Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Messed up on my MAF install ... how bad did I...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
wtf is with the megaphone - you must be related to the ROCK.
I loled at that, but that megaphone is for an aftermarket alarm put in a weird place
Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ PS - who has a good idea for a replacement horn for the car alarm??? I'd like to find something smaller that I can mount up by the relay box and underneatht the plastic cover.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Man you guys are quick!!!! In the time it took me to type that next post ..... Trust me, it's a temporary location/deal!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

OK ,oil seems to be trailing down from the top of the engine. From underneath I can see oil running down on the exhaust side at the very back of the block which appears to be coming from the head/cam tower area. It's running down along where the bell housing bolts up - engine side is wet with oil (dripping onto the crossover) but bell housing side is dry. Looking down from the top of the exhaust side it looks like there was a small oil explosion (a bit of oil spray between the cam tower and the firewall).

From underneath on the intake side I can see oil coming down from what appears to be the pan, but it could very well be from above that. From the top on the intake side I see oil pooled up where the balance shaft housing sticks out from the block (between the #1 and #2 spark plugs).

I resealed the front of the engine <5k miles ago and everythign looks tight there. Also, if I blew the rear main seal, I'd expect oil to be dripping straight down from there but it's all clean right underneath.

Any ideas? Looks like I'll be taking the intake off pretty quick here to try to get a better look. I'm going to clean up both sides of the block real good to try and make a better determination of where things are leaking too. Oh joy, oh joy.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose the cork seal for the cam tower could have let go. However, when the BS end caps leaked on my car...oil was sprayed pretty far. Oddly enough, my passenger side one didn't leak nearly as bad as the driver side...however, it shot oil allover everything, even above the balance shaft housing. And I know for a fact I didn't have an oil leak anywhere else on the engine (I disassembled the car down to the short block, and found no leaks).

You would be surprised on those BS end caps. I'd just see if the cap wiggle around on them. If it does, slap some high temp RTV on them, and then see if your oil leak persists. It's cheap fix you should do anyways, and will rule them out at the same time.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:27 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

It certainly seems like it could be the upper balance shaft end cap. Can I get my fingers back there to feel without removing the intake?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:49 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

try to take some pictures of where you think it is leaking so I can come back to this thread I have a leak near there.
thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truth be told, I have no idea. I took the intake off to feel mine because I was tearing my car down regardless.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

I'll post some pics ASAP. I'm Mr. Mom this week (3 kids, wife on travel) so I'm not sure if or how much time I'll be able to spend on it this week or weekend - I was really hoping to be driving happily along right now...

Quick Reply: Messed up on my MAF install ... how bad did I...