the lottery.
I'm going to buy my number plate numbers this weekend. Anyone else feeling lucky? 3195.

If I win, I'm going to take off my charlie arms and go to my machine shop and make some for you folks at $1k a pair!

Haha.. The real reason is I'm fed up of waiting for replacement ball joints. I was told there's a 2-3 month wait on them. My new front left tire is showing a lot of wear becoz I can't dial in the right toe-in. Grrr...

Sprint.

Quick Reply: How bad is it? Camshaft belt not moving...