Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Has anyone ever separated the two halves of a Brembo caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009 | 08:35 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Question Has anyone ever separated the two halves of a Brembo caliper?

There seems to be very little info about this anywhere on the web so I figured I would ask. Has anyone ever separated the two halves of one of their stock Brembo calipers? I guess the factory manual says not to, but I am curious as to why not. I am trying to get all the info I need in order to rebuild my calipers, but I would like to have the 4 large bolts that hold the halves together re-plated as well as repaint the bodies themselves. So I am just wondering if separating the halves is like opening Pandora's box, or is there really no big deal about it.
Old 03-28-2009 | 08:42 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

The heat cycles that the caliper goes through while bolted together, if you take them apart it's very likely that you will not be able to put them back together perfect - that's the info I have and he works for Performance Friction.
Old 03-28-2009 | 09:00 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Splitting the caliper halves is simple.
Re-sealing the caliper halves is impossible.
Don't ask how we all know this, OK?

Ummm....why would you want to split the caliper? A full rebuild can be done with the calipers in one piece.
Old 03-28-2009 | 09:21 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Ummm....why would you want to split the caliper? A full rebuild can be done with the calipers in one piece.
Like I mentioned, I was hoping to have the 4 large bolts that hold the halves together re-plated because I wanted to restore them cosmetically as well.
Old 03-28-2009 | 10:27 PM
cwigg66
Addict
Rennlist Member

Been there done that... I split my 928 "Big Blacks?" to clean them up.... the four large bolts take massive amount of torque to work loose, but it can be done. The problem I had was the smaller bolts holding the heat shields/pad guides to the calipers. Mild steel screws in aluminum calipers + 15 years = seized screws, and I ended up drilling them out.

Additionally, you may want to price the rebuild parts before you do this, as the seals are expensive (at least for the big blacks). If you do get them apart and they don't go back together perfectly, you can always have them lightly machined by a good shop, but mine match up just fine. FYI, I high-heat powder coated mine.

Chris W.
Old 03-29-2009 | 12:35 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cwigg66
Been there done that... I split my 928 "Big Blacks?" to clean them up.... the four large bolts take massive amount of torque to work loose, but it can be done. The problem I had was the smaller bolts holding the heat shields/pad guides to the calipers. Mild steel screws in aluminum calipers + 15 years = seized screws, and I ended up drilling them out.

Additionally, you may want to price the rebuild parts before you do this, as the seals are expensive (at least for the big blacks). If you do get them apart and they don't go back together perfectly, you can always have them lightly machined by a good shop, but mine match up just fine. FYI, I high-heat powder coated mine.

Chris W.
Thanks for the info! What does the inner halves look like once you split them? Is there anything in there or is it just smooth machined surfaces that mate together?
Old 03-30-2009 | 09:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Don't split them.
Old 03-30-2009 | 11:13 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

dont do it
Old 03-30-2009 | 01:02 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

If youre that gung ho... Perhaps you could take two bolts out of each, get those plated... Then put them back in and torque those ones in, then take the other two out of each and get those plated. Two trips but that would work I would think.
Old 03-31-2009 | 12:27 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Colin- I tried the same once and broke off the first bolt I tried getting out. - pre rennlist days- don't do it. It was a dissaster. I still have a full set of big blacks collecting dust still on the 968 parts car....
Good luck either way. A thought- as hard as it is to seperate these things why not just take the bolts loose 1 by one and refinish the caliper then change the bolts... break them then lightly tighten for refinishing, then replace-

just a thought, Mike
Old 03-31-2009 | 01:59 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Never cross the streams....oh wait -don't separate the calipers
Unless you are wanting a learning experience and are going to document it with pictures for us.

Old 03-31-2009 | 05:16 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

If I can find a dead 951 caliper to use as a test subject I will gladly give it a try and document the process. I would need to find out what the torque specs were for reassembling everything.

For everyone that is advising not to do it, don't worry I am not nuts. But like I said if I can find a cheap 951 caliper to try some tests on then I will gladly give it a shot just so everyone knows whats inside Pandora's box.
Old 03-31-2009 | 11:32 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Originally Posted by cwigg66
The problem I had was the smaller bolts holding the heat shields/pad guides to the calipers. Mild steel screws in aluminum calipers + 15 years = seized screws, and I ended up drilling them out.Chris W.

Potent, since you asked for torque specs, I don't feel bad for chiming in on your thread.

Chris,
I have the same problem on my right rear caliper and I am looking at drilling out the screws too. What torque did you put them in at and did you use any high temp loctite?

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever separated the two halves of a Brembo caliper?