Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What turbo to fit my needs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

I'm still building so can't give numbers. My Vitesse MAF/piggyback / Z is on order with John. I'm building from the crank up and sort of penciled it all in before I started buying and sending stuff out for machine work. On the turbo I wanted something that would keep the water cooling and bolt right up like stock on the hot side ( it's 3" intake now). Car is being built as a fast - fun - Sunday driver. So, I sent the old K26 (yep, leaking seals) to Jim & Gerry at: www.gpopshop.com
(479)-751-7966
In Springdale Ark. Did their "Performance rebuild with 360 degree thrust bearing" and let them choose the compressor side. Ended up with a To4e + custom #44 trim. Said I would love it, told me to think of it as the best and biggest K27 ever seen. We'll see but price (about $675 or so all up) was good and came back looking like all new. Very nice. Give a call and see what they suggest.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If your goal is 350hp, there are a few options that will work nicely for you. We offer the K26 cheater turbo, looks identical to the factory unit (from the outside). On the inside it's a different story. With the required engine management pieces, you will be around your price range.
A customer traded in a nice turbo on a Vitesse kit, the turbo had 1000 miles or less, with required engine management, it'll be a bit over your $2K budget.

Don't be too concerned with peak HP/TQ numbers, the area under the curve, the response, the spoolup characteristics are much more important.

Fell free to drop me a note if I can assist you.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't forget that you'll probably need a new/upgraded clutch once you start making some power.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only got 2k to spend. I'd honestly look into trying to source a 27/6 and save the rest of your money. Vitesse is the best software on the market IMHO but, its a little over your price range.

Honesty if you could just find a used turbo from someone on the list and install that while you save your coin for a fully supported package thats a much better way to aproach this. Trying to piece mods together on a 944 turbo with a limited budget is dangerous at best.

Have you done belts, seals, bearings, waterpump, rollers, etc on your engine? 2k on these cars go's quick. I'd probably spend the first several grand make the car right. They are after all 20 years old now and alot of parts will just need replacing due to age.

When you do save up the coin. Just call Vitesse and get one of their kits and be done with it. For 99% of 944 turbo owners its more than enough.

Quick Reply: What turbo to fit my needs?