Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

EDIT with new pictures. WTH is this bolt? Total coolant loss, need some tips.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DOH!!!!!

Okay. So I got the first leak fixed and found the second one I could not figure out before.

There is a 17mm nut on a stud coming out of the block behind the power steering pump. The leak appears to come totally from this nut. Dry above and behind it. I tried tightening it and it would not budge.

What the hell is it? How much am I going to hate this?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cole
Thanks.

Can you guys give me some shopping tips?

Here is what I have found so far:

-Rennbay (new water pump $295), would have to order all hoses individually
-Pelican Parts , (rebuilt WP $123.85 +$100 core), individual hoses.
-944online, Only place with a hose kit $159.95 for all the cooling hoses, WP rebuilt $119.95 + $125 core.
-Ebay. Rebuilt WP $145 no core.

Anywhere else to look? Looks like 944O has what I need at the best price.

Thoughts?
Paragon also has full kits, but not a complete set of clamps, those have to come from Ian's (944 online)

http://www.paragon-products.com/pors...stem_s/127.htm

price depndant on year, turbo vs N/A and they DO not have 100% of the turbo hoses (no-one does, there is 1 hose that is heading twords NLA status I believe)

Paragon has the least expensive hose kits, 944online (Ian's) has the clamp kits, and both Paragon and Pelican have the correct coolant (it is safer and beter, but more expensive, Pelican is a little cheaper I believe based on replacing all of it in April on my 951)

If you do go with the Porsche coolant, make sure you thoroghly flush all the old coolant out of your car before puting in your Coolant... 1 galon + 1 gallon of DISTILLED water is just over teh amount needed for a N/A, teh Turbo cars take a little more than 1 gallon of water if they are fully dry when being filled...
Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
DOH!!!!!

Okay. So I got the first leak fixed and found the second one I could not figure out before.

There is a 17mm nut on a stud coming out of the block behind the power steering pump. The leak appears to come totally from this nut. Dry above and behind it. I tried tightening it and it would not budge.

What the hell is it? How much am I going to hate this?

Oil cooler reseal, I have 2 kits on hand if you need 1, make me an offer and I might send 1 your way ... PM me if interested... also if you do buy the hoses and stuff, buy the cooler alignment tool as well, or you will have issues getting your oil pressure right... at least it isn't milkshake (oil and water mixing is teh usual failure mode of these seals, causing milkshake to show up in the oil or teh coolant reservoir...)
Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
xupkid2
Pro

I believe that is your oil pressure relief valve if your talking about the 17mm one below the oil pressure sending unit in your pic
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Yes. Straight coolant and seems to come from that nut below the wired unit
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way coolant can be coming out of that nut(OPRV) or the pressure sender above it and not be mixing with the oil. Your leak is coming from somewhere else. Possibly there is a crack in the housing or it is leaking from the gasket then running down to that spot. There are many places for leaks to hide on these cars.

I would suggest a full oil cooler housing reseal and update to the newer OPRV or at leak change the O-rings in yours while it's out(the reseal kits DO NOT come with OPRV o-rings so buy the correct one seperate). I have resealed 5 of these in the past 6 months so it's a fairly common problem spot. It's not very difficult to do. Just very messy and takes some time. Be sure to change the oil after.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eniac
There is no way coolant can be coming out of that nut(OPRV) or the pressure sender above it and not be mixing with the oil.
What if the OP changed all his oil out with coolant? Go ahead and laugh, My wifes ex-boyfriend heard she was with a mechanic, and came asking questions... turned out not only was he not a mechanic, he also didn't know how to read...

He put:
Antifreeze in Oil
Oil in PS reservoir
ATF in radiator
windshield washer fluid in transmission....

She stood there, listening to his van die, laughing at him.... I was asking him if he even looked at the caps before he decided to just pour whatever into whatever opening... his reply?

"I had all the caps off and forgot which was which"
Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Water leaks can be sneaky -- they will travel in little nooks and crannies until you could swear the leak is coming out of a sway bar. Given the location, I'd check the hose going to the front of the pipe that runs along the top of the headers.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Also check the underside of the large hose on the WP, a small hole there will allow the water to run out, it runs along the bottom of the WP, and CAN look like it is on the oil cooler when it is actualy crossover from the WP depending on any angles where you park...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Cole
Drifting

I've checked all those hoses in detail before posting the pictures. Been all over the car with a flashlight and dental mirror checking for the leak while using a pressure tester.

It dumps 2 gallons out in 15min!! All seems to stream from under this bolt!!?? I fear a crack in some thing I can't get the little mirror back in to see.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Might be worth changing the oil to make sure there is not water in it. Also, have you checked to make sure the oil thermostat housing is bolted tight to the block and that the gasket has not blown out for some reason. You can see the parts in this link: http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm

Quick Reply: EDIT with new pictures. WTH is this bolt? Total coolant loss, need some tips.