Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Guide to pulling my motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Over Boost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide to pulling my motor?

Im pulling my motor and didnt know if there was an online guide. Im sure i can figure it out on my own but it would be nice to avoid as many headaches as possible. Im want to pull the motor up and out rather than down and out, just fyi.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

If your going out the top, be careful not to break the windshield when removing/installing the hood. Clarks-garage.com has complete instructions on how to yank it out, and if you have any questions just search on here and you'll most likely find the answer.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Over Boost
Instructor

I only see how to drop the motor out from underneath not out the top. Am i much better off just doing it that way?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

In my opinion, its a lot easier but people have done it both ways
Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say use clarks garage as a guide. I found it easier to go come out to top since it doesnt require you to mess with the crossmember, suspension and such. If you have any questions feel free to PM me as I have done it quite a few times now. I also have pics which may help. 2 suggestions, use lots of labels so you know what connects to what and take lots of pics as you go so you have a reference in case you can't remember how something originally connected or was routed. I found it invaluable.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going out the bottom is the way to go - leave the suspension attached. I have done both and cursed myself the whole time I was pulling it out the top - was too stubborn to give up and go ot the bottom, but took a lot longer and way more of a PITA.

Here is a quick write-up:
http://951forums.com/forums/index.php?topic=805.0

And some pics. I had a lift during this pull, but have done it on jackstands and it went fine. Thick cardboard works well to drop it on and then slid it out.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Skip,

Did you design those standoff's you have between your lift and the car body?

Looks like they slide nicely into the jacking points. The last time I had some tire work done they used a similar lift and it was putting pressure on my rubber side mouldings.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:55 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

+1 on dropping the engine out the bottom. Trust me, you'll be a lot happier, especially when you go to put it back in.

Regards,
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out the bottom/in the bottom is 1000 times easier than the top. Ive done it both ways. This is my system.

Get a good hoist and a length of chain. Youll also need a big bath mat (needs to be fluffy) that you can ruin, and several large sheets of thin but VERY slippery wood. The peg hole board worked for me, as long as its very slick and smooth on one side. Lastly, some 2" plastic pipe, and jack stands with that dip in them for unibody cars.

Cut the ABS pipe into two short sections, and stick them over your TBar housings like this in the picture. Now what you can do is lower the engine down onto the bathmat, which is sitting the slippery board. Then using the hoist and chain, you can connect the chain to the two big black tie down points on the front ends of the frame rails. Youll have to shorten the legs of your hoist before you do this. The front of the car is very light without the engine, so this is safe. Now you can lift the front of the car quite high when the back is able to rotate on the ABS pipe sitting on the jackstands, I wouldnt try this without doing the ABS pipe trick. With the front of the car up, you can now slide the engine out from underneath very easily, since it slides on the wood and bathmat.

Quick Reply: Guide to pulling my motor?