Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Downpipe stud replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 PM
supes6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is running again

Just finished the reassemply.. vented the coolant and took it for a test drive. Spool up seems to be much quicker but I'm only getting about 10" hg vacuum on warm idle where before I had around 17. I also have a tiny fuel leak at the supply line to damper compression fitting.. the crimped end gets wet on one side but won't drip. Oh and I almost forgot, I dropped a screw down the cat pipe! What a hellish experience.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

FIx the gas lines before driving the car again! Many many people have had their 944 turbo motors catch fire because of that exact reason. The fuel line sits directly above the headers and get very hot. Porsche had a recall at one point, which they may still honor given the danger involved. Either way, don't drive the car until it is fixed.

Remember, it is gas vapor that burns, not liquid, so no need to see drips to have a critical risk on your hands.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 AM
supes6
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
FIx the gas lines before driving the car again! Many many people have had their 944 turbo motors catch fire because of that exact reason. The fuel line sits directly above the headers and get very hot. Porsche had a recall at one point, which they may still honor given the danger involved. Either way, don't drive the car until it is fixed.

Remember, it is gas vapor that burns, not liquid, so no need to see drips to have a critical risk on your hands.
Don't worry.. I watched the line for about 15 minutes to make sure it wasn't dripping and then just took it around the block to be safe. I've got some new lines coming soon and the car is parked until I swap them out.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Way of life with a 944. I spent a month replacing the entire electrical bundle and wiring it to my liking from a suprise electrical fire (everything had to come out of the car). Started it up, ran perfectly for 2 minutes and blew the headgasket. Itll always be something else. lol

Quick Reply: Downpipe stud replacement