Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Having some fun with a GTR on the track.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great driving!

Love the FB Mazda RX7's, holds a steady flame early in the video hahahah.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah he was a bit of a pain to be honest. Held us up twice in one session, and he was going for his race license that day??
Old 06-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yeah he was a bit of a pain to be honest. Held us up twice in one session, and he was going for his race license that day??
Yeah I noticed, wonder if he got it....
Old 06-25-2009, 08:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Very nice ! What are those mirrors you are running now?
Sorry I missed this Costas. They're just 968 knockoffs.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by banana944
Yeah I noticed, wonder if he got it....
Don't think so. His car was actually a pretty nice little racer. Fully stripped and caged and worked n/a motor. Guess he thought he was going to be the quickest there that day. It had a bit of poke down the straight but I think he was a bit nervy around the corners as it didn't appear to be twitchy or out of sorts like mine. Might have just been a bit new to the car.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:27 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Love how you give the rx7 a dirty look @ 6:54 LFMAO
Old 08-29-2009, 05:40 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a DE yesterday and there were a few nice cars there. Came up to a new GTR and we had a bit of a play.
Patrick, kudos to you for your driving. You were much smoother overall, transitions were good, and your lines were optimal. Bravo my friend. The GTR had early turn-ins on several occasions where he missed the apex, and hurt his exit speed. But those damn GTRs, they are quick, tight, and for the money they are fast. Regardless, thanks for sharing the video it was a pleasure to watch. Is it possible to mount the camera somewhere else so it isn't dead in the center of our line of vision, from a viewer's perspective?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:31 PM
964-C2
Racer

Great driving!

What are your mods?

How much does your car weigh?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Aha, someone dragged this one up again. haha. Yes the mirror is a major p.i.t.a. but I could have located the camera better Rob.
I guess the nice thing about this video is that this was with a tired 2.5L '86 motor (that we've now seen has massive scoring in #4). Everything about the motor is stock. The ancillaries are the Vitesse Stage 5 kit and a larger intercooler. Obviously the VR5 kit was not designed for a stock 2.5L motor so the fact that it worked at all was testament to the good spooling characteristics of the big turbo. This also could only really have been OK with the S2 r&p. I have also been having some suspension setup issues and have been very kindly helped by Trucho who knows his stuff. Thanks Marlon!! Check out his threads if you want to learn something about suspension. Great guy too.

The car maybe a bit lighter than stock say by about 100lbs.

The most pleasing aspect of all this info is that here you have a 20 year old car with a 25 year old motor keeping up with the latest / greatest machine of the day. That's what keeps me doing what I do with these cars and I'm sure this is one of the main motivations for many other of you guys. I wish more of you would take film too. Oh, and W, you were right, I was giving him a dirty look. lol

Here's another short clip with the GT3076 in the car. It does miss the top end of the larger turbo, but makes up for it lower down. I was running a bit less boost so I think my lap times would be about the same overall. Not going 10/10ths as it's just a DE day but better than work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS1paBN8yko
Old 08-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Great driving and vid (but for that darn mirror). "BTW" is a prefatory remark used to introduce an afterthought or supplemental comment of lesser importance than the primary point of a discussion. It originates from the English expression: "By The Way"...
Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice video...

Lots of shifting! I forgot what that was like :-)

Hey... not to change the subject, but I've never seen a RHD 944. How does the steering shaft connect to the rack? Does it cross over somewhere or is the rack different than LHD cars?

TonyG\
Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Nice video...

Hey... not to change the subject, but I've never seen a RHD 944. How does the steering shaft connect to the rack? Does it cross over somewhere or is the rack different than LHD cars?

TonyG
Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Great driving and vid (but for that darn mirror). "BTW" is a prefatory remark used to introduce an afterthought or supplemental comment of lesser importance than the primary point of a discussion. It originates from the English expression: "By The Way"...
Thanks Tom. BTW, I was trying to figure out the context for you mentioning the expression "by the way", and I was scratching my head. Then I saw that I'd written "better than work" so I suppose you were making the simile?
When are we going to see some video of your car????

Originally Posted by TonyG
Nice video...

TonyG\
Well yeah there's more shifting than the lazy guys in their V8s have to do, but I like it anyway. Having said that, driving on the torque with less shifting is going to be faster. I'll wait for the 3L motor to do that. With the setup in that video of small capacity motor and big turbo, you have to shift or you die. Plus the final drive ratio is approx. 15% shorter on my car anyway.

As for the rack, well I'm not sure how much difference there is in between the RHD and LHD, but while the crossmembers are different with the RHD one having a hole in there so our steering shaft can go through, the headers / crossovers are not. So with the headers you have to put up with that little kink just after the flanges that makes way for our steering shaft, and we have to put up with the 90o turn up to the turbo. We could have a better curve there if it wasn't for your steering shaft. Unusually for Porsche they didn't make two different setups for the RHD / LHD markets?
Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2009, 11:10 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Thanks Tom. BTW, I was trying to figure out the context for you mentioning the expression "by the way", and I was scratching my head. Then I saw that I'd written "better than work" so I suppose you were making the simile?
When are we going to see some video of your car????

Well yeah there's more shifting than the lazy guys in their V8s have to do, but I like it anyway. Having said that, driving on the torque with less shifting is going to be faster. I'll wait for the 3L motor to do that. With the setup in that video of small capacity motor and big turbo, you have to shift or you die. Plus the final drive ratio is approx. 15% shorter on my car anyway.

As for the rack, well I'm not sure how much difference there is in between the RHD and LHD, but while the crossmembers are different with the RHD one having a hole in there so our steering shaft can go through, the headers / crossovers are not. So with the headers you have to put up with that little kink just after the flanges that makes way for our steering shaft, and we have to put up with the 90o turn up to the turbo. We could have a better curve there if it wasn't for your steering shaft. Unusually for Porsche they didn't make two different setups for the RHD / LHD markets?

Very interesting... never really thought of a RHD setup until I watched your video. Yeah... steering linkage through the cross member to a power rack with the gearbox on the passenger side rather than the drivers. So there it is...

Thanks for the info.

TonyG
Old 08-30-2009, 05:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
"BTW" is a prefatory remark used to introduce an afterthought or supplemental comment of lesser importance than the primary point of a discussion. It originates from the English expression: "By The Way"...
I'd just like to say D'OH!!! Sorry, I totally forgot the BTW reference in the clip from that poster and was thinking only of text in Rennlist Tom. Been a tough weekend.

Quick Reply: Having some fun with a GTR on the track.