Notices

Which belts? Rennbay Kevlar Belts or Contitech

 
Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
  #1  
LFA951
Super User
Thread Starter
 
LFA951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFL
Posts: 2,405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which belts? Rennbay Kevlar Belts or Contitech

Looking to get new belts and rollers, anyone have any testimonies on either? Which one is better?
LFA951 is offline  
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
  #2  
CurtP
Super User
 
CurtP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,059
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Rennbay kevlar. I just installed one in my car not too long ago. I wanted newer belt technology and the Gates race belt has been proven on other applications. You can get the front seal kit and rollers from Travis too - good time to do it all while it's apart.
CurtP is offline  
Old 06-10-2009, 11:45 PM
  #3  
LFA951
Super User
Thread Starter
 
LFA951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFL
Posts: 2,405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Rennbay kevlar. I just installed one in my car not too long ago. I wanted newer belt technology and the Gates race belt has been proven on other applications. You can get the front seal kit and rollers from Travis too - good time to do it all while it's apart.
THanks, I'm gonna update my waterpump while I'm at it, got the early 86 unit...
LFA951 is offline  
Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 PM
  #4  
Techno Duck
Super User
 
Techno Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,971
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Was debating this a few nights ago. The kevlar belt which no doubt is superior to the regular rubber belts in every way..makes me wonder if its still worth basically 9x the cost of the Contitech belt. I know the argument here.. the cost of the belt is cheaper than replacing bent valves. But when you think about it, i can afford to replace a Contitech belt every 10k miles and still be cheaper than the kevlar over the typical interval schedule.

I guess what i would be looking for is some written proof these belts will last XX miles longer than the regular rubber to get me off the 'replace belts at 30-35k' interval. But its understandable noone can / is willing to make these claims.

Just something i was thinking about. I have to do my belts in the next month or two.. only 25k miles on them but at the 3 year mark. And i will probably go for the Rennbay kevlar belt.. .

Who is willing to risk grenading there engine for the sake of science to see how long the kevlar belts will go? .
Techno Duck is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 AM
  #5  
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member
 
Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Taco island
Posts: 6,854
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
Was debating this a few nights ago. The kevlar belt which no doubt is superior to the regular rubber belts in every way..makes me wonder if its still worth basically 9x the cost of the Contitech belt. I know the argument here.. the cost of the belt is cheaper than replacing bent valves. But when you think about it, i can afford to replace a Contitech belt every 10k miles and still be cheaper than the kevlar over the typical interval schedule.

I guess what i would be looking for is some written proof these belts will last XX miles longer than the regular rubber to get me off the 'replace belts at 30-35k' interval. But its understandable noone can / is willing to make these claims.

Just something i was thinking about. I have to do my belts in the next month or two.. only 25k miles on them but at the 3 year mark. And i will probably go for the Rennbay kevlar belt.. .

Who is willing to risk grenading there engine for the sake of science to see how long the kevlar belts will go? .
The kevlar belts are a longevity thing, but its also a nicer safety for people who are running higher power engines.

I dont claim to be an engineer by any means, but I've heard of people stripping normal belts really easily. Its also better for people who spent 10+k on an engine that is nowhere near stock.

Yes, stock intervals are 30,000. If your car is stock, then id say yeah (if you do your own work) then replace it ever 10k with a Conti belt. If you dont do your own work, and I was quoted 1500 from the dealer just to change out one belt before, then id get a better, newer solution. Also, if a tensioner fails, its gonna have a field day with a conti belt. The kevlar will hold its own until you realize that somethings not right and fix it.

Its like anything else. It can be debated all day long but there is a very old adage that says "You get what you pay for".
Rock is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 AM
  #6  
carlege
Super User
 
carlege's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 2,530
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rock View Post
"You get what you pay for".
thats just what people who pay too much for something say to make themselves feel better. LOL


I believe the belt will hold together longer but the teeth are unchanged and will strip in the same amount of time because the rubber isnt that different. The updated interveral due to technology advancements is 50k and 4 years. But like the belt on my Nissan is 100k i wonder what is diffferent Surely they couldnt be made of different rubber? Tension?
carlege is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
  #7  
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Travis - sflraver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: A great big building in the woods, FL.
Posts: 6,517
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by carlege View Post

I believe the belt will hold together longer but the teeth are unchanged and will strip in the same amount of time because the rubber isnt that different.
The teeth are one of the improvement points to the belt. Gates uses NHBR polymer technology to increase tooth strength / durability two fold. I think that is in the description somewhere? The teeth don't fall off after 4 years like the Conti belts. Don't worry.

Travis - sflraver is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
  #8  
roman944
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
roman944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I went with the Kevlar belt and I only have an early '83 944, for a peace of mind

thx Travis!
roman944 is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
  #9  
LFA951
Super User
Thread Starter
 
LFA951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFL
Posts: 2,405
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

How are the Kevlar belts 9x more expensive? I will have 30K miles by October/ November this year and I think I'm going to do them within the next month or two, I am definitely going the Rennbay route since I have the early 86 setup without the spring tensioner or updated waterpump.
LFA951 is offline  
Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
  #10  
carlege
Super User
 
carlege's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 2,530
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver View Post
The teeth are one of the improvement points to the belt. Gates uses NHBR polymer technology to increase tooth strength / durability two fold. I think that is in the description somewhere? The teeth don't fall off after 4 years like the Conti belts. Don't worry.

Thanks that answers one of the problems. I still would like a Number on how long they should last Miles and years?
carlege is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: