Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need advice on selling price...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
bluto951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on selling price...

Hey all, was hoping for some feedback on what I should ask for my 86 951...I am leaning towards $6500 but wanted to see if that's in line with other enthusiasts are seeing in the market. Here are the details, if you could let me know what you think I'd really appreciate it:

1986 951
Miles:136k
Purchased: May 1998
Reason selling: not functional enough and I dont think I am ever going to get into the track thing.
Link to Pictures (not live): http://public.fotki.com/XXXX/cars/porsche-951/

Condition:
Exterior: 7.5-8/10 - it looks great from just about any angle, I mean people stop in awe of the condition of the car, a few small chips here and there but otherwise it's a looker, so why grade it so low, well PO had to replace the drivers side rear quarter (due to an accident) and at that time had the car resprayed. It's not a great respray imho...some orange peel and over spray, but it does look nice up to about a foot or less away. Also, the sunroof works 100%.

Interior: 9/10: other than just a little wear on the drivers side bolster the interior is in great shape. The dash is original and shows no sign of splitting.

Mechanical 7.5/10: When I got the car it was more like a 6 out of ten. It's had loads of the std maintenance items taken car of when I got it (timing belt in the past 5-10k, seals waterpump amongst other things). I have loads of receipts so there's a good documented history here. But...it did need some tlc when I got it, it needed a few things like a new dv, a coolant flush etc but I still didn't like how the car was running temp wise so I took it in to get checked out, there was a crack in the radiator so I had that replaced. Still didn't run as well as I liked so I continued to troubleshoot and realized the one of the fans was going, so I sourced some used fans off rennlist (20k on them) and replaced them myself. Since then no issues with the running temp and she pulls with the best of them. Onto the issues, it has an oil leak at the cam seal and a slight coolant leak at the water pump....the oil leak is bad enough where when I start the car up after sitting for a week it takes a few minutes to burn the oil off the exhaust and then you wouldn't know you had a problem until it sat for another week. The one other problem with it right now, is I need to replace the tps (throttle position switch) the car idles high and sometimes cuts out under full throttle at higher highway speeds (almost like an overboost condition). New TPS is in hand just need to install it. Lastly...it has a powesteeringng rack with the pump disconnected. The turbo is original but spools w/out issue and develops full boost and the clutch was replaced about 30k ago as well.

The ac blows...it's charged but it nary makes much cold air. On a 70degree day it's fine but anything warmer it forget about it.

and here's a picture for the clicks :-)

Quick Reply: Need advice on selling price...