Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My car is LEAK FREE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My car is LEAK FREE!

I can't believe it. I didn't think it would ever happen, especially on a 951. It's nice to be able to back out of a parking spot and not have to worry about the EPA tapping me on the shoulder. I have finally been able to reinstall all the skid plates and the CPR splitter

Here's my list - I'd like to hear about yours.
  • Multiple power steering leaks - I think. I was never sure because even after I cleaned everything off, it would be covered again by the time I made it around the block. Replaced it with a new OEM manual setup that I bought here from a fellow Rennlister. Happy about the inability to leak, not too happy with the additional effort required with the bigger tires.
  • Coolant leak. Found my low oil sensor wire pinched between the water pump and the block which promptly broke off when I removed the water pump. What was even stranger is that the dash was from an '86 (mine is an '87) and the oil pan doesn't have the provision for the low oil sensor. Replaced the upper/lower radiator hoses along with a few other hoses that looked questionable.
  • Oil pan gasket. Mine was leaking all over the place, including right above the cross-over pipe. Nothing like have the burned oil smell and smoke show for 10 minutes after starting the car any time it sat for more than 2 hours. Mine got a generous coat of Yamabond 4 on both sides of the gasket. The Yamabond stalactites don't bother me as long as it doesn't leak! I replaced the rod bearings while I had it apart, and the ones in the car were in perfect condition and the oil pan didn't have any sludge buildup.
  • Oil filter housing. How this wasn't leaking worse, I'll never know. When I got it apart, I found mine was being held in with 3 out of 4 bolts (upper right bolt was missing). The bolt was later found in the anti-swaybar mount. Yeah, that bracket was more important than the housing, even though the bushing had swelled up and was coming apart.
  • Other various oil leaks - like the hoses from the oil filter housing to the oil cooler. New hoses fixed that issue and now they have all the correct bolts and brackets to hold them up out of the way. A couple of the front seals were weeping too, but nothing too major.

I wonder what the next disaster will be
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I thought you were going to say you took the engine out of the car...

Like they say about old 911s... if it isn't leaking oil - it hasn't got any!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long will that last?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

your RMS will be leaking tonight
Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, saying that is just asking for a leak!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The power steering is the worst. I could never get mine not to leak, even with new parts...what the hell?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha Ha, I bragged about this once......once
Old 06-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDP
The power steering is the worst. I could never get mine not to leak, even with new parts...what the hell?
I ditched that crap ASAP.

Next up is getting rid of the factory headers that get more cracks than a homeless guy in detroit.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:28 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

You just jinxed yourself.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knock on some wood QUICK!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha I was just going to say the same thing!

Better find some serious wood to knock. Man that doesnt sound right.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
You just jinxed yourself.
exactly.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
your RMS will be leaking tonight
LOL - I sure hope not. My very first disaster with this car was 3 days after I bought it - the clutch went out. Replaced the RMS when I did the clutch, but a couple of weeks after doing the clutch, the clutch master cylinder died. I had inspected them and thought they were good, but I was wrong. Replaced the master/slave cylinders and the rubber hose. I was expecting the steel line to split open next.

The next disaster was the interior wiring harness. A dash fire made it crispy. The harness was hacked to **** where it looks like they started to take it out, then put the same one back in. I replaced the entire thing, but unwrapped, inspected, modified and re-wrapped the whole thing before putting it back into the car.

The body was a mess, but it was taken care of at the body shop. There's still rust damage on the front fenders, but hopefully I at least slowed it down until I can either replace them or find suitable composite/carbon fiber replacements.

The engine was the last thing I've tackled. I've been kind of putting it off to see if it continues to run well or if it was going to blow up. If it blew up, it was going to get an LS1 (and it may still).

Now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. My only current unresolved issues is the passenger side mirror is only 50% operational (in and down, but no out and up), getting the 968 rear seat delete/package shelf installed, finishing up the interior, getting the rear window resealed, replacing the front tires (flat spotted from a BFI at a autocross event), painting and installing the 968-style rear wing...

****, it never ends

But at least it's not leaking!

Quick Reply: My car is LEAK FREE!