Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Which belts? Rennbay Kevlar Belts or Contitech (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/506239-which-belts-rennbay-kevlar-belts-or-contitech.html)

LFA951 06-10-2009 06:13 PM

Which belts? Rennbay Kevlar Belts or Contitech

Looking to get new belts and rollers, anyone have any testimonies on either? Which one is better?

CurtP 06-10-2009 11:34 PM

Rennbay kevlar. I just installed one in my car not too long ago. I wanted newer belt technology and the Gates race belt has been proven on other applications. You can get the front seal kit and rollers from Travis too - good time to do it all while it's apart.

LFA951 06-10-2009 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by CurtP (Post 6642142)
Rennbay kevlar. I just installed one in my car not too long ago. I wanted newer belt technology and the Gates race belt has been proven on other applications. You can get the front seal kit and rollers from Travis too - good time to do it all while it's apart.

THanks, I'm gonna update my waterpump while I'm at it, got the early 86 unit...

Techno Duck 06-10-2009 11:51 PM

Was debating this a few nights ago. The kevlar belt which no doubt is superior to the regular rubber belts in every way..makes me wonder if its still worth basically 9x the cost of the Contitech belt. I know the argument here.. the cost of the belt is cheaper than replacing bent valves. But when you think about it, i can afford to replace a Contitech belt every 10k miles and still be cheaper than the kevlar over the typical interval schedule.

I guess what i would be looking for is some written proof these belts will last XX miles longer than the regular rubber to get me off the 'replace belts at 30-35k' interval. But its understandable noone can / is willing to make these claims.

Just something i was thinking about. I have to do my belts in the next month or two.. only 25k miles on them but at the 3 year mark. And i will probably go for the Rennbay kevlar belt.. :D.

Who is willing to risk grenading there engine for the sake of science to see how long the kevlar belts will go? :D.

Rock 06-11-2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Techno Duck (Post 6642196)
Was debating this a few nights ago. The kevlar belt which no doubt is superior to the regular rubber belts in every way..makes me wonder if its still worth basically 9x the cost of the Contitech belt. I know the argument here.. the cost of the belt is cheaper than replacing bent valves. But when you think about it, i can afford to replace a Contitech belt every 10k miles and still be cheaper than the kevlar over the typical interval schedule.

I guess what i would be looking for is some written proof these belts will last XX miles longer than the regular rubber to get me off the 'replace belts at 30-35k' interval. But its understandable noone can / is willing to make these claims.

Just something i was thinking about. I have to do my belts in the next month or two.. only 25k miles on them but at the 3 year mark. And i will probably go for the Rennbay kevlar belt.. :D.

Who is willing to risk grenading there engine for the sake of science to see how long the kevlar belts will go? :D.

The kevlar belts are a longevity thing, but its also a nicer safety for people who are running higher power engines.

I dont claim to be an engineer by any means, but I've heard of people stripping normal belts really easily. Its also better for people who spent 10+k on an engine that is nowhere near stock.

Yes, stock intervals are 30,000. If your car is stock, then id say yeah (if you do your own work) then replace it ever 10k with a Conti belt. If you dont do your own work, and I was quoted 1500 from the dealer just to change out one belt before, then id get a better, newer solution. Also, if a tensioner fails, its gonna have a field day with a conti belt. The kevlar will hold its own until you realize that somethings not right and fix it.

Its like anything else. It can be debated all day long but there is a very old adage that says "You get what you pay for".

carlege 06-11-2009 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rock (Post 6642233)
"You get what you pay for".

thats just what people who pay too much for something say to make themselves feel better. LOL

I believe the belt will hold together longer but the teeth are unchanged and will strip in the same amount of time because the rubber isnt that different. The updated interveral due to technology advancements is 50k and 4 years. But like the belt on my Nissan is 100k i wonder what is diffferent Surely they couldnt be made of different rubber? Tension?

Travis - sflraver 06-11-2009 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by carlege (Post 6642257)

I believe the belt will hold together longer but the teeth are unchanged and will strip in the same amount of time because the rubber isnt that different.

The teeth are one of the improvement points to the belt. Gates uses NHBR polymer technology to increase tooth strength / durability two fold. I think that is in the description somewhere? The teeth don't fall off after 4 years like the Conti belts. Don't worry.

:corn:

roman944 06-11-2009 09:15 AM

I went with the Kevlar belt and I only have an early '83 944, for a peace of mind

thx Travis!

LFA951 06-11-2009 09:25 AM

How are the Kevlar belts 9x more expensive? I will have 30K miles by October/ November this year and I think I'm going to do them within the next month or two, I am definitely going the Rennbay route since I have the early 86 setup without the spring tensioner or updated waterpump. :thumbup:

carlege 06-11-2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver (Post 6642289)
The teeth are one of the improvement points to the belt. Gates uses NHBR polymer technology to increase tooth strength / durability two fold. I think that is in the description somewhere? The teeth don't fall off after 4 years like the Conti belts. Don't worry.

:corn:

Thanks that answers one of the problems. I still would like a Number on how long they should last Miles and years?