944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

X-Post: Official Group Buy: Gear Reduction Starter

Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No harm, no foul, and thanks for the kind words. The other threads also highlight the advantages for our old charging systems (especially those of us with the 2.0L platform), as well as improved heat resistance due to the solenoid design.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Group buy is now CLOSED. I will be contacting IMI in the morning (PST) to get the order process and shipping logistics started.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Jakkq & loftygoals, last call to get your payment in...if I don't receive payment or communication from you by 6 PM EST this evening, we'll need to proceed without you.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

I've received the invoicing from IMI, so payment will be going out shortly. They advised me they had enough parts on hand for 28 units, so I'm optimistic that the starters will be shipped from Cali to MI sometime next week. Stay tuned!

FINAL LIST OF PARTICIPANTS
  • ideola: paid for 1 piece
  • stevekat: paid for 1 piece
  • evil 944t: paid for 1 piece
  • schwank: paid for 1 piece
  • tomcooper: paid for 1 piece (NA)
  • Chris White: paid for 1 piece
  • sj340: paid for 1 piece
  • loftygoals: paid for 1 piece
  • theedge: paid for 1 piece
  • Tim Pruitt: paid for 1 piece
  • Power Tryp: paid for 1 piece
  • onepartsman: paid for 1 piece (NA)
  • isuras2: paid for 1 piece
  • 333pg333: paid for 1 piece
  • blown 944: paid for 1 piece
  • gegge: paid for 1 piece
  • cycle4jesus: paid for 1 piece
  • Fifty50Plus: paid for 1 piece (NA)
  • Scorpio: paid for 1 piece (NA)
  • MikeM: paid for 1 piece
  • peterld: paid for 1 piece
  • Travis: paid for 1 piece
  • Cole: paid for 1 piece
  • 75ohm: paid for 1 piece
  • black951: paid for 1 piece
PAID = 25

THREADS: 924Board || Rennlist 944 || Rennlist 951
Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

There is an outside chance the starters will be delivered to me by end of this week. Regardless, if all goes according to plan, I hope to begin shipping next week.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Hmmmm..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Stock starter on a 931...

IMI-155 Gear Reduction starter installed on a 944

The good news is that the IMI unit bolts up perfectly, and you can see there is TONS more clearance on the exhaust side, so those of you who were asking about clearance with larger exhaust pipes, I don't believe you will have any issues whatsoever.

The clearance between the end of the motor on the IMI unit and the side of the torque tunnel where it begins narrowing is very very close...probably about as close as the clearance between the clutch slave cylinder and the narrowing portion of the torque tunnel, not more than a mm or two. If you have worn motor mounts or excess engine vibration, you may want to consider re-indexing the motor by one position. In the following photo, you can see the four additional indexing mount points on the flange, which allow you to rotate the starter by a few degrees. Simply remove the two 4mm allen head screws, rotate the flange, and reinsert the allen head screws. In so doing, you will have plenty of clearance with the chassis wall, but the ear on the end of the starter may be a bit lower. However, it does not appear to me that it will create a ground clearance issue, as the exhaust pipe is even lower in that vicinity. I'll leave it to each individual to determine the best setup for their car. I have confirmed with IMI that reindexing the flange does NOT void the warranty, so you should feel free to do so if it makes you happy.

For the 924 NA guys with the CW motors, I don't have a way to test fitment. Hopefully, it will bolt right up, but if there are any clearance issues, you should be able to address it by reindexing as described above.

I am going to the post office shortly. I need to pick up 24 medium flat rate boxes. I will be working on this over the weekend, so look for the tracking number notifications from paypal, and expect your starters to go out via USPS early next week.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Shipping Update
OK, boys, all the starters are boxed up, labeled, and ready to go out. These are all going USPS Priority Mail, so 2-3 day service in the US, and 6-10 day service for international recipients. I will be dropping everything off tomorrow afternoon at the Post Office on my way home from work. Hopefully, PayPal is functioning correctly and you're all getting your email notifications with tracking numbers...but the packages should arrive before they'll even be trackable :P

Installation Notes
One minor note for installation: the small terminal is not a post as in the stock configuration, it is a male spade terminal, so you will need to modify your small wire on your stock harness to change the ring terminal to a female spade terminal. Also, when installing, you may want to attach the wiring harness first, as the terminals will be up top and more difficult to reach once the starter is bolted in place. Otherwise, on my 931 and 944, the starter bolted up with the stock bolts no problems.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Video courtesy of 75ohm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckbpy...layer_embedded

8) 8) 8)
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Back by popular demand: for anyone who missed out on the first group buy, here is your opportunity! I've received a number of inquiries so I've put up a feeler thread to see if we have enough interest to organize a second round group buy. I'll track round two separately, here's the thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...round-2-a.html
Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Cross posting here, did anyone installing on a 3.0 liter had an issue with clearance?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post11599199

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X-Post: Official Group Buy: Gear Reduction Starter