Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

car stumbles/dies on take off

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
buxton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car stumbles/dies on take off

It just started last week. On take off the car stumbles or dies out. If it dies it does not want to start back up right away. I have to rev the engine high and let the clutch out slowly to keep it going. Sometimes it does it going into 2nd as well.

Both the speed and refference sensors were replaced less than 2 years ago and the tach is working fine. It seems electrical but I don't loose power inside when it happens. Possibly something grounding out?

Anyone had this problem or can help me diagnose it?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the adjustment of the TPS? I had issues with idling high and a stumble starting - adjusted the TPS and it worked fine for a few days - then had to replace it and no problems since. Well that is not true - just no problems with the TPS - we all know these are 951's and need their attention - worse than 2 year old kids!
Jack
Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

When the car won't start, do you have spark and fuel pressure? Sometimes a car that won't run at all is easier to troubleshoot. One of the easiest things you can do is replace the DME relay in the relay/fuse box. You should have a spare anyway.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
buxton
Racer

I haven't checked the TPS but will. I will pull the DME and check that too. It could be fuel related but not sure exactly how to check it as I don't have a pressure guage on my fuel rail.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 PM
buxton
Racer

I just jumped the DME pins (3, 5, & 7?) and still didn't start so I can assume the DME relay is good. Is there a seperate relay for the fuel pump?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
eniac
Drifting

If your going to be around this weekend, we can go over some common things and try to trace this issue down. I have a pressure guage on my fuel rail which we could swap for testing purposes.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
buxton
Racer

After doing a search about jumping the alarm system I came across an old thread about a short in an injector boot. I thought I would check it out and started moving the injector wires around. Unbelieveable, the car started up. I went out and wiggled the wire again and the motor died. I moved it again where there was a kink in the wires it started back up. There must be a short in the wires to that injector.

If I hadn't read that one thread out of the hundreds/thousands on this site I wouldn't have figured out the problem and would have had to have it towed to a shop. I love this site!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your hoses.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by buxton
After doing a search about jumping the alarm system I came across an old thread about a short in an injector boot. I thought I would check it out and started moving the injector wires around. Unbelieveable, the car started up. I went out and wiggled the wire again and the motor died. I moved it again where there was a kink in the wires it started back up. There must be a short in the wires to that injector.

If I hadn't read that one thread out of the hundreds/thousands on this site I wouldn't have figured out the problem and would have had to have it towed to a shop. I love this site!
My injector wiring shorted out also near the plugs. The difference was mine wouldn't start at all.

MSD sells some nice clips for pretty cheap to repair the harness for very little cost. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ms...?part=msd-2400
Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also check your bypass valve diaphram. mine was doing the same. replaced tps and that helped some , but still didnt cure the prob till i found a torn bypass diaphram.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM
buxton
Racer

My injector wires are brittle from heat and age so I am going to repl. the harness and go from there. I will check my TPS hoses too. I do have a new bypass vavle on it so that should be OK. I checked the o-rings and they were good.

Quick Reply: car stumbles/dies on take off