Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The 951 question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the thread Chris. It's certainly brought up some interesting viewpoints.

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
The 993 has always been one of those 'on my list' cars for me also. I have driven them and feel like its one of those cars that could potentially put a smile on my face like the 951 does without some of those reliability issues. Its 10 years newer (thats not saying much though!), is n/a.. so no problems that are compounded by running boost and they are very solid engines with the exception of some quirks like soft valve guides and the SAI pump check engine light problems on the OBDII cars. The downside is it would probably feel downright anemic compared to a nicely setup 951 at even just 15psi..but the thought of a quick reving, all motor 3.8 are nice.. .
Like you, for a long time I was also sold on the 'real Porsche' and 'last of the aircooled' aura that surrounds the 993.

That was until I started doing some reading on those cars in reputable publications like 911 & Porsche World, etc.

The bottom line for me here is what Chris put best. The 951 is not only a great performance package, but it's also fairly accessible as a DIY platform.

But that's not all. If you don't go too crazy with modification or resist the temptation to modify at all, the 951 is probably one of the most reliable turbos of it's day. Perhaps because its development was not limited by as many historical design limitations as the 911 line, etc.

In so many words, unlike what some may think, the 951 was designed and built to last. Conversely, the air cooled 911s, although an excellent platform for all it's racing heritage simply doesn't have the longevity benefits associated with a watercooled engine, which Porsche eventually went with anyway.

If you like to put miles on your car, then I don't think the 993 engine will give you any less reliability issues than your 951. Aircooled engines 'tire' and generally need to be rebuilt a lot sooner than watercooled. When that time comes for your 993, that old 951 will start looking like a true bargain.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:23 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ppg,

It is now clear that you have confused me for Koa!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Thanks for the thread Chris, it's certainly brought up some interesting viewpoints.

Like you, for a long time I was also sold on the 'real Porsche' and 'last of the aircooled' aura that surrounds the 993.

That was until I started doing some reading on those cars in reputable publications like 911 & Porsche World, etc.

The bottom line for me here is what Chris put best. The 951 is not only a great performance package, but it's also fairly accessible as a DIY platform.

But that's not all. If you don't go too crazy with modification or resist the temptation to modify at all, the 951 is probably one of the most reliable turbos of it's day. Perhaps because its development was not limited by as many historical design limitations as the 911 line, etc.

In so many words, unlike what some may think, the 951 was designed and built to last. Conversely, the air cooled 911s, although an excellent platform for all it's racing heritage simply doesn't have the longevity benefits associated with a watercooled engine, which Porsche eventually went with anyway.

If you like to put miles on your car, then I don't think the 993 engine will give you any less reliability issues than your 951. Aircooled engines 'tire' and generally need to be rebuilt a lot sooner than watercooled. When that time comes for your 993, that old 951 will start looking like a true bargain.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

and you math geeks, I didn't count the zeroes, but presume that there is a line over the first zero...dammit!

Good post, Sir!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
ppg,

It is now clear that you have confused me for Koa!
I pity you for being mistaken for me...
Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I pity you for being mistaken for me...
ROFL!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:13 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 951 is a car not many see often, or they normally will but it'll be ragged out and just trashed. You get a 951 that's done right and some good looking wheels...it draws people in. Then again, in my town at cruise night, people walk right on by my 951. They don't know what it is. They're too much in to NASCAR, crappy fords and their mopars. There are hardly any actual nice cars in my town. Most are muscle cars buy have just a chrome intake or valve covers and they're spotless with the rest of the motor bay dirty and nasty.

Now if I actually went to a cruise in a fancier town, people would recognize the car. It does turn heads though. Most people are curious. They never knew Porsche made such a car. I love owning something people ask about instead of just assuming. A Loy of people assume about my dads factory restored '65 Chevy II SS. The 951? Not so much. I love the attention it draws.

Then again, there's also the people that want to go on about their great uncle's nephew's sister's fiance's dad that had one and it ran like complete crap...only to find out it was a 924!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:27 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
A 951 is a car not many see often, or they normally will but it'll be ragged out and just trashed. You get a 951 that's done right and some good looking wheels...it draws people in. Then again, in my town at cruise night, people walk right on by my 951. They don't know what it is. They're too much in to NASCAR, crappy fords and their mopars. There are hardly any actual nice cars in my town. Most are muscle cars buy have just a chrome intake or valve covers and they're spotless with the rest of the motor bay dirty and nasty.

Now if I actually went to a cruise in a fancier town, people would recognize the car. It does turn heads though. Most people are curious. They never knew Porsche made such a car. I love owning something people ask about instead of just assuming. A Loy of people assume about my dads factory restored '65 Chevy II SS. The 951? Not so much. I love the attention it draws.

Then again, there's also the people that want to go on about their great uncle's nephew's sister's fiance's dad that had one and it ran like complete crap...only to find out it was a 924!
I find it the other way around over here. In Toronto, your 951 doesn't stick it out at all because there is a lot of new fine cars around here. When i drive to the regional towns just outside of toronto, I get a lot of stares and it gets more noticed.

Quick Reply: The 951 question...