Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint question

Right now I have my car in the shop to get some paint work done. I'm getting the front end painted and blended onto the doors. Car is alpine white.

It wouldn't be too much work to paint the whole car while it's in there.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Well if it's not too much more work and money I'd have the whole car resprayed in alpine white just so everything matches 100%. I also want to do the same thing to my car as you can tell where it's been repainted before.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't seen Pearl and Alpine white side by side to be able to make a determination on color, but now would be a good time to have your entire car painted - provided that you're taking the time to take the trim, seals and such off first.

If you keep it the same color, then you probably won't have to jamb it, provided the paint is in good condition. If the color is considerably different, then you'll need to jamb it, and the best way, IMO, is to have the doors and hatch removed.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Whole car pearl. Thats what im hoping to do this winter.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it won't actually be much more work then I vote for painting the whole car in the original color. ONLY IF they can match the door jamb color sooo well that you could NEVER tell. (or if the interior is fairly dissassembled and they'll paint the jambs and inside edges of the doors)
But.. how do you define not much more? Removing and installing the bumper pads, taillights, stone gaurds, decals, emblem, and quarter windows, etc. Plus sanding and prepping the whole back end...
I don't think a color change is ever good unless everything is removed from the car. Just IMHO
Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alpine white is cool and all, but pearl is like nothing else. Speaking from experience.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I think there's nothing quite like original paint if it's in good condition. Paint if you must, but 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' is my motto.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM
supes6
Racer

It actually is a lot more work to paint the whole car, more than most people realize. Not saying that you shouldn't do an entire respray, but don't expect the price to be just a "little more."
Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

To me pearl white only looks good on big cars IE esalade, jaguar etc
Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supes6
It actually is a lot more work to paint the whole car, more than most people realize. Not saying that you shouldn't do an entire respray, but don't expect the price to be just a "little more."
Yes I know. I used to work at this body shop. It's a lot more work. I would have to remove the hatch and of course get the car jambed. Have to pull the windshield seal, 1/4 windows/ tail lights, take the sticker off the back, weld up the holes in the 1/4 panels and fill the side marker holes back there. If I was painting the back of course I would want to get a euro bumper.

It also means a lot more time to completion.

I went in and after taking a good look at the paint (which is in excellent condition save the parts I'm repainting) I decided to keep it. I love pearl but to do the whole car even doing all my own prep would cost over 2500 easily.

I'll save that cash for dyno time.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
I went in and after taking a good look at the paint (which is in excellent condition save the parts I'm repainting) I decided to keep it.
Again, I think you made a wise decision. Original paint is, well, original paint. If it's in good shape, there is nothing quite like it. Congrats and I hope it turns out nicely for you.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Again, I think you made a wise decision. Original paint is, well, original paint. If it's in good shape, there is nothing quite like it. Congrats and I hope it turns out nicely for you.
It will. I know the shop will do an excellent job.

Factory paint on these cars is great... I m not sure about this but from my experience it seems all 944's were hand painted. I have seen a couple factory paint runs and other imperfections looking closely over the years. I actually prefer a car to have minor imperfections... knowing that human hands put time and care into the car is a good feeling. Gives it more soul IMO.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You will have a lot of blending to do, new Alpine White is almost a different colour, it goes very yellow out here in the sun.
Attached Images   
Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Car looks great in those pics Rod. Enkeis look schmick. I must remember to get rid of my door protectors.

I vote for original colour if you can get away with it. Somehow new paint always looks...well...new and not factory. Then again maybe there are those great paintjobs that look factory and don't look out of place?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
It will. I know the shop will do an excellent job.

Factory paint on these cars is great... I m not sure about this but from my experience it seems all 944's were hand painted. I have seen a couple factory paint runs and other imperfections looking closely over the years. I actually prefer a car to have minor imperfections... knowing that human hands put time and care into the car is a good feeling. Gives it more soul IMO.
Rennlist lore has it that the cars were indeed hand painted, and that the operator actually signed the car behind one of the rear taillights. I've never verified this, though.

Quick Reply: Paint question