Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ever have any issues trying to tint your windows?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 PM
SoulFunkdUp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever have any issues trying to tint your windows?

I've been going to the same window tinting shop for the last 15 yrs. Today I called my buddie at the shop and asked what the cost would be to tint the windows. He told me that he would probably have to take out all the windows to do it. He basically said he wont do it because of how much of a hassle it is.

Anyone else run into this before?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:28 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

the rear window is a complete pain in the *** and many people will quote you like $200 for the rear hatch itself. The rear small windows are a pain because of space, but it isn't much different from other windows and the fronts are same as any other.
It took me a while to find someone to get a good deal on my tinting.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
SoulFunkdUp
Advanced

What would a good deal look like? The rear has real crappy tint job on it right now and it needs to go. I hope I can talk him into doing it cause he does killer work and if he spots an imperfection some time later, he'll do it over at no cost to me. Its hard to find anyone with that type of pride in their work.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed.

Sides are not much problem, but the rear hatch will run you between 200-300usd. I paid around $275, but that was for a zero blemish job. I maybe could have gotten it cheaper, but this guy is really, really good and it is a PITA.

A few extra for a job well done? Absolutely.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I went to place last year and got their $289 package (Canadian) and they told me afterwards it took them close to 6 hours to do it because of the rear window (and that next time it would cost a whole lot more).
Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 PM
SoulFunkdUp
Advanced

Maybe I can offer to pay top dollar to get him to reconsider. Its either that or settle for a POS job, which I think we all know is not an option.

The pains that come with what would normally be a simple task....seems to be the 951 way.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I went to place last year and got their $289 package (Canadian) and they told me afterwards it took them close to 6 hours to do it because of the rear window (and that next time it would cost a whole lot more).
6 hours? You believe them? I paid $150 for my mine 3 years ago, it was a mobile tint unit and it took him about an hour and a half to do all the windows and the strip on the front.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not have them remove the rear hatch for the tinting? It would be MUCH easier to do that way...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 PM
mzman
Instructor

I got all of mine including a strip at the top for $75 with 5% limo tint on the hatch and back glass, with 15% on doors and windshield strip. I did get a discount because my detail shop sends a lot of business to the tint shop. But still its perfect with zero bubbles 2 years later and if a bubble does come up it gets fixed for free. So ya, if happen to live near Chattanooga, TN PM me and I can get you setup.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I had my 924 tinted, the guy did a great job but talked about how hard the rear glass. Then when I took my 944 to him, he balked a bit but ended up increasing the price and did an outstanding job. But after listening to him gripe, I bet he wont do another
Old 04-16-2009, 11:41 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
6 hours? You believe them? I paid $150 for my mine 3 years ago, it was a mobile tint unit and it took him about an hour and a half to do all the windows and the strip on the front.
Well I do.

The guy that did mine took every bit of 4.5-5 hours and he is a mobile shop (Van).

There are different ways from what I understand....cutting along the defroster lines, doing a 3-piece, etc...

I would also guess that tinting, especially in States like yours (Florida, with no restrictions), is a much more prevelant business, thus more accessible skilled installers. Obviously this would help control the price and via repitition increase turnover.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my hatch done last week, $190 and its going back tomorrow to fix lines. It took three pieces and vinyl last around the edges.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

For a shop that does the tint correctly, it will take 2-3 hours on a normal car, and 6 or more on a car with a hatch like ours.

The correct way of tinting the windows in the front requires cutting the tint larger than the front windows, using a heat gun, and a grinder to create an invisible "end" to the tint at the top of the windows. A shop that does this, will take much longer that the "$99 tint shops."

The material used also plays into the price. FormulaOne tint is one of the best, with Llumar right there with them.

I haven't had my Porsche done yet, but it will be done in the near future. I would expect a price of $400 or so for the car. Keep in mind, all the ones with tint darker than the legal limit, that does void all bubble/pealing/fading problems with most shops. Some shops will hook you up, but the manufacturers (of the tint you chose) will not back the product if it's too dark for your state. The manufactures don't warranty that for the obvious reason that they'd be supporting people installing illegal tint on their cars.

-Matt
Old 04-17-2009, 08:37 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes I do. The place was recommended by several professional mechanics and several Porsche owners. Frankly, I do not care how long it took them. The price was fixed, the tint was high quality film. So I feel that I got decent value for my money. I am glad you were able to do it for a lot less, but no need for the derision.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM
ninefiftyone
Advanced

What matthew951 said is correct. I owned a tint shop for 7 years in the 90's. Cost of quality film and material would be about $50 for a 944. Add some labor, shop cost, and inflation to this and see what you come up with. I would guess $300 for a quality job is a reasonable price. The hatch is a pain. The borders suck and it has a compound curve.

Quick Reply: Ever have any issues trying to tint your windows?