944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car dies after new turbo install, vacuum and battery cables. ***FIXED***

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009 | 12:19 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Default Car dies after new turbo install, vacuum and battery cables. ***FIXED***

Hi,

Finally finished installing my used turbo kit tonight. The car starts right up but when I attempt to give it gas it immediately dies (just touching the pedal kills the engine immediately). I am using vitesse maf (tried unplugging and car dies immediately), smt-6, vitesse stage 2 turbo, 55 lbs. injectors, 1 ohm 50 watt resistors (tried with and without; no difference), 86 DME and 89 KLR. The car idles just fine for about 10 seconds but then starts to go really rough and eventually dies by 30 seconds. I'm looking for some general ideas on where to start troubleshooting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Nick

Last edited by StyleLab; 05-15-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-09-2009 | 12:25 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

check and make sure your MAF is getting 12v also try rotaing the MAF in different orientations.
Old 05-09-2009 | 01:02 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

it did not fit right side up (interference with intercooler pipe) so I put it on its side. Thanks for the advice, I was not aware orientation mattered.

-Nick
Old 05-09-2009 | 08:58 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nick, what others said already. Also make sure the MAF is installed correctly. The MAF plug points toward the engine.
Since you purchased a used kit older kit, did you get the documents with it from the previous owner?
Old 05-09-2009 | 05:01 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

ok clocking the maf between 10 and 11 o'clock makes the car idle perfect but any movement in the TPS kills the engine. 12 v is connected properly.

Yes I have all the documentation, I'll go over it once more. Shorting plug works etc.

Old 05-11-2009 | 02:33 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

-tried unplugging the tps and the car runs worse
-maf voltage with car running at idle,
red wire: 11.5
blue wire: 0.80
orange/pink: 3.70
Old 05-11-2009 | 10:25 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Check the voltage at pin 7 of the DME -- should be somewhere in the .5 to 1vdc range at idle and just slightly more when you crack the throttle. Have you looked for big vacuum leaks? Did you mix up the oil vent hose with the ISV hose? Have you tried data logging it with the SMT6 to see what that may show?
Old 05-11-2009 | 11:00 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the shorting plug in place, the voltage at the DME #7 should match the Blue wire (in the picture above). Check this at idle only. Also check this voltage at the blue wire when you blip the throttle...

From the looks of it, it appears that you have a VERY old kit. Did the seller provide you with the required map for the piggyback?

For testing only:
- connect the red power wire to the battery, best to use a in line fuse 7.5amps should do it.
- Blow through the MAF, does the voltage change on the Blue wire?
Old 05-13-2009 | 03:14 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

-The voltage in the blue wire matches DME #7. When I blip the throttle, the mixture on my wideband goes lean and the car dies. It stays at about 14.6 for the first 5 seconds and then settles to 16.8.

-Vacuum shows -14 on my ebc but after a couple of seconds it begins to rises towards atmospheric pressure and the afr's lean out and the car dies.

-With the ingnition on, if I blow into the MAF, the voltage on the blue wire changes from 0.03v to over 2v.

-I also tried connecting the maf power lead straight to the battery with a fuse and there are no changes.

-On the first cold start, I was able to get the car to give some gas but never again afterwards. Its like I can't get the DME to add more fuel.

-Also tried swapping FPR with another.

-As for vacuum, I am using the following diagram with the following changes; my catch can vents to atmosphere, my brake booster connect directly to the intake manifold and the check valve is routed into a T with the vac supply and vac reservoir :

I think I'm going to go back to my 89' DME and test a friend's maf out. If it works I'll get the new vitesse software and perhaps a newer maf and sell my existing one to offset cost. Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

-Nick

Originally Posted by fast951
With the shorting plug in place, the voltage at the DME #7 should match the Blue wire (in the picture above). Check this at idle only. Also check this voltage at the blue wire when you blip the throttle...

From the looks of it, it appears that you have a VERY old kit. Did the seller provide you with the required map for the piggyback?

For testing only:
- connect the red power wire to the battery, best to use a in line fuse 7.5amps should do it.
- Blow through the MAF, does the voltage change on the Blue wire?
Old 05-15-2009 | 04:52 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

1) tested the car with a different maf and different chips in the 86' DME. The car runs but afr is all over the place.

2) the car runs with the vitesse maf and the different chips in the 86' DME so I'm guessing my car won't accept the 24 pin vitesse chips and 86' DME.

I'm going to go back to the 89' DME and pick up the chipboard from Vitesse. Moral of the story: I could have bought a new kit for the price of the used kit plus getting the turbo checked plus screwing around with tests for 2 weeks plus having to buy the newer software anyways. Thanks for the replies.

-Nick

Quick Reply: Car dies after new turbo install, vacuum and battery cables. ***FIXED***