Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The 951 question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I feel a little bad for some of you guys that have this love/hate relationship with your 944s... I've had my turbo for 9 years - and an NA for 4 years prior to that. And really I've got nothing but great things to say. I've blown a head gasket or two, and replaced a few clutches, etc. But I've never gotten to the point where I was pissed at or hated them!

They are true gems in the automotive world. In 8 more years I'll tell you how the 996 compares!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

As a brand new 944 owner (and first-time P-car owner) I'm not sure how qualified I am here to comment... but I will anyways

The 944 is a very different driving experience. I've been driving my 944 exclusively the last week, and took my '07 A4 out this afternoon to pick up my son... my my what a difference! The Audi is very easy to drive. Light steering, low-end torque (APR'd 2.0T), upright seating position, quiet interior with virtually NO engine presence. The 944 is rough (Bilstein Cup kit), kinda loud (3" exhaust), no low end torque (it's a 951), heavy steering... you get the idea. It definitely shows its age, too, in even the simple things, like no keyless entry. (Maybe it's more odd for me, I haven't had a car without keyless entry since 1999... 10 years ago!)

Every modern Porsche I've driven (986 and 987 Boxsters, 987 Cayman, 996 Carrera) has felt more like the Audi in the description above. I don't want to say "dull", because it's certainly NOT a dull driving experience. Just more, em, "comfortable" I guess. It's easier to lose sight of the fact that you're driving a sports car, and to just "zone out" and drive it. A 944? Not so much.

So I guess it depends on what you're after. If I had to have ONE car, I don't think I'd be happy with the 951. I love the "sports car" feel, don't mind a stiff ride (my A4 has Stasis coilovers on it) but it IS nice sometimes to just climb into something and drive, without a fuss or hassle. A newer Porsche would fit that bill better. For now, I like having the stark contrast. When I'm in the mood to drive a stiff sports car, I've got the 951.

Perhaps in a few years, when I get a little older, I'll lose interest in the stiff, rough edged cars and want something newer.

But I doubt it. If anything, the 951 will be swapped out for an older 911 Turbo... which is a lot less plush than the 951
Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are all crazy, these cars are nothing but money pits!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:02 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

You are all crazy
Isn't the definition of insanity something like trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome... My outcome is always the same... Car breaks, I spend money to fix it, add an "upgrade" and then drive off with giant grin as the boost builds One day I may change my mind and own a 996/997, but that's a ways off. Until then, I will take that insanity all the time.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris, you are absolutely right.
I suppose that's the main reason why i am celebrating 10th anniversary year with my 951. No much driving though lately, most wrenching
Old 06-30-2009, 05:17 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've spent the last month debating this point with myself. I've been searching for a car that is as close as possible to my idea of perfect. Considering reliability, utility, quality, looks, performance, etc. I believe the 968 is as close as it comes...... in my budget....... to perfect. The only thing it lacks is power. I was about to drop in a 951 motor, then I realized I'd take a hit on reliability!

I can't afford a 993 yet but I am a patient man.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:02 AM
rad_951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would disagree that the 951 takes higher skill to drive than a modern car. The 951 is very predictable. It is a car that doesn't seem to need electronic devices. If the back end starts to come around, the car lets you "feel it" and gives you time to react.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The other very nice thing about the 944T platform is that, with minor modifications you can beat the snot out of 911 based cars of the same era at the track.

You can even beat the snot out of a lot of the newer rear-engined cars at the track.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
This is a great point Chris... I am cutting myself (pun intended) on my 951 I think there are two factors at play with our cars
  1. Skill - I suspect there are many of us who do not have the necessary wrenching skills (myself included) to do these cars justice. As they age, they become more maintenance intensive and those without a deep repertoire of skills decide to move on to other cars that are less maintenance intensive (and frustrating) and possess more creature comforts...
  2. Economics - these cars are a luxury and those who need to create short-term liquidity (and long term too) are selling given the economy. Also there are a ton of "young" owners who now are moving onto university and into new phases of their lives and need to allocate both time and money differently.

Just my thoughts on what I see... I know I have thought of selling when my car is running to my satisfaction (given that it is sitting in the garage with the intake off and other things disassembled), but let's face I will drive it, be so enthralled and the though will wane...
Disagree. If you can follow directions and will purchase the tools, there isn't one thing you can't do, mechanically, on a 951. It doesn't take skill. It takes patience and effort.
As for creature comforts, Chris hit it on the head. This is a true sports car. For that, it has a huge amount of creature comfort. Whatever it lacks probably needs to be replced or repaired. In good shape, these cars are gems, and they're bullet proof.
Most folks just don't start with solid cars, so they think that something is always broken.
What do they expect for a 20 year+ old car?

Besides, I've seen some of the work you've done on your car. For a guy with no skills, I think you're doing a hell of a solid job, ya whiner!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to be part of the 951 community. Initially, I've always wanted a 82 SC and almost bought one. While I was considering buying an SC, a older gentleman dropped off his turbo S and said give it to someone who'd enjoy it. The shop owner's girl, drove a red 944, so I always viewed it as a girl car and didn't pay the turbo S any attention.

