Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New to me Rims and New rubber.. WARNING HIGH RES

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me Rims and New rubber.. WARNING HIGH RES

Well, I got up this morning on a mission, to see how much money and time I can needlessly spend on my car today... Mission Accomplished... With NO SPACERS BABY
As of this morning, 0900

Und Nao... Silver outer with high gloss black inside... I painted them myself, in my very own back yard (no garage)

Front

Rear

I know, not the most popular rim out there, nor the lightest, nor the most popular rubber, not even the size, but me likey, and I have managed to make my annoying little under steer go away...

Now All I need to finish up is the stone guard removal... I hate gaugeing the paint up like that...
AND clear lenses all around, CPR is bringing them to me once he gets back into town this coming week...

I'm trying to see how long it will take before I have it in for a full respray... Knowing me, I'll take it in next week...but I keep telling myself, pay your taxes and the hospital before spending any more money on the car... like the money I just spent for a replacement clock...
Old 05-16-2009, 01:54 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah, I'm also waiting for my NEW alloy lug nuts... so don't pay the old ratty ones any mind...
Old 05-16-2009, 02:06 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a bumper sticker.....
Old 05-16-2009, 02:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
a bumper sticker.....
It's a magnet, goes with me no matter which car I'm driving... Gets plenty of attention from Police.... makes them focus on their computer more than their speedometer...
Old 05-16-2009, 07:16 PM
purple_rado
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sticker, magnet...it needs to be removed. the wheels were a nice upgrade for it
Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

agreed on the sticker. The wheels look great.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:58 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You have a serious wax buildup issue around your turbo emblem.

I'd bet money your twists are lighter than mine
Old 05-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Oh yeah, I'm also waiting for my NEW alloy lug nuts... so don't pay the old ratty ones any mind...
My first thought...

Otherwise, looks great! I would have never thought of painting the inside of the rims black!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CurtP
You have a serious wax buildup issue around your turbo emblem.

I'd bet money your twists are lighter than mine
Actually that is residual oxidation... This car was a suggar cookie when I got her home, more pink than white... OK maybe there is a crap load of wax in there too, she needs a bath badly...

I'm considering pulling off the emblem, polishing the body under it, and installing a new emblem... much easier than hand rubbing till the cows come home

I did notice (not on a scale, just by feel) the new rims even with tires are WAY lighter than the old ones... guy at the tire shop looked at me like I was HeMan when I carried them in two by two, until he picked one up...
Old 05-17-2009, 12:29 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by purple_rado
sticker, magnet...it needs to be removed. the wheels were a nice upgrade for it
I actualy thought about clowning these at one point, when you got yours on and pics up... but decided silver is what they needed... the orange would have been too much work to polish to make it look good...

My wife has a matching magnet, only hers is "I fake it so he will buy me nice stuff" OK..Magnet to be relegated to the Audi... Although I am pretty sure the Mutang I trounced on my way home tonight though it was funny as I walked away from him..
Old 05-17-2009, 08:13 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I'm considering pulling off the emblem, polishing the body under it, and installing a new emblem... much easier than hand rubbing till the cows come home.

I did notice (not on a scale, just by feel) the new rims even with tires are WAY lighter than the old ones... guy at the tire shop looked at me like I was HeMan when I carried them in two by two, until he picked one up...
I'd pull the emblem and polish the area, then either reapply your old emblem with new double-sided tape or replace it - the rest of the car looks great in the pictures!. Just be aware that the new turbo emblems are flat - looks like the edges on yours are rounded. The '86 and '87 had flat emblems on them so I don't know if they were both changed at one point or if yours isn't original. I just thought yours looked kind of unique. The downside is that I couldn't remove mine in one piece - I wanted it for the toolbox sticker/emblem collection

My rims are Mille Miglia knock-offs. I love the look of them, but don't like the weight. I'm looking for a set of 17" late offset OEM rims. I just haven't found the right deal yet.

I was fortunate - my '87 didn't have the stone guards and I have no intention on installing a set. What I would like is a set of black magnetic ones so they can be installed for autocross/road trips, but removed and washed/polished under them.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CurtP
I'd pull the emblem and polish the area, then either reapply your old emblem with new double-sided tape or replace it - the rest of the car looks great in the pictures!. Just be aware that the new turbo emblems are flat - looks like the edges on yours are rounded. The '86 and '87 had flat emblems on them so I don't know if they were both changed at one point or if yours isn't original. I just thought yours looked kind of unique. The downside is that I couldn't remove mine in one piece - I wanted it for the toolbox sticker/emblem collection

My rims are Mille Miglia knock-offs. I love the look of them, but don't like the weight. I'm looking for a set of 17" late offset OEM rims. I just haven't found the right deal yet.

I was fortunate - my '87 didn't have the stone guards and I have no intention on installing a set. What I would like is a set of black magnetic ones so they can be installed for autocross/road trips, but removed and washed/polished under them.
Good info on the emblem, Might try to salvage it after all... but I will remove it to polish around under it... Maybe get my paws on a sheet of 3M double sided tape, it is nice and thin but strong as hell, and weather resistant...

These wheels came up on CL about 6 months ago in DC, I drove the two and a half hours the next day to scoop them up for $350..couldn't beat the deal for real ones... not to mention a NEW set of these center caps is like $280 or some insane amount like that... made buying these all the better...

I'll see what I can work up for magnetic stone guards, should be some interest and market for them as I know there are several NICE cars being DE/Auto-X/weekend racing a sunny day street car... Magnetic sounds interesting.. like my "bumper sticker" only plain black... maybe static sheet would work better but offer that same effect only much thinner... hmmm now you gots me thinking...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:46 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Here's what the new emblems look like. Both of my cars had these type on them when I got them.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

It does look different than the one on my car... wonder why, I MIGHT give this a shot tomorrow depending on weather...

Thanks for the info again... BTW I picked up some magnetic sheet today, and am working on sourcing some static cling and sticky back plastic... stone guards are in the works...
Old 05-17-2009, 10:23 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I should have everything needed this week to fab up some track placeable, removeable stone guards... clear for the static/sticky backed and WHITE for the magnetic (it was all I could get today, but will work on getting some black...

Quick Reply: New to me Rims and New rubber.. WARNING HIGH RES