Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Repaint Underway

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaint Underway

My mom backed into my car as she was turning.. scraped and dented down the side from the front bumper all the way down and even touched the rear qtr panel. Her insurance is taking care of that side and is paying for repairs and refinishing, including the wheels which were slightly bumped. The car is going to Mister Collision in Dallas. My detailer, Scott, highly recommended them and from everything I've seen of their work, they are top notch at a reasonable price. The reason price is of concern is because I plan to have them go ahead an repaint the whole car so everything matches and I don't end up with one new side and one old side (plus don't want to have single stage paint on half and base/clear on other half!).

Question to those who have maybe been in this position before -- should I press the insurance to pay for the entire car since having only half refinished will leave the car worse off than it was (even though the car is not in perfect condition body-wise). I would think that halfing a car half new would really hurt the value as well as before the accident, the car had original paint... and now it will have a hodge podge of paint with half clearcoat and half not. I know I'll at least have a diminished value claim for this, but since I am going to pay for the rest of the car to be painted (with full stripping and done right with as much as possible pulled off the car and painted separately), I'm not sure how to proceed with a DV claim.

Any incite would be greatly appreciated. The damage estimates are around $2500 - $3000... waiting to hear from Mister Collision today as far as their estimate for the rest of the car.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 PM
DanR
Drifting

yes you should push them,, just not sure you will get a favorable result!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

When I had my hail damage repaired they gave me enough to redo the entire car. Their reasoning was that there weren't enough defined panel lines to stop/blend into. Maybe you could use that reason seeing as the rear quarter was touched. You can't really stop anywhere on the rear without doing the whole things, and all that leaves left is the fender, hood, and roof/pillars.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen my repaint thread?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

No you should not push them, in the end you will end up in the same place ( one side painted) and have betterment etc. taken on the side that they are paying for and a whole lot of agrevation. My $.02 and I know a few things about this.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dont push too hard they may total it :X
Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Make sure it's a good estimate, if it was done by an insurance estimator they probably just hit the high spots and left a bunch off.

Take it to a place who will give you a more expensive estimate!! (Dealership?)

Once you have the check in hand, proceed to the shop of your choice to do the entire car for that amount.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Stalzie
Advanced

When I got hit last year they painted the whole right side, the front bumper, the hood, and the spot right under the rear spoiler. They didnt do the top, or the left side. Said it would be 2k more if I wanted to pay for the rest to be done.

Car looks great! They used a program that matched the paint to the left side so you really cant even tell. Only real noticeable part is that my left mirror has more paint chips than my right now.

What I do now is always park in a parking spot with the curb on my right side, not hoping but allowing more of a possibility to be hit on the left side (still original) and then I can have the whole left side done, leaving me with just about a full car paint job!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Your mom is evil! Haha just kidding, accidents happen, just wish it didn't have to happen to your 951. I wouldn't push the insurance companies too much because they very well might total it. Hope this works out well for you.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like you're saying, I think the partial respray would be really noticeable with some sections being a contemporary base/clear coat and others (particularly at this age) OEM, single-stage acrylic.

I dunno if I'd push it too hard, similar to what others advised. Bad faith seems to have an easily distorted and ambiguous definition these days, among other things.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 437 Likes on 315 Posts

Be careful, insurance companies love to freak out, and charge you an arm and a leg for coverage. But when it comes time to pay up, theyll low ball the hell out of you, and be very quick to total it. Their reason then is, oh, its such an old car. When you needed coverage tho, theyre like OMG its a PORSCHE, gonna have to charge you alot.........even though we never intend to pay you properly for said PORSCHE. Gotta love extortion.....errr....I mean insurance.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the input... I'm a little troubled I haven't heard back from the body shop yet with a full car estimate (2 full days now they've had the car), and i've been so busy with work to call up there. I'll be calling tomorrow for sure to find out what the total will be... the over the phone price was very reasonable so we'll see if they keep their word.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 AM
C ANDERSON
Racer

AS AN INDEPENDENT INSURANCE APPRAISER AND ADJUSTER FOR MANY COMPANIES AS WELL AS HAGERTY'S ETC. I WOULD BE AFRAID OF IT BEING A TOTAL IF THEY WOULD PAINT ALL OVER WHICH IS NOT VERY LIKELY.

IF YOU DO PUSH TOO HARD THEY CAN DEPRECIATE THE REPAINT OF THE DAMAGED AREA AS THEY ONLY OWE TO PUT BACK IN THE PRE DAMAGE CONDITION. THE NORM OF THAT IS 10% PER YEAR FROM BUILD DATE NOT TO EXCEED ANY WHERE FROM 50 TO 75 %. MOST COMPANIES DON'T DO THIS THANK GOODNESS FOR US.

THEY COULD ALSO DO A PRIOR DAMAGE ESTIMATE BASED ON FADED PAINT OR SCRATCHES ETC ON THE DAMAGED SIDE AND SUBTRACT THAT FROM THE DAMAGE APPRAISAL.

JUST SOME SCENARIOS THAT SOME COMPANY'S HAVE DONE IN THE PAST.

ALL DEPENDS ON ATTITUDE OF THE APPRAISER AND OR ADJUSTER INVOLVED.

GOOD LUCK
CLIFTON
Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

CAPS LOCK CLIFTON CAPS LOCK
Old 03-26-2009, 10:05 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Why is Clifton screaming at us???

Sorry to hear that Danny. I would be interested in hearing the results of both the insurance and the body shop. Knowing local body shops that are worth their weight is good to know. There used to be a place at the Arlington, Mansfield border...I want to say Ians or something..I will have to see if I can find it. When I went by there they were doing a 911 and it looked amazing. I was impressed with their attention to detail. It was just past eden I think(going south) and then near a lodge or something...kind of a smaller country road(off cooper).

Quick Reply: Repaint Underway