One day the shop owner, told me to forget about the SC and do some research on the turbo S. I shrugged it off, because there is no way I'm driving a kind of pink car with checkered plaid interior. Especially when I've always wanted to keep my first car and have been waiting for the perfect one. I realized the SC wanted way too much money and the car needed work and the turbo S was a better deal, I did some research on the internet and got intrigued.

It occurred to me, that I was slowly getting reeled in. I took the car for a weekend, sank my heavy right foot and somehow connected a wireless turbo IV to my adrenaline, craving system. Entranced by the boost, I didn't notice the swooping left hander that decreased in elevation and entered on the highway. This was where we test drove a car to make sure it was running right!!. I didn't let up, and held on.....

I've been hooked ever since. 5 years later, 2 winters as my only car (thank god for blizzaks), and now my dedicated track car i wouldn't have it any other way. Its funny. I think it attracts the same kind of people. I married my wife, because she wasn't too nice and boring, but could really keep me on my toes. My love for my first car that I will keep for as long as I can, is for similar reasons.....

I am entertaining a 996 C4s in the future as a daily driver....But i'll still keep my sibberosa.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:11 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good story. The first time I got in a 951 was early 1986, maybe late 85. I was a senior in high school. One of my team mates got to drive his Dad's brand new Guards Red Turbo to school. It was the first or second 951 that Brumos sold. We took off at lunch and went for a drive. That was the end of it for me. I KNEW I would have one someday.I've been driving a 951 for the best part of the last ten years, everyday. Mine is a daily driver and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Like a good woman, or a wife, there are always some issues to overcome, but if you really love her, you'll damned well figure out how to handle the problems.
Now if I can just find another '71 Cutlass, with a 350 4 barrel, my life will be complete!

BTW, for those wondering, 951's NEED to be driven EVERYDAY! I swear to God that they fall apart if they sit in one place too long. That's from personal experience. The engines expand and contract a good bit. If they don't get a good heat cycle daily, **** starts to happen. No Bull****.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:42 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll say my few pennies here.

Last year was the year I swore if I was going to sell it that was the time. Over the past year I have really looked at 911's. 993s, and 996s. The prices on these cars are so damn reasonable now that any 951 owner thats comfortable sinking several k in maintenance could afford one. Of course to properly maintain a modified example is another price bracket all together.

I came to the conclusion that I couldn't have both right now in my life. So if I wanted a 911 I'd have to part ways with the 944turbo. Something I toiled over for quite sometime. In the end I decided I just couldn't sell it. I've owned this car now for 6 years in that time I have the better part of 50k in it. It whines, and calls me names at times and yet I still keep it.

It just doesn't make sense. I don't know whats in us that we do this to ourselves. There are many other Porsche's I could own and I'd like to but, NOT at the expense of my 944. I will be buying more P-cars but, this will be one P-car I never part with. Today for instance I parked next to a brand new 997 at Panera. The owner the the 911 walked right up to me and started asking me all sorts of questions about my 944 turbo. He had owned one years ago but, never seen one like mine. He was literally floored and excited. I could see it.

This car gets looks every where it go's. I think its just so unique looking now with all the customization its truly a 1 off. I love this car and its truly mine. I also for the first time today turned up the boost. My god this thing is quick on 18psi. So sign me up on the stupid list. Lifetime membership please....
Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Disagree. If you can follow directions and will purchase the tools, there isn't one thing you can't do, mechanically, on a 951. It doesn't take skill. It takes patience and effort.
You are correct! However, I am of an age where I did have to learn to use tools growing up, Atari was all we had... there are many out there who won't and therefore find the cars too expensive to own after a while.

In retrospect, what I should have said is the desire to acquire the skills (I will include patience and perseverance as skills) required to work on these cars.

Thanks for the compliment much more perseverance than skill
Old 07-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was a good read Chris White. I plan to keep mine thru college.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:32 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

At the track over this weekend and my car is having a few handling issues however It is interesting how we can be going as fast as possible around eg a series of corners and have someone in a GT2 just drive around you. They are heavier, more powerful, engine in the rear etc but with all the gadgetry and the benefit of a few decades of technology they are in another stratosphere. It's not even the straightline speed that blows you away, it's just how they get their power down. Admittedly they're on real sticky slicks, but I was on R6s and the first day I had some pretty good grip but they just walk me.
So do I want one? Well sure but I don't have a spare half million lying around. $400+k to buy and some spare change for maintenance. Do I want a eg 993? Again, nice cars but then you've got to spend a lot of money on them to get not a lot more power. So do I want to give up on the track? No way! Build a 951 track car that will be lighter, responsive, and safer. Put a big hp 3L motor in it and get back out there and show the (arrogant) bastards that they're not the only ones on the track. In a funny, slightly twisted obsessional way, these 'Big Boys' are driving me on to spending all my hard earned in putting forward the case of the long forgotten 951.

I guess the point of Chris' original post was more street oriented but I thought I'd state it from a track perspective. The new cars are really good. Can we hope to match them, in reality probably not. Well not the GT2s and Cup Cars, but in terms of keeping or selling our cars, I will be keeping mine for now and hope that most of you do the same.

Quick Reply: The 951 question...