Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Innovate LC-1 and G3 Gauge - Cannot get believable readings - Ideas please?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy Innovate LC-1 and G3 Gauge - Cannot get believable readings - Ideas please?

I have just finished finishing the connections for my LC-1 and the G3 gauge. I cannot seem to get reasonable readings from it - at idle the gauge sometimes it shows 8:1 AFR the rest of the time it parks at 18:1. Even when hooked up my PC for logging the numbers seem jump all over the place - without any changes the throttle input.

I am running a Vitesse MAF, so I am pretty sure that the fuel maps are right. The car appears to idle fine and runs great (was on a dyno on Thursday and they did not suggest that anything was wrong).

I have
  1. Recalibrated the sensor for fresh air - sensor outside of the pipe.
  2. Rewired the grounds on their own circuits and grounded them to the two factory ground points in the driver's foot well (blue wire to its own groud, white and gauge ground to the other - as per the instructions)
  3. Confirmed that I have 12V power.
  4. Reviewed Innovate's support and forums to no avail.

Unless the car is running really erratically, which I doubt and assume that I would notice, what have I missed? Any ideas?

Many thanks

Last edited by fbgh2o; 06-06-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 06-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Fergus, did you recalibrate the sensor by removing it completley (and letting it hang free) of the exhaust? Also where do you have the sensor placed?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, he pulled the sensor to recalibrate - it is located post turbo
Old 06-06-2009, 02:54 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I installed mine, I ran IIRC all 3 ground wires seperately and soldered them at differnt pts on a lug and bolted to ground pt on bellhousing. I have solid readings on the Inov software that corresspond to the VR PG. Not a fun place to run wires to though.

Steve
Old 06-08-2009, 02:31 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a brand new sensor? I've had one go bad and display similar behavior -the readings would intermittently increase by a factor of 2 and then return to normal. I always try to keep an extra sensor around for troubleshooting these things.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

+1 eliminate the sensor as a possible failure point.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Is it a brand new sensor?
Yes it is, but the thought continues to cross my mind.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
cjb3
Rennlist Member

I have had the same problem with my LC-1----as a matter of fact I blew an engine with a Megasquirt using it---I was suspect of the LC-1 but didn't take my own advice.

One thing that I found really odd---sometimes the system would rewrite/change the calibration numbers---or delete them---so you might go in to the software and take a look.

I have a new engine in the car and went back to the stock computer---kept the LC-1 and added an EGT---thing is the LC-1 is showing 8 AFR while the EGT's are at 1550 degrees at full boost.

And -- no--I am not pulling the sensor--AGAIN--unless it is to put it in the garbage.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lc-1 was a piece of junk in my experience. I have talked to only a few people who have had an altogether positive experience with the innovate.

Went with the zeitronix and never looked back.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lorax
The lc-1 was a piece of junk in my experience. I have talked to only a few people who have had an altogether positive experience with the innovate.

Went with the zeitronix and never looked back.
I have had both, the Zeitronixs keeps locking up randomly, but the Lc-1 works all the time.

The outputs (to the ECU) from the zeitronics did not match the digital reading - odd.

The Innovate stuff has worked smoothly for me - but as they say - Your Milage May Vary!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
I have had both, the Zeitronixs keeps locking up randomly, but the Lc-1 works all the time.

The outputs (to the ECU) from the zeitronics did not match the digital reading - odd.

The Innovate stuff has worked smoothly for me - but as they say - Your Milage May Vary!
I tried everything to get my lc-1 working right... I eventually replaced it all together and still had issues occasionally.

I am currently working on a few issues that have popped up with my ZT-2, so I can't say it has been perfect either.

I also much prefer the datalogging on the zeitronix, and the ability to do an alarm output signal.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lorax
I tried everything to get my lc-1 working right... I eventually replaced it all together and still had issues occasionally.

I am currently working on a few issues that have popped up with my ZT-2, so I can't say it has been perfect either.

I also much prefer the datalogging on the zeitronix, and the ability to do an alarm output signal.
I usually use them wired into a Tec3/GT so I don't use the datalogging softwear. I do like the recalibration concept on the Lc-1, I have seen the readings of O2 sensors shift over time.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
Is it a brand new sensor? I've had one go bad and display similar behavior -the readings would intermittently increase by a factor of 2 and then return to normal. I always try to keep an extra sensor around for troubleshooting these things.
Theyre actually pretty affordable from NAPA of all places. At least for the ZT2, I think the LC1 uses the same sensor.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LC-1 here - absolutely great!
I have cooked 2 sensors, so I installed a copper 'heat-sink' - no problems since (over 1 year).

-Rogue
Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

That's where I am now...

Opinions all over the place I see, Rennlist at its finest....

I am going to pull the sensor later this week and see if it is getting the right free air voltage... Will update at that time.

Quick Reply: Innovate LC-1 and G3 Gauge - Cannot get believable readings - Ideas please?